EverQuest II Community Summit -- Voice Your Concerns Here

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by ARCHIVED-Xalmat, Sep 8, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-El Chupacabras Guest

Don't feel bad, the "let the mages pet tank" posts are really getting to me too. For some reason alot of tanks are thinking if a group wants the mage to tank it must be because the tank pets are overpowered as opposed to the proper tank either not being upgraded enough or just not being very good at their class (yep, I said it).
  2. ARCHIVED-Traigus Guest

My pet does tank over live tanks in groups sometimes.. especially if the guildie in question is 3-4 levels lower then I am (and my pet).

In many ways, level is king. Putting the player in DPS moda and pet tanking does work well in that situation.

With an equal or higher level tank, I always go with the live guy (as opposed to the dead guy).

-T
  3. ARCHIVED-El Chupacabras Guest

Three or four levels lower and I might consider using a pet to tank, too, due to taunt resist issues alone. Guess I should have said an even level tank +/-2.
  4. ARCHIVED-Xalmat Guest

I guess I should remind folk that the devs do not want our pets tanking for a full group, and would rather have player tanks doing that instead.
  5. ARCHIVED-El Chupacabras Guest

So would I. If the tank cannot hold agro then someone's gonna have to do the job, whether it be a summoner or a scout (yes, I've been in groups where the tank could not hold agro from most anyone in the group, come to find out their taunts are all in the app ranges). When that happens, sometimes a summoner has to step up... I refuse to do it in full groups since I shouldn't have to band-aid for the group due to a flatleaver but you better believe I'll do it in a group of four with no tank proper present.
  6. ARCHIVED-KBern Guest

Our pets are by no means a replacement for a real tank.
    Healers will be the first ones to tell us this too lol. The lack of mitigation makes for a bad group tank if fighting difficult mobs, though they can stand in at times.
    I mean they are "tank" pets for a reason.
    But personally give me a RL tank who knows what he is doing in a group, and let me play DPS as I should and that makes my day.
    What people fail to realize is when they see our pets in a group tanking well, that is night and day from us being solo due to our pets can take advantage of all the group buffs being laid on them by other classes that we cannot provide when soloing.