Ethereal Mastery?

Discussion in 'Scouts' started by Anatha, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Anatha Active Member

Last summer I worked my butt off doing heroics to earn coins for the ethereal runes and jewelry. I have the reset and fervor rune. I was told by other scouts not to bother with the mastery rune, so I opted for all 3 pieces of jewelry, which have now all been replaced. I still wear my runes but am seeing other rangers using the mastery rune now. I am confused as I was under the impression that it really wasn't worth it. What has changed?
  2. Vogie Active Member

Nothing has changed, Ethereal Mastery still has a chance to proc Ability Double cast every 30 seconds. I think the honest answer much like the current reset rune is you are unable to reliably use both procs for your best dps potential. Chances are your first Mastery proc will benefit you but after that timing it with a High damaging ability is just not very practical which is why most opted out of using the Mastery Rune.
    DoomDrake likes this.
  3. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Semi naïve question
    About mastery rune - it make next ability to double cast ... how this goes in conjunction with SDA? In other word if you have something ALREADY double casting - will mastery rune x4 it?
    Another semi naïve question - rumor has it that once upon time Mastery rune did proc not just SDA but granted extra 100 fervor for next CA to use - is it hold any water?
  4. Fenin Member

It can not quad cast with SDA anymore, it was doing that for ascension spells for awhile but it got fixed.

It does not grant 100 fervor to your attack.

It's still a good rune of you run a timer so you can semi predict it, but it's RNG still.
    DoomDrake likes this.
  5. martinear New Member

I've been trying to catch the Ethereal mastery for a few days, with ACT trigger. The problem is my act seems freezes frequently, Is there any other way to do the spell timer? I use Darqui, but it doesn't work on the rune proc, or I didn't find the right way to use it.
  6. Talduke Active Member

There are not really many other options. I can fairly reliably get my first master proc in my initial damage on pull and it's a big spike. Also if you are a Bl we are castle no advantages and primals often so chances are good to get it with one of those.
  7. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

- how this compares to superiority rune with fervor?
    Is it still worth it to keep bolster attributes rune?
    I am currently running 2 full sets of new adorns (one that give 25% life and other that give 4 fervor) 1 partial (to the point of 100k AMOD) - 1 blood jewel (5 fervor) and - bolstered attributes
  8. Entropy Well-Known Member

Bolstered Attributes is the best of the "old" purples and should be your first choice for most classes. It's really the only old one that many people will be wearing due to how many slots are locked down by cloak gem, ethereals, and new ones. If you have to sacrifice a new set, most people would cut back on the MaxHP one.
    DoomDrake likes this.
  9. Pitta Active Member

Ethereal Mastery is really good imo. I can almost always time my ascension nukes around it. Getting 10 extra hits of etherflash, or 3 extra hits of mudslide can lead to billions of extra, free damage.
  10. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

So eth mastery more predictable outcome compare to superiority proc? But what about situation when you already running with like 79% SDA (prolly can push to 90ish with reforging into casting speed)?
    From my understanding there is no quadro casting and 80ish SDA I am hitting doubles with Ascending anyway most of time
  11. Vogie Active Member

IMO I wouldn't worry too much about SDA, you'll get 22% from the Ascension charm soon enough. I dropped the extra health purple for the Ethereal Mastery to give it a try.
    Jrox and DoomDrake like this.
  12. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Please share results once you have them!
  13. Azian Well-Known Member

I guess it's been a month or two since I tested but I'm assuming it has not changed in the meantime (never safe I realize). The mastery rune is a separate function from SDA. While you don't get a quad, you do get a triple hit if both the rune and your normal SDA proc together.

I put the mastery rune back on not long after the arrival of the ascension nukes. I certainly don't always get it lined up with a great hit all the time but I do feel it's good enough to leave on for the most part now. Queuing any ability in a laggy raid environment when the proc could be coming means you run the risk of triggering it with something weak.
    Jrox, DoomDrake and Vogie like this.
  14. Pitta Active Member

The stat that you gain from mastery is Ability DoubleCast. This is completely exclusive from Spell Double cast. Its not quad-casting, but it is triplecasting. Here's how it works:
    Lets say levinbolt hits once, for 1 billion damage. Then, your spell double cast procs, and it gets an additional hit. Then, your ability doublecast procs, and double-casts the original hit, because procs dont proc procs. If both of these things occur, i get 3 hits of Levinbolt, whereas i would normally only get 1.
    DoomDrake likes this.
  15. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Interesting ... is it any way to make this proc more predictable? From my sore experience I got most my procs from mastery
    a) Feral Rending (lol not a surprise - this is what all BLs mashing none stop)
    b) Dagger Storm (probably because it have so many hits)
    c) Luclin Pain/Dragon Breath
    Another thing I have seen with mastery it not have regular timing - I have seen more then once it proc head by head like 2-3 times within 15 second interval and than sit duck for another 30s
    All in all it make me think that I want to try dump my 25% health rune in favor of return back Eth Mastery to see how much that add to the parse
  16. Azian Well-Known Member

It's 30 seconds just like Ravaging. Also, like the other ethereals, the thing that is BY FAR the most likely to cause the proc is auto attack.
    DoomDrake likes this.
  17. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

I think I often see a "glitch" - rune proc more often then every one in 30s - I did not see it proc much (or any) from autoattack for BL it almost always proc from Feral Rending (our 1st advantage) which we tend to smash almost none stop :D