EverQuest II Achievement System

Discussion in 'Developer Roundtable' started by ARCHIVED-Rothgar, Jun 30, 2009.

1. ARCHIVED-shadowgate Guest

Like the idea but they have to be able to give people credit for the ones that can't be redone that people have already accomplished at the very least like doing all the HQs. I know some of this data wouldnt be available but as much as is should be grandfathered in. CoH did this when they added thier badges.
  2. ARCHIVED-Rothgar Guest

The major questions I'm seeing so far are related to rewards and if the achievements will be retroactive.
    Rewards
    As far as rewards, please don't get hung up on them and if they'll be game-breaking or not. We plan on giving rewards for achievements very sparingly. The main reward of the achievement is the completion of the task. We already have a quest system that is designed to reward you for specific deeds. The achievement system is there to track the types of things you'd be doing anyway, like completing quests, killing mobs, clearing zones, etc. So the reward *IS* is the achievement and the points you earn towards your total.
    Now, with that disclaimer out of the way, some achievements will offer you rewards. And yes, some of them will be titles. Whether you find titles pointless or not is up to you. Some people like them and they are a nice way to show off something you've done. However, some achievements might be appropriate for rewarding something else, especially if the achievement is difficult to complete. You can most likely expect those rewards to be things such as house items and maybe appearance armor or fluff spells/pets.
    Will achievements be retroactive?
    Achievements will only be retroactive if you would otherwise not be able to complete that achievement. So for example, all achievements related to quests will be retroactive because you cannot complete those quests again. Slayer quests that are converted to achievements will also be retroactive because we're already tracking that data and we don't want you to lose your progress. However, exploration events, boss mob kills, etc will require that you do them again.
    How can you see the list of achievements?
    The quest journal will have a new achievements tab that will display all achievements (completed and not completed) by category. You will also be able to see your progress towards each achievement. In addition, we are modifying the inspection window so you'll be able to see the achievements of other players when you inspect them.
  3. ARCHIVED-spun14 Guest

I like the idea.. Xbox 360 Achievements are fun to get, keeps you tied to a game a little longer then you normally work or gets you to play thru it multiple times. As long as some of them are tied to things in old world to make ppl go back and do some of the things it should be fun to do..

1 point tho. Doesn't Microsoft hold some kind of something over the "Achievement System" which is why Sony went with Trophies for the PS3? Might want to check out naming issues with that before you go full bore into the name of it.
  4. ARCHIVED-Deson Guest

Rothgar wrote:
    You already answered everything I could ask or complain about. I still don't like the ambiguity of the bolded but I understand the need to not speak in absolutes. Thank you.
  5. ARCHIVED-Huntress Jellica Guest

Rothgar wrote:
    Thanks, Rothgar, that's what I was hoping to hear. I have no problem going back and killing Varsoon again (and again..) but missing out on an Achievement cause I like to collect things would suck!
  6. ARCHIVED-Maroger Guest

Rothgar wrote:
    Will new exploration events still continue to account towards achievement AA - the most important achievement there is.
    If we have to redo exploration events do we have to mentor down to get AA's or not? Currently you don't.
  7. ARCHIVED-Foolsfolly Guest

I'm happy with house-trophies and titles.
    But what I would really like to see, is fluff-equipment. Kill 10,000 gnolls, get an appearance-only weapon that looks like a stick with a bloody gnoll-head mounted on the end of it. Kill 10,000 frogloks, get some shoes and gloves that look like big webbed feet/hands. There are many possibilities =]
  8. ARCHIVED-BCasto21 Guest

Rothgar wrote:
    Why is this exactly? You know exactly which names we have killed and which locations we have visited as long as we have done them since the Achievement Alternate Advancement System was implemented.
  9. ARCHIVED-interstellarmatter Guest

So, this works just like the Achievement system in WoW?
  10. ARCHIVED-Xalmat Guest

Dragowulf@Nagafen wrote:
    Yeah, most of us EQ1 vets called them AAs anyway (It rolls off the tongue better than APs or Achievements, imo). Which is one of the reasons for the name change, because people already call them that anyway.
    BCasto21 wrote:
    I believe they can be retroactive, but they don't want them to be retroactive. I believe the reasoning is, anything that can be done again, should be done again. Things that cannot be done again (like completing certain quests) will be retroactive.
    I don't see the issue. It's no different than guild hall trophies: If you want the trophy, even if you killed the mob in the past, go kill the mob again.
  11. ARCHIVED-feldon30 Guest

The issue is they don't want folks to login and have 200 of the 500 achievements already.
  12. ARCHIVED-Rashaak Guest

Rothgar wrote:
    Will you be doing a reset like when you released KoS and reset everyone to where they can rediscover lands they've already been in...not for AA, but for these Achievements?
  13. ARCHIVED-Gorthaur Guest

I like the idea, but as an avid explorer, I find it rather annoying to have to go back to every single location I've ever been to AGAIN for credit - I hope there is a list of every "dingable" location somewhere...thats a TON of grey zones to revisit.
    I'll do it, but its annoying
  14. ARCHIVED-Deson Guest

Whoa! You updated the OP! Thank you!
  15. ARCHIVED-Xalmat Guest

Rashaak wrote:
    They basically said Yes to this question.
  16. ARCHIVED-Rothgar Guest

BCasto21 wrote:
    Because the point of the system is to give people something to go back and do. Our intent is not to have you ding 400+ achievements on the day it comes out and then say "Ok, that was cool, now I'm bored again."
  17. ARCHIVED-Chaly Guest

It's funny, but I see this as being more disruptive than anything remotely positive. Went through it with BF2. Went through it with BF2142. Went through it with Left 4 Dead. Call of Duty World at War and CoD4 Modern Warfare. Got most of the bling, yay. Also watched more rounds, more matches, wasted and lost because some schmuck needed to farm another 35 knife kills so he spawn-camped the revives, or teamkilled people waiting for aircraft (the FPS equivalent of cutting in line and flipping off everybody else), or would run in front of somebody else to get them kicked for teamkilling if they were in the vehicle desired. Disruptive gameplay, with the goal being focused on the badge or promotion instead of the win. Did any of you raiders ever play these games? If so, did you not see this sort of disruptive gameplay? I'm on Nagafen, where you kill the guy camping the named and then take it while they watch from the corpse view, to see what sort of loot you got. We're kind of used to it. However I don't see it as being a particularly positive thing for a blue server. Instead, lots and lots of /petitions will be flowing for 'disruption of the zone'. But hey, I could be wrong. It's not like there's any pattern of people willing to act like a tool over personal accolades in a video game.
  18. ARCHIVED-thecynic315 Guest

Will this system replace the Slayer Stats system? If it does is there a way that the Slayer Stat Guild Hall amenity could be changed to show the Achivements/Badges/Thingys that everyone in the guild has earned?

It seems like the Slayer Stats and the titles from HQs would be moved into this system along with things like the hidden titles from the Erollis day quest. Sounds like a fun new fluff system.
  19. ARCHIVED-Alienor Guest

Still would like to see the bounty list (list of already killed/missing nameds)
    Beside that I think it is a neat thing, surely not the one I am missing most, but certainly something good and for rounding up the already good experience. I like the idea.
  20. ARCHIVED-ArivenGemini Guest

Rothgar wrote:
    Please give me the option to not show this on examine.
    Also, please give me the option to not announce to other players when I get an achievement.