Ethereal class runes creating a second class player base?

Discussion in 'Items and Equipment' started by Lemon Wolf, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Lemon Wolf Member

Are you really that short sighted?
    Do you honestly believe that its a good thing that people who couldnt participate, returning and new players should be punished by not being able to compete?
    How is that a good thing? Its bad for business. It will alienate said groups which equals less profit.
    I say it again this is not about the summer event , its about implementing a mechanic that will change the classes and put anyone who didnt or couldnt participate at a PERMANENT disadvantage.
    Imagine they would have rewarded people 5 additional levels for the summer event and anyone else would be stuck at 110. That is not much worse than what they did right now.
    I am sure they could have introduced this in a much better way without this side effect of punishing people. Its a game after all.
    Waiting for a year. Are you serious? Do you honestly think people will return after being treated that way? Again this is bad for business.
    That is a most ignorant statement. But sure enjoy the game while it lasts. With these kind of practices it might not remain as long as you might wish for.
    That is not for you to decide.
    Oh for heavens sake this is a game.
    Its supposed to be fun. It doesnt exist to punish people if they cant attend or dont even know it yet (new players).
    Implementing a mechanic that will discourage new, returning players, or people who simply couldnt attend for what ever reason is crazy. Its a crazy business decision. Its a decision worthy of the orange one.
    Oh yes i am sure people will enjoy being left out of groups and other pickups because of the rune requirement. I am sure people will be thrilled to hear something like "Oh wait, you dont have the rune? Sorry we will look for someone else" over and over again.
  2. The Fonz Active Member

Then they can pay what is equivalent to a 3 or 4 months of game play and transfer them off IoR. Make your toons now to reduce the 30 day restriction. So basically a person who played all summer and kept their account active should be complaining that someone who didn’t could spend the same amount of money and get the runes.
    Breanna likes this.
  3. Lemon Wolf Member

Why should (for example) a new player do that?
    Dont you realize that this is wrong? You dont put players in a situation like this regardless if they are new or or returning. Because if you do you should just declare EQ2 pay for win, set up the Epic weapons etc in the marketplace and be done with it. At least that would be consistent.

I paid every month during the summer event even tho i couldnt play. Am i now entitled to the runes as well? According to your logic i should be.
    Besides i am pretty sure the costs to obtain the runes on IoR will be much, MUCH higher than what you estimated. Especially if you need them on several characters.
    And what if the coins run out? Their amount is finite. What about returning and new players then?
    Surely you must see that this entire thing is one bad business move.
  4. Beee Well-Known Member

Because they see a solution in that for their problem and this really solves the problem (whis is in this case not really an unsolveable problem)
  5. Lemon Wolf Member

Well in that case DBG should just put every major reward into the Marketplace already.
    What if the coins run out? I mentioned this in my previous post.
    Its really amazing. Every time i bring up and explain the flaws in this "tactic" by DBG people defend it without even acknowledging these flaws. Theres not even a discussion about it. It is being ignored like it doesnt exist.
    Tharrakor likes this.
  6. Beee Well-Known Member

ATM you can still buy 400+ coins from summerevent 2017 on IoR and there willbe a huge amout of coins from 2018 there

YOU decided not to participate the summer event 2018 and spend 7x40min, so you have to live with this desition. You have to wait now for next summer event or get it from IoR

Same with preorder buff.. you can get it now within the next 20 days or wait a year. It's no use crying in a month for this
    Sigrdrifa likes this.
  7. Arclite Well-Known Member

I think what the OP was saying and a lot of people have been saying over the last couple of years is the following:

1. Why put OP stuff for a timed period on?
    2. Why not keep them for people returning back from summer and/or resuming to play after a long time?
    3. Why not put a grindy way for people to get them after the summer event has passed?

As ever, you get people who do not entirely understand the premise or the context of such posts and start dishing out:

"you back, you not put work in, you need OP stuff in 7 minutes and 40 seconds, Why?"
    "You back, you pay money and go to IoR and get coins and then buy stuff"

All the while, the people who should have at least commented once in their lifetime (i.e. dev) as to why these unhealthy practices were put into the game remain unperturbed. The cycle continues...
    Lemon Wolf and Tharrakor like this.
  8. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

The reasoning seem to be that you do not deserve to be given the opportunity to catch up with the summer players UNLESS you send DBG a big, juicy pile of cash as an apology for doing other things when the whole family is free. There's just no way I'm gonna do that and that doesn't strip me of my rights to voice my concern and provide valid arguments to wich this is bad. All wich the pale faces (I'm just kidding don't sweat it, I'm quite pale myself) consider to be nothing but whining. I play during summers too but the content that DBG is providing these last years do not last a full year for me. So I quit and come back for the next expansion. Now however, since KA, that is pointless so I quit live alltogether instead and I am not the only one. Are u grasping what I'm saying??
    Lemon Wolf likes this.
  9. Snookers New Member

It's really bad game design as far as I concerned, why would anyone play a game where they are disadvantaged right out of the gate. I can see putting in extra work to get it, but that's not even possible. This game design just encourages continually running with the same old decreasing player base, new players or returning players generally don't last long, unless they focus on crafting or decorating.
  10. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

You all are showing a breathtaking sense of entitlement to stuff you haven't earned.

(1) Just handing you the stuff you want devalues the very real money (subscriptions) and effort (running those zones over and over) that the people who earned them have invested.

(2) We are almost into a new expansion. There will be progression, meaning bigger and better stuff than they handed out this summer. No one will be "permanently handicapped" any more than someone who missed a red adorn some expansions back is now "handicapped".

(3) Most of the people complaining here will never be in a top five raid guild. Probably not even in a top ten raid guild. And that's the place where mix/max actually matters. Having raid armor and ethereals while doing solo or heroic content just makes you overpowered and trivializes the content. Then people whine that they're bored.

(4) To quote a bunch of elite raiders, "learn 2 play n00bz" -- it's not meant as an insult here, rather, learn to play your class to it's best advantage, really KNOW your class, and you will do Just Fine. In any raid group I've ever played with, we'd always rather have had a player who really knows how to play their class than a fabulously equipped player who just doesn't know their class as well. The raid worked together to GET equipment for a good player.
    Breanna likes this.
  11. Revanu Well-Known Member

We are grasping what you are saying and we are voicing the adverse concept. While you may not agreee it’s a good business model proceeding forward once the event is complete, it’s the best viable business model to maintain population during the summer. And while it may be inconvenient and costly to xfer to ior and wel Kronos and buy currency there, that is your only option. Unfortunately, it’s a price to pay if you don’t play. Sure it’s A bit cruddy, but it’s reality. Are you grasping what we are saying?
    Breanna and Sigrdrifa like this.
  12. Lemon Wolf Member

No i am not.
    I never expected nor wanted to get anything for free. Read my posts.
    You people who support this practice just dont get it.
    This is about a very bad game mechanic that will hurt the game long term by putting new, returning players and other who couldnt participate at a permanent disadvantage. How many times do i have to repeat this? 100? 1000? 1.000.000 times? I dont seem to get this across for some reason. Either its because my posts or the letters in my posts vanish on certain peoples monitors for some magical reason or people just dont read what they dont WANT to read.
    I am sorry but i strongly disagree.
    Some of the new orange class runes are a game changer and you simply need them.
    If you dont have them you put yourself at a disadvantage and any group that would pick up that person would too be at a disadvantage. This is in no way or shape even remotely comparable to any red rune that ever existed.
    What is the basis of this assumption you make about players? Besides you dont have to be in a top raid guild in order to experience the downsides of this stupid game mechanic.
    I played this game for 13 years now and have more enough experience, that includes raiding with raid guilds. Sorry but i dont need or want to be lectured by you. Your entire statement tells me that you dont even know what some of these runes do. The warden rune cant be compensated by just playing really really good. You cant really compensate the lack of wards.
    I do not think you do,honestly.
    See? You dont grasp what i mean.
    This is not about the summer event. How many times do i have to repeat myself?
    I have nothing against the summer event and its perfectly fine to attract people during the summer.
    However the way how they implemented this is just stupid.
    You dont punish people if they cant play. That will hurt their business and its mind boggling to me.
    I wonder who came up with that. Certainly a person i would like to have a word with.
    Look i dont want them to just hand out runes to anyone who didnt participate. But they should at least have a backup option in place for the others, perhaps some super grind to at at least get the chance to acquire them.
    But you dont hide class changing items behind a paywall with an unknown and potentially outrageous price!
    This is where they should have drawn the line. But they crossed it and made EQ2 pay to win.
    A bit cruddy? Are you kidding me?
    You dont punish people if they cant play! For crying out loud is that so hard to understand?
  13. Revanu Well-Known Member

Your assumption that we are stupid is pretty comical. We understand it’s about players have a disadvantage, tooo darn bad. We get that it’s about future profit loss and player base dissipation. But fairly sure dbg has had this rotating door of an issue for quite some time. Doesn’t seem like they care. You are able to get what you want, for ways you dislike. We understand the concept of it not being about the summer. But in the end, you had option to participate, and for reason unbeknownst to most, you couldn’t. It is what it is. As for the new people coming to game being at a disadvantage, by the time a new player is actually able to be an end game player, a newer better option will be available. Most end game guilds despite the notion of rookie players because they have little history in raiding and copy/paste scripts. I’m sure I’ll have this post dissected and quoted and be assumed to be unintelligent so I’ll refrain from future posting. Bottom line is this:

You missed the window of opportunity during the event, you deem it unfair, we deem it unfair that you should be given an easier route to shivering something others worked for. So we are at a cross roads. Also side note. I’ve got thousands of currency going up on ior broker when available, illl give u a god marked up value for your constantly post dissection. Enjoy not having the runes :)
  14. Lemon Wolf Member

I never assumed that. You are putting words in my mouth. Please dont do that.
    Are you always so cynical?
    Yes they dont care, that much is clear.
    Whats sad is that some players dont either, which is kind of odd.
    This DBG tactic might further reduce the amount of active players.
    You need other players to group with etc, dont you want a healthy player base?
    Apparently not. Otherwise you would also speak up against this stunt DBG pulled here.
    Well of course i dissect posts, its the most efficient and clear way to have a discussion.
    And there we go again.
    I clearly stated in my last post that i dont expect or want DBG to hand out the runes through an easier route. I even gave an example how they could implement it.
    While i dont think that you are stupid or unintelligent i do believe that you are sloppy at reading other peoples posts.
    Please do.
    Enjoy taking advantage of other peoples misfortune.
  15. Revanu Well-Known Member

I’m a capitalist champ. Look me up on ior and I’ll be fair for you if that’s the route you go.
    Breanna likes this.
  16. Vunder Well-Known Member

This was the case when the runes were amazing.

Runes in general are crap. They do jack crap for the crap spells/abilities they work on.

Potency nerf on beta is hard core and it pretty much levels the playing fields (To A POINT!)

Players will need to learn how to play their class and stop depending on broken stats to carry them. I love it...You already are seeing a massive split between who can play and who simply sucks at playing on beta.
  17. Breanna Well-Known Member

I gotta say sometimes reading the forums is sort of like having CNN and Fox on at the same time.

Sigrdrifa and Scrappyz like this.
  18. Scrappyz Well-Known Member

Well damn.. there goes my /face roll on the keyboard :(

On a serious note, good! It’s about time we go back to who’s better skilled and not just “I have the thousands of potency so I’m the best <insert class here> on the server”
    Breanna likes this.
  19. Scrappyz Well-Known Member

I’ve never read anything more true on the forums in all the years I’ve been playing
  20. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

1. Nobody has asked to be "handed" stuff. Stop making **** up and stick to what is being said.

2. If this is true then this discussion is moot, this was not true in KA and the runes would completely make or break your character, especially as a scout.

3. That is completely irrelevant to this discussion and you don't know what kind of players those who post here are.

4. Again, calling us "noobz" when you have no idea makes you sound like a kid on battlefield forums. "How to play your class" is also completely irrelevant to this discussion. Even someone who is not a "noob", I'd say that especially someone who is not a "noob" does care about character progression in an RPG and knowing that the top stuff is unavailable to you unless u spend a lot of money is discouraging enough for competitive players to quit the game.