Ethereal Weapons

Discussion in 'History and Lore' started by ARCHIVED-BollyUK, Aug 1, 2012.

1. ARCHIVED-BollyUK Guest

Ethereal Weapons Fall in Summer
    A rumor has begun to spread across the world of Norrath. As with any rumor, it started out on the lips of a few which many dismissed outright. However, these stories of weapons appearing through Norrath were told and retold, stories of weapons of great power seemingly formed from spiritual energy Can these whispers of legendary artifacts be true? If so, whatever spiritual rift that is bringing these weapons into Norrath isn't likely going to last long. Go forth, heroes of Norrath, and see if you can discover one of these powerful weapons before they vanish from our world once again!
    --------------
    Drinal?
  2. ARCHIVED-Meirril Guest

Drinal wouldn't be associated with spontanious creation. If any diety was going to be pegged, I'd lean towards Ayonae Ro just because its a manifstation of magic.
    Drinal is the usher that shows the dead where they go in the afterlife. He isn't the god of undeath, regrets, left over peices of legend and emotional baggage that are responsable for a lot of magic items and undead.
    In a world where rocks spontaniously come to life, elements can suddenly gain sentience, items can become magically imbued because someone had a really bad day and died near them, or because a divine being touched them at some point I don't see why you need to point to anyone as a "creator" or "source". Though the etherial items I've seen so far are all associated with somebody.
  3. ARCHIVED-Zabjade Guest

Actually The Nameless is more into Spontanious creation (and Uncreation) Crinal is more like the Grim Reaper.
  4. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

^ That. Drinal is just the natural spirit of death and rebirth. The Nameless wills existence itself. Who's to say that a god is even involved at all? Not everything had to be connected to them.
  5. ARCHIVED-Windstalker Guest

The weapons themselves shouldn't be ignored in this discussion....
  6. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Windstalker wrote:
    Feh. Weapons are weapons. They don't tell the story of who created them... unless they can talk... which would be cool.
  7. ARCHIVED-Resstful Guest

Hand crafted items always tell a story of the maker whether tailored, smithed, carved or turned on a wheel to select a few crafts.
    Even in game it is not too much a stretch of the imagination to consider the crafter of fine items purchased on the broker or given by a guildie, etc.
    Hand crafted weapons are an item of beauty or evil; in real life or fantasy. They DO talk.
  8. ARCHIVED-Meirril Guest

Cusashorn wrote:
    Actually every Ethereal weapon I've seen so far includes a fairly long lore-tag. Nothing awe inspiring but they do show some thought was given to Lore.
  9. ARCHIVED-ratbast Guest

Windstalker wrote:
    my first take on weapons names was that they were the plundered stash of different former powers. grave robbers eventually broke into the mummy tombs/armory and stole what they could after we dispatched the original owner. then we kill them (robbers) in the open world and they happen to be carrying Kraytocs cool weapon.

i cant account for their tag tho, to me it implies constructed from different type of matter or magic. ethereal is close to ethernere, plane of magic. isnt there also a tradeskill tier named ethereal?

could just be a tag for bosses own tradeskilled wares, now circulating around norath after their demise. since they are dead and no more in production, there is limited supply, which will all be attuned soon. but why now? shouldnt grave robbers have been spreading loot long before this? maybe the new combine just legalized grave robbing?

another option i see is that these trash mobs didnt come into possession of this loot without consent of owner, and they are actual agents of the owner out in the world carring out the owners wishes.

another option, these weapons contain a portion of the owners original sentience, or are like a lich stone. destroy all the ethereals and poof, that npc is erased. or destoy all but 1 and that weapon is uber. maybe they will be made glass after event is over, and possessors will be anarchy tagged on ALL servers, open hunting season. then like the highlander, there can be only 1. give each weapon a 7 day time to live (starting the event for all at the exact same time sometime after ethereals no longer drop), and each kill of another ethereal bearing person grants 1 additional minute to the 7 days. this so you cant just stay logged out or hide in your house with access off.
  10. ARCHIVED-lail Guest

do these drop easier in raid instances?
  11. ARCHIVED-Darth Stomper Guest

Are any of the weapons not associated with an NPC 'known' lore-wise to be dead? (This includes raid targets that are, by canon, killed.)
    Also, I had an 80 piece drop that has no lore text on it. An interesting anomaly...
  12. ARCHIVED-Mosha D'Khan Guest

anyone loot a weapon and go back and kill the mob of the weapon hm yet? probably not just wondering
  13. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

ratbast wrote:
    Just nitpicking here, but I don't think that the Plane of Magic is called Ethernere. All we've ever heard of Ethernere was that it was akin to Limbo.
  14. ARCHIVED-ratbast Guest

Cusashorn wrote:
    yeah you are right. i was thinking of ultera.
  15. ARCHIVED-Meirril Guest

ratbast wrote:
    Ultera is the plane that we use as a short cut to get places. Also the current where abouts for most of Odus and a tug of war that spells eventual doom for Norrath. I don't think this is Ayone Ro's home, which would be the official "plane of magic" since she is the Goddess of Magic.
    Ethereal generally has a connitation that means "not of this world", "other-worldly" and usually goes hand in hand with being somewhat transparent and usually illuminated. It can also be taken to be "ghostly".
    The Ethernere is more akin to the Greek or Jewish "afterlife" which looks a lot like the world we know, except dark(er) and a lot more stone and a lot less wood (and other living things). It isn't a bad place, it isn't a good place. Its just a stop along the journey until you hear the bell toll and you move on. It is also the home of the Tower of Vhalen and the Deathtoll Bell. Also the place refered to in the phrase "till yonder" that Vhalen was so apt to use.
    While Ethernere and Ethereal share many of the same sounds, I don't see a strong connection.
  16. ARCHIVED-ratbast Guest

Meirril wrote:
    see original post for SPIRITUAL RIFT.

if the original owners are in ethernere, and their spiritual essense is seeping thru temporary rifts into these weapons (or spawning these weapons)...maybe we will need to go to ethernere and clean house. force them to deathtoll tower. or atleast close the rifts.

how does that sound?
  17. ARCHIVED-KniteShayd Guest

I was hoping that these new weapons would have a tie in to the new Qeynos story line, and the ressurection half of the Cirlce of Ten are trying to make happen.
  18. ARCHIVED-KniteShayd Guest

Meirril wrote:
    I believe you mean Druzzil Ro, Goddess of Magic . Not Ayonae Ro, who is her daughter, the Goddess of Music.
  19. ARCHIVED-Rainy Guest

pretty much every weapon is a named mob from a raid zone. Tormax, Kraytoc, the spider named from the Tower of Frozen Shadow, named from Sullon's Spire...ect.
    I imagine the 'spiritual rifts' that are resulting in the Ethereal weapons (which I don't like how they only seem to be able to drop from trash, not named, and getting a master chest form trash is like finding a hen's tooth on the abyssal plains) are the results of these 'dead' figure's essences being torn or formed into weapons.
    Kyle Bayle is 'cursed' and claims his power in Ethernere is rival to Drinal...that he coudl hunt us from anywhere in it. I bet Kyle, who also considers Drinal his enemy, is doing more behind closed doors then just trying for Antonia's throne.
    My guess is he's trying to reform his empire in the Dead Hills, now that his plans with Antonia have been thwarted, and these rifts are from him trying to arm his own minions..or even attempt to get these fallen 'legends' into his service in a state similar to his own.