Everquest has detected an unrecoverable error and must shut down

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by demonik, Jan 14, 2018.

1. demonik New Member

<Verify> G:\live\eq2\framework\render\DDSTexture.cpp
    (235):
    !"unknown DDS texture flags"
    015d066e 015cf464

I do not have a virtual or physical drive letter g:
    I have have uninstalled the game and reinstalled and removed all cached files from daybreak under public user.
    I have reinstalled C++ run time librarys

Help!!!
  2. Cheallaigh Well-Known Member

this is a bug on dgb's end.
  3. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Been here a long time in various forms, no fix available that I have ever heard of.
    Ceyllynn likes this.
  4. Aken New Member

I get the same message! no fix? there's not a driver DL or any way around it? this game used to work on this pc what changed?
  5. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Last night there was no message at all, just crash to desktop at least 3 times.
  6. Sittinhere New Member

I posted this in another thread :
    I was having this same error occur to me at random times .I found a older link to these files http://eq2wire.com/files/dx9eq2.zip with instructions to unzip them into EQ2 folder . I have had it running for 5 hours now and it hasnt crashed yet . I have been doing everything I can think of to crash it ,zoning,alt tabbing,changing vid settings etc .... and I have not managed to do it yet . I hope I have fixed my issue but only time will tell I guess :) hope this helps someone else
    Evguenil62 likes this.
  7. Isisalthea New Member

I just used this suggested fix and still got booted out..... not a happy camper
  8. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

(1) Log out.
    (2) Reboot your computer.
    (3) Start Launchpad
    (4) Click the Advanced Tools window on the Launchpad, and force it to verify your files.

That error sounds like a corrupted texture file. Verifying makes it validate that each file is correct and working.

If that doesn't fix it, then I'd turn in a help ticket.
  9. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

Please check if your hardware and software are above minimum requirements to run the game and that your PC is up to date.
    Usually that means Windows 10 64bits properly updated, graphical card with at least 1 GB of memory with latest driver, RAM at least 4 GB better 6 GB, enough free space on hard drive and no problems with multiple monitors or multiple graphical cards attached to your PC.
  10. SwashbucklerWoman Active Member

So all these people have a bad computers? No way its the game.. my computer OVER meets the requirements and still is happening
    Cheallaigh, Tkia and Tekka like this.
  11. Armageddoux Active Member

Best way is : "validate Game Assets" ===> (Launchpad > Advanced Tools (button on the bottom left just above version name) : Validate Game Asset) : takes a long time to check and verify the whole thing but does the job :)

for my own found 2 files to update (bad CRC), after this update, worked fine as far as I am concerned
    Evguenil62 likes this.
  12. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

If your computer crashes, the game shuts down unexpectedly, etc., any open files may or may not be closed gracefully. Files can get borked this way. That's why a complete reboot and validate assets are always the first things to try.
    Juraiya and Breanna like this.
  13. Cheallaigh Well-Known Member

since the last update 2 weeks ago, this has become a frequent problem again. it's not my computer, i have a ryzen5 cpu, 16gb ram, 8g GPU, win10 64x which is fully updated. i just rebuilt the entire system a month ago, everything from the MB on up is brand new, and till that update i had no issues. either it crashes out entirely with no popup, or it does the exceptional error. what ever changes they made, has caused this.
  14. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

I don't have problems with the latest update. Game is running for hours without a single crash or exception.
    I don't raid usually and I don't visit PoP zones.
  15. Kawoosh Well-Known Member

Check these past threads. One of the fixes might work for you.
    Unfortunately this issue has been happening for a very long time.

Unknown DDS texture flags error when clicking play - Feb 21, 2006
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...texture-flags-error-when-clicking-play.46893/

Which update is that?

16. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

My characters are on Maj'Dul and Fallen Gate.
  17. Kawoosh Well-Known Member

Evguenil62's opinion on Fallen Gate (FG).
    What got snipped.
    Again. Which update is that?

No response needed about never crashing. Your history on the matter, a few which were documented earlier, is quite explicit.

As well as who's problem it is.

[IMG]
  18. Castegyre Well-Known Member

Harcourt Fenton Mudd gets a like.
    Simparri and Cheallaigh like this.
  19. Svenone Well-Known Member

You may be able to get by with only DirectX 10/11/12, but you are probably hobbling yourself by doing so. EQ2 is built on DirectX 9.0c and expects it. When DX9 isn't there the system has to redirect that call to the version that you do have, which takes time. Even worse, some functionalty may be depreciated or even discontinued in later DX versions, and that can cause problems (crashes) for older games like EQ2.

There is no good reason NOT to have both versions of DX on your system. They do not interfere with each other in any way.
  20. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

There really ought to be an official, stickied post by the devs here, starting with the title:

THE G:/ DRIVE ONLY RELATES TO OUR SIDE, NOT YOURS.

That would help clear up a lot of confusion, I think.

Uwk