Everquest has detected an unrecoverable error and must shut down

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by demonik, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

Let's me repeat several simple hints in case EQ2 is not running smoothly on your PC, so it's not get lost somewhere in between forum pollutions.

- check hardware requirements. If you have new PC skip it.
    - check Windows version, it should be Windows 10
    - try to switch from WiFi to cable and see if it helps, if not switch back
    - try to disable second monitor or second video chip if you have it
    - run anti-virus
    - you can also check disk on errors, who knows maybe your hard drive is dying
    - run in-game tool to check game files and folders on corruption. try to reinstall the game.
    - try to disable background programs like Torrents, stop using Outlook, IE, etc during game session to see if it helps
    - if nothing helps fill in petition and open a topic on game support forum

EQ2 minimum and recommended hardware and software requirements section needs to be updated
    - free desk space should be increased
    - Windows 7 should be replaced with Windows 10 (recommended)
    - DirectX9 should be replaced with DirectX12 or latest DirectX version whatever it is (recommended)
  2. Cheallaigh Well-Known Member

it's pretty simple, this person likes to ignore actual issues and fixate on other parts. do not follow their advice (recommended).
  3. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Regarding advice to reinstall...

That's not so. You can go to the EQ2 Download page, download the Launchpad install (click "Already have a Daybreak Account? Download the Game."), and install it. That fixes the Launchpad if it has borked files.

The Launchpad does NOT delete files in /UI subfolders, /logs, /screenshots, etc. It doesn't remove your saved UI files (i.e. Maj'Dul_Sigrdrifa_eq2_uisettings.xml). It doesn't delete your customized eq2.ini file. etc.

If you have a working Launchpad, you can click the Advanced Tools button (the one with a crossed hammer and wrench), then select Validate Game Assets, then click the green Validate button. I'm pretty sure it downloads a new copy of the manifest file and checks installed files vs. that manifest. I'd guess the manifest specifies file sizes/checksums/etc. so that the Launcher can replace a borked file.

Regarding viruses and malware...

It's amazing how many people have computers rendered almost useless by a burden of viruses, trojans, and malware of all types and are unaware. If you visit gaming sites (even the EQ2 wiki sometimes) or, ahem, adult entertainment sites, and you don't have a competent ad-blocker, AV, and/or a tool such as Malwarebytes to catch the hijack/infection attempts, you probably have malware on your computer.

I recommend Major Geek's Malware Removal Guide. It's a good tool, updated as needed, for leading a not-very-technical person through the steps of identifying and removing Nasty Stuff, and they do it using free tools. If you get something really stubborn on your machine, they also allow you to post logfiles (that you generated by following the step-by-step instructions) and a knowledgeable person will investigate and assist with further help. It's even helpful if you are tech-savvy but don't deal with malware problems very often. I run through it maybe twice a year, just as housekeeping.
  4. Cheallaigh Well-Known Member

except siggy, the guy above kwoosh's post is advising a complete re-install which would delete the files. your suggesation for just the launcher is a better one.
    Kitty Ninja and Rhodris like this.
  5. Kawoosh Well-Known Member

I knew you would.:D

Didn't know that. Nice.

Correct.

There are many inaccuracies in that post. IF done improperly one such piece of advice can brick a system.

And then the part about "recommending" Windows 10.

https://help.daybreakgames.com/hc/e...imum-system-requirements-to-run-EverQuest-II-
    "MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
    "OPTIMAL RECOMMENDED SYSTEM SPECIFICATIONS
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/optimal
    "most desirable or satisfactory"

Windows percentages:
    https://www.computerworld.com/artic...ty-returns-as-windows-7-sheds-user-share.html
    Windows 7 "41.8%"
    Windows 10 "34.7%"
    Windows 8 and 8.1 "6.5%"

Will deconstruct the rest later. :rolleyes:
    Cheallaigh likes this.
  6. Wart One Member

Got 3 monitors. Why you take away our monitors?

12/6/2017 Nauttia | I play in a window mode so I do not have to tab to change screens. I also have a dual monitor set up that helps to box easier. On my left screen I have my sk. On my right screen I have my inquisitor, coercer, and warden

28/12/2016 Scott Adams /I can get it running ok on a single machine now with 4 monitors

21/12/2009 thatonepersonx | Running EQ2 across three 24 inch monitors now

15/1/2009 Arctura | At fan faire they were indeed showing those triple monitor setups, which were cool because they allowed enhanced Field of view, so you could see enemies coming from the sides trying to sneak up, whereas normal players would be ambushed (great in pvp)

21/1/2009 De Alsace | I use two monitors. One 22in and one 19in. I play the game in 3200x1200 resolution. This gives an enormous field of view when used with the “super wide screen” camera option

17/1/2007 EQ2 and Multiplle or Widescreen Monitors
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...2-and-multiplle-or-widescreen-monitors.54624/

Jeolocy?
    Cheallaigh likes this.
  7. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

You don't have to do anything in case EQ2 runs fine on your PC.
    Is EQ2 running fine on your PC with 3 monitors?
  8. Irenicus New Member

I searched a bit of the forum and discovered that this particular DDSTexture error is fixed with a full scan.

Now my question is:

Is it the full scan on my antivirus?

OR

There is a way to full scan the game files from the latest daybreak launcher.

Please help me in finding the full scan button of the game if it has one.
  9. Kitty Ninja Member

over and Over and Over and Over again for years.

First time awful simple hints was once too many.
    Get a high tech education 1st Mister Pollution. :p
  10. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

Cheallaigh, you told us some time ago that you are having problems running EQ2 on your new PC.
    Were you able to solve the problem? I wonder what the reason was.
  11. Grimm New Member

LOL
  12. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I explained this above, but here ya go:

If you have a working Launchpad, you can click the Advanced Tools button (the one with a crossed hammer and wrench), then select Validate Game Assets, then click the green Validate button. I'm pretty sure it downloads a new copy of the manifest file and checks installed files vs. that manifest. I'd guess the manifest specifies file sizes/checksums/etc. so that the Launcher can replace a borked file.
    Kawoosh likes this.
  13. Cheallaigh Well-Known Member

despite a brand new computer, only a month old, the exact same issues... and no i don't use wifi.
    Kawoosh likes this.
  14. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

Which issue? Sorry, I don't keep track on issues...
  15. Kawoosh Well-Known Member

Other parts were previously deconstructed by Cheallaigh.

This 'advice' has the potential to brick your motherboard, turning your computer into an expensive paperweight. Or when done improperly, brick your (usually) expensive GPU by accident.

Actually, Don't Try This At Home Unless You Absolutely Have An Excellent Reason For Doing This AND You Absolutely Positively Know What You're Doing. Please note free advice giver doesn't provide any instructions for accomplishing this. Take that as a hint.

You're undetered? Do this wrong, and your next stop could be Googling things like this:

Disable onboard mobo graphics
    https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/11/360671247403873239/
    “I’d hate to see my advice brick someone’s machine.”

Bricked Motherboard? Help
    http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3041614/bricked-motherboard.html
    "Today I figured it would work if I flashed the latest bios update but I don't know what happened and now my computer won't boot up into windows"

Bricked GPU after flashing
    http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1645018/bricked-gpu-flashing.html
    "OK let me switch to internal GPU and reflash the old BIOS to the gpu. But motherboard won't use the integrated gpu even though I tell it to use that one. It is always defaulting to use the external GPU but computer won't boot with that."

GPU flash failed, bricked GPU now
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3224684/gpu-flash-failed-bricked-gpu.html
    "Your motherboard bios should have a setting in the 'advanced' section called 'chipset'. In here is where you can enable or disable onboard graphics. Locate this in your bios." ... "If any of this is too much for you to follow, what made you think you could flash your card?"

Provided as a historical reference and commentary only. DON"T DO THIS!
    How To: Unbrick Your Bricked Graphics Card/Fix a Failed BIOS Flash
    http://www.overclock.net/forum/74-g...cked-graphics-card-fix-failed-bios-flash.html
    "Whether it was to improve your thermals, your performance, or both, you edited and tried to flash a new BIOS for your GPU but it didn't go over so well. Your PC is now currently failing to POST and your expensive parallel processing monster is nothing more than a big, bulky, oversized paperweight."

Provided as humor and a warning. These are people who essentially know what they are doing. Can you do better?
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/312788-30-integrated-graphics-working
    "I have been unable to get anything to display with the integrated graphics ... I even flashed an updated BIOS"
    "This mb does not have on board graphics capabilities from what I can see, which would explain why you aren't seeing anything and are getting error beeps when you remove the graphics card."
    "Sorry for the late-ish reply, but you're correct that the integrated graphics is on the CPU"
    "sounds like the BIOS is screwed for whatever reason and won't let you use the iGPU anymore"
    "That's what I figured, I already sent the motherboard out for RMA"
    "Same exact issue here ... Only took 6 hours to figure that one out..."

Googling presumes you have more than one computer.
    My friend didn't after following someone's 'helpful advice.' Replaced their motherboard at cost. Don't get me started on a new mobo & Microsoft licensing. A trip to the repair center would have been $400-$600, plus the cost of a new mobo.

Still want to make those changes to your BIOS/UEFI?

BIOS - Basic Iinput/Output System
    UEFI - Unified Extensible Firmware Interface

Epilogue

Can't disable onboard graphics to let me install new card
    http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1962073/disable-onboard-graphics-install-card.html
    "Usually installing a new card and hooking the monitor to it automatically disables the integrated."
    "OK, so I plugged the card into another PC (ASUS) with 350W psu. worked straight away. so it's increasingly looking like the onboard 220w PSU is failing to deliver enough juice."

About Tom's Hardware:
    "Tom's Hardware is the exhaustive, trusted resource for early adopters and experts who are passionate about technology. We create comprehensive product reviews, expert technical analysis and how-to guides, and the latest news, peppered with unique insight.

Tom’s Hardware plays host to the world’s largest community of experts and enthusiasts, who provide their own technology insights and answer questions through the Tom’s Hardware forums."

Cheallaigh, Tekka, Tkia and 1 other person like this.
  16. Castegyre Well-Known Member

While Hanlon's Razor is generally applicable, sometimes it really might be some flavor of malice.
  17. Tekka Well-Known Member

Generally speaking, if a person can't be bothered to keep track of the issues and problems that they're responding to, and giving grossly unqualified technical advice for, you (and everyone else) would probably be better off just disregarding everything they say, and ignore them.

Your system and your router will thank you.

(but just in case, check your wi-fi. if you don't have wi-fi, get it and then check it)
  18. Tkia Well-Known Member

You just made me snort cornflakes all over my desk. Baaad froglok!!
    Cheallaigh, Rhodris and Tekka like this.
  19. Cheallaigh Well-Known Member

finally got to read this... too damn funny!
    Rhodris and Tekka like this.
  20. Brewmyst Well-Known Member

I was playing just fine earlier today, had 3 copies of the game running, with minimal lag (which is usual for my computer). But I locked up, and had to shut my computer down and reboot.. Since coming back after the reboot (which was about an hour ago, now), I've been getting that same error. I updated my video drivers (which were due, anyway), but it still crashes. I'm currently working on a thorough file check (validate game assets) to see if that helps.. I'd rather not have to uninstall and reinstall