Ethereal runes too rare for how overpowered they are.

Discussion in 'Items and Equipment' started by Montag, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Montag Well-Known Member

They are sick unbalanced and you literally can't compete with those that have them. It's like there are gods among us that we can't even operate on the same plane with. people we used to crush on the parse get one item and bam their ravaging way ahead of us, untouchable.

Please don't add these instant superman effects to the game and make them so rare tha only the very few get them and instantly win. they are awesome fun effects but now that they're unleashed there has to be a way for people to get them even if it takes a month of farming.

I'm in a position to farm mobs confirmed to drop them and it still sucks, I can't imagine how hopeless people in lesser guilds feel.
  2. forumguy3419 Member

I imagine if they made them less rare they'd also have to make them less powerful (that's the dynamic there, more powerful more rare).
  3. Zanger Member

epic fail .... :rolleyes:

items that are MORE Powerfull should be common or rare(not super unrealistic ******** rare) drops from zones that are MORE difficult (raid or very hard heroic zones)

items that are LESS powerfull should drop from LESS difficult zones (easy heroics or adv solos)
  4. Montag Well-Known Member

Powerful and very rare is fine, ultra ultra powerful turning mediocre players into consistent raid parse toppers needs to be available with some dilligence.
    Kalderon and Brightlyz like this.
  5. Brightlyz Active Member

I agree. Dev posted that the ethereal effects would be readily available in ToT. At this rate i woulda had a better chance at the weapons over the summer in AoM. They drop off of 3 mobs that can only be killed every 3 hours and if one does happen to drop you have 11 other people to roll against. I have killed all 3 on I would guess 25-30 runs and only ever seen 1 rune drop. Thats not even close to "READILY AVAILABLE",,,,just sayin.
    Maldek, Gnomad_Madgon, Feldon and 3 others like this.
  6. knine Well-Known Member

if they are consistently topping the raid parse then they have to be doing something right. This is like saying ethereals are the end all to the game. Yes they may be powerful, maybe even make bad players look good, but to be consistent, then they have to be doing at least something right. I wish I was able to get one of the ethereals that dropped at the end of TOV, but hey I didn't, life goes on. If they were bad players to begin with, then how were they doing before the runes. Its how this game has always been, and will continue to be lol.
  7. Soreneck Sarnak New Member

I agree with the OP 100%. DBG is creating a class of 1% elite lucky devils and i am starting to hate the entire game because of it.
    Rubyfire, hwy101, Montag and 2 others like this.
  8. Brightlyz Active Member

Actually they are the end all item to the game, If you think otherwise its because you haven't seen these things in action, or don't understand what they are doing. Don't feel bad tho because most the players that have them don't understand either lmao!
    hwy101 and Healious like this.
  9. Neiloch Well-Known Member

Comparing them to ToV ethereals is a gross underestimation of their power. They are in a league of their own. Some of them are so good no shift in regular stats could ever overcome them since they are universal force multipliers.

Yep. Real nice the way they responded to player outrage over the event was saying they will be common in the xpac and then making them probably more rare than ever before.

These effects should have been put in a 'epic 2.0' or new xpac spanning sig quest for awesome weapons. The last way thy should have been given out is super rare RNG. they are quite literally 'game changers' as in they heavily change the game once introduced.

If they insist on them being dropped make them super rare drops for solos/keys (myth level), rare in heroics (class cloak level), and share a spot on the loot tables of T3 raid mobs. Considering there are different ones for different classes and even some 'junk' ethereal level procs this is more than fair.

Powerful and rare is fine, IF-IFIFIFIFIF there is a more commonly dropping equivalent from difficult encounters. This whole 'only way to get it is through 1% chance on farm content' needs to stop a year ago.
  10. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

Wich Ethereal does that? Cuz I've grped many with ethereal bow who still sucked on the parse. Not saying it's not powerful, cuz it is very powerful, but it won't make bad players better then good players. Lacerator+Lacerator+Slip+Ravaging rune on the other hand will make even bad players look sexy, since ravaging affects dmg procs too.

Remove all dmg procs from gear, then remove the effects from ethereals and use only static effects with very small differences. I'd be cool with this, and it would stop all this "I want this stuff but it's too rare and I cant compete without it" raging. Then we can all compete on parses based on player skill.
  11. forumguy3419 Member

We can quibble about how rare should rare be, but someone is always going to be unhappy with the level of rarity. I don't disagree that there should perhaps be a higher chance of them dropping in more difficult zones vs. the way it seems to be going now, but "items that are MORE Powerfull should be common" is completely absurd.
    Xerikton and Seefar like this.
  12. Seefar Well-Known Member

This^^^.

Tell you what, let's make everybody utterly, completely, indistinguishabubbly the same and totally identical so that nodoby can ever feel disenfranchised, hard done by, or cheated.
    Fozziex, hwy101 and Laiina like this.
  13. Karsa Active Member

Agree. Make a huge sig / heritage quest that rewards at least one ethereal rune that would feel more like EverQuest 2 and not EverRandom, or let Tradeskillers be able to craft them, and/ or if that's too difficult put them in the quest reward box for the weekly or daylies ( if yer feeling frogy)
    Rubyfire and hwy101 like this.
  14. Gillymann Abusive Relationships Aren't Healthy. J S.

The love affair and continued use of this kind of loot strategy -> ultra rare and game breaking powerful continues to confuse me. Every time I start to believe DBG is listening to their customers, they do stuff like this - I just don't get it.

From what I can discern, the vast majority of people really, REALLY disliked how the ethereals were managed in AOM. Super rare rng drops for game changing items.

Now compare and contrast this with some of the mythical items that were dropping early in AOM. My brig still wears the mythical helm. It's a very nice item, and I'm thankful to have it because it makes my character more powerful, but, it's not game breaking powerful; and it is certainly not going to make me appear to be a better player than I am - ethereals do; in other words, a lucky roll on a lucky drop creates a situation in which itemization mostly makes player skill irrelevant.

So now, we're back to the same situation: mass grinding of zones hoping to get an ethereal drop, and hoping to win one if it does, so you can remain competitive with those that have them.

This scheme burned a lot of people out over the summer, and yet, here we are again.

/Fail
  15. Rainmare Well-Known Member

and what drops these ethereal runes? the x2 raid bosses? super high end raid mobs?
  16. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I see these threads over and over and just bang my forehead on the table. They all boil down to, "There's some super über shiny thing that I want and can't get, wahhhhhh!"

(1) They don't mean for everybody to have the overpowered stuff, or it would be available on a merchant and easily obtainable.

(2) As we know from the last several years with ethereals, an ethereal weapon is only über for a very short while before the Latest and Greatest comes along. I am LMAO at people who have discovered upgrades to their epic weapons now trying to sell them in channels. Just a few months ago there was hair pulling and breast beating over getting those weapons, and as I said at the time, lookit! the new expansion has provided upgrades.

(3) About the time you get ethereal adorns, the Next Great Thing will be popping out and the adorns you're angsting over now will be as old and disregarded as my old cobalt raid armor.

Seriously, people, don't spend so much time angsting, worrying, raging, whatever. Have fun. Kill stuff. Enjoy it when the cool loot tumbles into your mitts. It won't be useful for long.
    Xerikton, Rock79 and Seefar like this.
  17. Neiloch Well-Known Member

What are you talking about? Even good legendary solo gear isnt that attainable, you sound silly right now.

You see a lot of phelony's and Fai Thass's for sale do ya? Gimme a heads up if they are cheap so I can turn around sell them for 700k+ plat. I got a friend who is still willing to break the bank to get their hands on and use a Phelony and its not surprising they would.

Only good reason to get rid of either one of those is if you get the myth club from maldura which has both of those on one proc that resets even MORE stuff. Thats the 'better loot', copy paste and cranking up the ridiculous OP even more.

Stop trying to convince other people of your 'philosophy' in these threads to make YOURSELF feel better about not having better loot. For most people in these games having the 'awesome loot' is EASILY most of the fun. Having awesome loot around other people, having awesome loot to kill mobs. Itemization is not secondary, its primary.

The NOT fun part is every simultaneously playing stingy slot machines next to each other. This is even more accurate now with the solo keys. People are just gambling in the same area but barely interacting with each other except for casual conversation.

FYI I got 'mine' and I still think the entire system is extremely poor.
    Rubyfire and hwy101 like this.
  18. Yards Well-Known Member

Making items like these based purely off RNG is rather dumb and takes all the substance out of playing the game. I'm all for being rare but there should be some sort of challenge for awesome loot not just if you are lucky. Make stuff like this drop more frequently off of challenging content. It's just like the duck portal, putting the best helm in game in an RNG duck portal has to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard.
    Rubyfire, Kraeref, Feldon and 3 others like this.
  19. Reevar Active Member

Scout X and Scout Y same class both played at the same exact level ...
    Scout X has Etherials Scout Y does not ...
    Scout X 100mil dps Scout Y 60mil DPS ...
    Who gets the raid slot?

Scout Y can now spend his entire xpac killing in contested praying to get the drops or go buy plat to try and buy Etherials if he wants to get a raid slot in high end guild.

Give us a quest ...
    Give us tokens to farm ...
    Give us anything that we can actually control to advance.
    Rubyfire, Carthago, Maldek and 6 others like this.
  20. Laiina Well-Known Member

Except maybe for key farming, where you can get quite a few raid items at almost zero risk.

And don't get me started on the tradeskill itemization...