Everquest has detected an unrecoverable error and must shut down

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by demonik, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

There's also no reason to add old version of Direct X on a new PC. If there is any good reason for that, then Sony or DBG would do it. They don't do it.
  2. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

How could DBG (Sony no longer has anything to do with this game, and had only lent their name and some cash [probably grudgingly] to SONY Online Entertainment, back in the day) "put" DirectX 9.0c on the game? :-/

And yes, it is necessary, and no, it doesn't hurt anything. That's just the way it works.

Uwk
    Cheallaigh and Rhodris like this.
  3. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

I think that library for graphical engine was bought from some other party as it is. If that is so, then modifying the code would not be very reasonable even if it is only about correcting error message.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  4. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

That's very simple. Try to install for instance civilization vi or any other modern game, you'll be asked if you want to install Direct X.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  5. Tekka Well-Known Member

Your effort at reason and logic is heroic. I give you giant berserker kitty treats, and a whole lotta booze.

There are, however, some nuts you just can't crack.
  6. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Ah, even macadamias will fall before a trip-hammer! :D

But I appreciate the thought and gifts. Truly, a scholar and gentlefrog. :)

Uwk
    Cheallaigh and Tekka like this.
  7. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

The game is running on thousands of PC's and it has problems running on how many PC's?
    Isn't it logical to think that those crashes are most likely related to the other components that are required to play the game like hardware, drivers, Windows, Direct X, network and even location of the player?
    It is not like the game would perfectly run on a computer with outdated driver or infected by virus or having problems with unstable internet, would it?

Why not to try and to make an attempt to check your own PC/network in case you really want to play the game?
    It does not cost money, it costs some time and efforts and give you some experience on top of it.

- check hardware requirements. If you have new PC skip it.
    - check Windows version, it should be Windows 10
    - try to switch from WiFi to cable and see if it helps, if not switch back
    - try to disable second monitor or second video chip if you have it and if you know how to
    - run anti-virus
    - you can also check disk on errors, who knows maybe your hard drive is dying
    - run in-game tool to check game files and folders on corruption. try to reinstall the game.
    - try to disable background programs like Torrents, stop using Outlook, IE, etc during game session to see if it helps
    - if nothing helps fill in petition and open a topic on game support forum
    Breanna and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  8. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Windows 7 works perfectly well. ;->

Other than that sorta caveat (and yeah, definitely install DirectX 9.0c; it won't hurt anything), good suggestions all around. :)

Uwk
  9. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

10. Cheallaigh Well-Known Member

you know, someone keeps posting how perfect their system is and how it never fails on them, never fully reads replies, never gives actual useful concrete advice, always assumes it's a problem with other people's system with this particular issue.

DGB has admitted the issue with a /:G drive is a bug on their end, as part of the game install the game gives you the option to install direct x9c(i reinstalled the game on a brand new hard drive a few weeks ago), the game requires it to function properly, and the memory leak issue was also admitted to years ago by them. they also admitted the issue with the 90*spinning was at the least partly on them, and Jamiss made themselves a hero to a lot of us recently with their fix on that issue.

there are probably hundreds of posts over the last 13? years if not more(i'm not going to search over a decade of archived posts), try finding a solution other than blaming those who have the issue. bragging you don't have an issue isn't helpful, nor is giving bad advice which has happened on more than one occasion.
    Simparri, Tkia, Tekka and 2 others like this.
  11. Rotchi Active Member

If you only posted this before the last live stream the devs had, they had the exact similar crash happening. They could most definitely avoided that crash if they followed your fabulous instructions...

This bug is as old as the game itself. It occurs randomly and have very little to-do with customers computer setups.
    Simparri, Tkia, Tekka and 2 others like this.
  12. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

There's no concrete advice because game or graphical library can crash for multiple reasons giving a misleading error message before crash.

The fact the software is not running on 100% random PCs and laptop does not surprise me at all.
    I would really deeply surprised if any video game would run on 10000 from 10000 random PC's and laptops.
  13. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

yeah, they could have stopped live streaming to make game more stable, see line 8 of my advice list, but wait a moment... :)
  14. Kawoosh Well-Known Member

This is an old issue. It was a problem on SOE's end, and now it's on Daybreak's side.
    It Is Not User Related.

Everquest II has detected an unrecoverable error and must shutdown
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...-error-and-must-shutdown.579070/#post-6443475
    Jun 13, 2017
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/launch-error-direct-x.578614/
    May 19, 2017
    DirectX 9

"Everquest 2 requires DirectX 9.0c" error when DX9.0c is installed
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...ctx-9-0c-error-when-dx9-0c-is-installed.3597/ Jan 27, 2013
    Windows 10 problem
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/windows-10-problem.579903/page-4
    A simple question.
    What is your source for "graphical engine was bought from some other party"?
    I'd love to read the historical documents.

For people who want to see why 'it's not the WiFi' and other DirectX 9 things:

"... we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it."
    Thomas Jefferson, December 27, 1820 https://www.monticello.org/site/research-and-collections/famous-jefferson-quotes
    "All we want are the facts" Joe Friday (Jack Webb), Dragnet
    Or my favorite: 'you say it, you own it' Anon
    Not that I'm 'perfect in every way.' :p
    "from deeper in your mind, there are things even more unpleasant"
    The Keeper, Star Trek - The Menagerie

People who receive in-game email threats, don't respond to it. Just report it. And take a screen shot.
    https://help.daybreakgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/230625747-EverQuest-II-Rules-of-Conduct
    1. You may not harass or threaten other players.
    Sometimes after reporting a threat, the problem ... just ... vanishes.
    Thumbs up to Cheallaigh for standing up to threats and intimidation. And stating a fact*.
    * See above for examples.
    Juraiya, Simparri, Tkia and 3 others like this.
  15. Kitty Ninja Member

o_O
    "Everquest 2 requires DirectX 9.0c"

:oops:
    :rolleyes:
    Cheallaigh and Dude like this.
  16. Cheallaigh Well-Known Member

cracked me up with those... though paxton made me sniffle
  17. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

18. Kawoosh Well-Known Member

June 19, 2016
    "Do I have to install older version or downgrade my DirectX to be able to play this old game (Fifa 07)?"

I'm sure FIFA players will appreciate the two (2) year old note. Not to mention the OLD links.

The rest of us EverQuest II players in June 20, 2018 might prefer not getting a 'canned response solely to generate attention.' Not to mention the other folks who, unlike the poster running Windows 10, may have some other version.

And how many versions of Windows are we talking about?

How to install the latest version of DirectX
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/179113/how-to-install-the-latest-version-of-directx
    Applies to: Windows 8.1, Windows 8.1 Enterprise, Windows 8.1 Pro, Windows 8, Windows 8 Enterprise, Windows 8 Pro, Windows RT, Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 7 Home Basic, Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Starter, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter, Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise, Windows Server 2008 R2 for Itanium-Based Systems, Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard, Windows Vista Business, Windows Vista Enterprise, Windows Vista Home Basic, Windows Vista Home Premium, Windows Vista Starter, Windows Vista Ultimate, Windows Server 2008 Datacenter, Windows Server 2008 Enterprise, Windows Server 2008 for Itanium-Based Systems, Windows Server 2008 Standard, Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3, Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1, Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2, Windows 10

Or try the easy DirectX install version. With less cryptic notes.

How to Download and Install DirectX
    by Tim Fisher
    Updated May 15, 2018
    https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-download-install-directx-2624489

At least I provided DIRECT contemporary links. Not a years old cut-and-paste response.

Then again the generic advice being responded to, is obviously given by someone who's free with advice but never sticks around when something goes wrong. Oh like why a person would need to re-install DirectX files, and not do the DirectX installation, when things go wrong.

Try this common scenario: Much later after the install ...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3461251/directx-problems-windows.html
    "Still, like any other piece of software, it can become corrupted. You might need to uninstall DirectX and then reinstall it. If it is recognizing it is installed, it won't update, but if it is corrupt than it still won't update because it thinks it is good. Kinda like broken drivers, they install best when completely uninstalling the old ones.

Do you have a restore point that you could backup to from before when this started? If so, that might keep you from having to do a complete reinstall of everything."

Did I mention that the Windows 10 Creators Update might be a reason for DirectX game problems?

directx 12 error in windows 10 creators update says need directx 10 or 11 support PLEASE HELP
    Mar 5, 2018
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/i...-windows-creators-update-directx-support.html

What you believe, and the actual facts, are two diametrically different things.
    Again.

https://help.daybreakgames.com/hc/e...imum-system-requirements-to-run-EverQuest-II-
    "What Are The Minimum System Requirements To Run EverQuest II?
    February 28, 2018 00:43

Below are listed the current recommended specs for running EverQuest II as it was meant to be run. Note that some machines may still be able to run the game with less than the Minimum Required Specs.

MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
    • Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E4400/AMD Athlon x2 4050e
    • Memory: 3GB RAM
    • Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 8800/AMD Radeon HD 2600 XT or higher (comparison chart)
    • Network: Broadband Internet Connection
    • Hard Drive: 17 GB of Free Disk Space
    • Sound Card: DirectX Compatible Sound Card
    OPTIMAL SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
    • Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850/AMD Phenom II x2
    • Memory: 4GB RAM
    • Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 260/AMD Radeon HD 4870 or higher (comparison chart)
    • Network: Broadband Internet Connection
    • Hard Drive: 17 GB of Free Disk Space
    • Sound Card: DirectX Compatible Sound Card"

Why do I keep mentioning Tom's Hardware (established1996)?

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/about-us,4260.html#p1
    "Tom's Hardware is the exhaustive, trusted resource for early adopters and experts who are passionate about technology. We create comprehensive product reviews, expert technical analysis and how-to guides, and the latest news, peppered with unique insight.

Tom’s Hardware plays host to the world’s largest community of experts and enthusiasts, who provide their own technology insights and answer questions through the Tom’s Hardware forums."

Back to our program.

In conclusion, some of the advice given by He Who Shall Not Be Named is ... well ...

Indeed.
    Tkia, Juraiya, Rhodris and 3 others like this.
  19. Castegyre Well-Known Member

It's hard to get through to someone who is so convinced that they're right that they not only can't take in criticisms, but they cannot accept the idea that people could even legitimately have criticisms against them. Everything becomes an attack even when it clearly isn't. This is the sort of mentality that convinces someone they have to right to take it upon themselves to police the community. Sometimes it's easier to not engage unless you have the dedication, insight, and ability to do it well. Personally, I don't care enough with some people to waste my time, but kudos to you.
    Simparri, Cheallaigh, Kawoosh and 2 others like this.
  20. Tekka Well-Known Member

As someone who was threatened privately by that person with the intent to intimidate, I salute your dedication to combatting their misinformation campaign that borders on malicious.

Unfortunately for them, I have a thick skin, and have been around the interwebs a few times - this isn't even close to the roughest.

Cookies and kudos.