Eth class-Ethershadow Assassin

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Anzark, Dec 25, 2016.

1. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

Unless they had made ascension archetype specific, all ascension classes, when level 10, should be as beneficial as the others. And, it should be more clear how/when they work in tandem with each other.

In related news, I don't know if this is lag or what, but sometimes my ascension abilities seem to start casting and then the casting bar disappears instantly with the spell actually going off. I feel like this is lag related, though I rarely get lag.

Would it not be awesome if one of the synergy things was that your spells cast more instantly when certain other spells are active? Has anyone else noticed things like this?

Main point, though is that they messed up ascension by making them basically all damage based rather than archetype based. So one should not be better than the others.
  2. Heck62 Active Member

They should have varied application,beside damage type and mythical earring choice.If you think they should all be the same i disagree,but that's ok.When this option came out i thought these abilities were supposed to be beyond aa abilities or the spells I have used for 100 levels.I considered them a gateway to something more,ascension to a higher plane of being so to speak.Apparently I was wrong in that.I had difficulty choosing which to start,which was good in my opinion.
  3. Protips Member

So, after so much whining, the ability is nerfed to the point that for many people Levinbolt is outparsing their EA while both at GM. yet it is getting another 50% nerf while scorched earth is already hitting more than EA.

This is sooo intended that a lv6 ability should not do any more than a lv2 and a lv4 ability, and because it is good it should not exist.

of course, some dev will say "Don't cast ethershadow assassin then"

As a core element of the xpac, and you want us to bendover and just find something is just bad and not worth casting, I like it.
    And good job all non-etherealist you get what you want GG.

P.S. Thank you all devs are doing great job spending time on nerfing something already in the pit and not fixing some classes is getting full 8 sec double/Triple cast from ethereal rune. Oh wait, thats intended I forgot.
  4. Lithinor Member

whaaaaaa tanks hold aggro better than my healer, healers heal better than my coercer, dps classes outparse my tank.... nerf em all!!!!!
  5. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

Last night ethershadow assassin led the parse in every single fight we had in the raid. It often hit around 6 billion. No other ability came close from our raid force that I saw. In comparison, my septic strike never went higher than 2 billion at i think adept level. My virulent outbreak (level 6) hit for 300million. I don't think ethershadow assassin was grandmastered or even leveled up past maybe journeyman, but I could be wrong. Someone else had scorched earth and wildfire going off, neither of which topped 2 billion. If the current nerf brings EA closer to what some other ascension skills hit for, then that is a good thing.

The skill being level 6 seems to have nothing to do with how awesome it is. Considering my level 7 skill is completely boring and something I will never cast unless a script specifically asks for it, we can not compare level abilities to each other. What we need to do is wait to see what each class looks like at level 10 and then figure out how they are balanced.

I think it's fine that ethershadow assassin is the hardest hitting spell in the game right now. I have 2 damage spells that I'm still looking forward to trying out. I do not think it's fine if it is the hardest hitting ability when everyone is level 10. They should not create a situation that some of us made the 'wrong' choice. And right now, from all of the dungeons and raids I've run where someone has this skill, if you are dps and chose anything other than etherealist, you made the wrong choice--and it is only because of this skill prior to today.

And my main point from before is that all ascension classes are based around damage in one way or another. They did not make them as unique as they could have been. Meaning, they clearly did not have healing or tanking in mind when making them. So because of that, they should all be equally as useful no matter your role in a group. If i'm dps, then any one of the classes should help me get better at killing the monsters faster. If i'm a healer, any one of them should help me kill the monster faster. If I'm a tank, any one of them should help me kill the monster faster. And it should be somewhat equal in terms of the output that each ascension class allows.

What makes them unique is how the damage is doled out. And they are kind of cool in that regard, but way less interesting than they could have been for sure. I think they will be balanced eventually, but we need to be level 10 and have experience with all of the skills to know for sure.

edit: And the epic quest rewards are improving some of them as well. for example the step 3 reward turns my virulent outbreak into a DoT. If it is as amazing of a change to that ability as some other DoT improvements were to other abilities, then we again have a situation where right now we just don't know enough about how these things work to know for sure if they are balanced. Only thing that is 100% true 90% of the time is that ethershadow assassin prior to today was the hardest hitting damage ability by a good margin.
    DoomDrake likes this.
  6. Meneltel Well-Known Member

May I suggest http://www.sanriotown.com/main/index.php?lang=us and you can play with Butters from South Park *chuckles for the shadows*
    Lithinor and Protips like this.
  7. Protips Member

quoting: Last night ethershadow assassin led the parse in every single fight we had in the raid. It often hit around 6 billion. No other ability came close from our raid force that I saw. In comparison, my septic strike never went higher than 2 billion at i think adept level. My virulent outbreak (level 6) hit for 300million. I don't think ethershadow assassin was grandmastered or even leveled up past maybe journeyman, but I could be wrong. Someone else had scorched earth and wildfire going off, neither of which topped 2 billion. If the current nerf brings EA closer to what some other ascension skills hit for, then that is a good thing.

so levinbolt and septic strike can double cast, scorched earth is a dot and it can triple cast at the moment, and the EA takes 80% of your power and you have to hit it with full power. factoring in the effort of casting those spells...

also yea beastlord's primal hitting for 15 bil already, so 6 bil EA is just too much and need a nerf, I like it
  8. Ebarel Member

isnt it funny that these spells were "broken" for just long enough that some people could upgrade them for RL money, even being tempted with the 40% discount and not very long after that is done, they get nerfed to death?
    -Soteria- likes this.
  9. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

What the skill is actually hitting for isn't the point. The point is that all of the people I was talking about are in similar gear with similar ranks of the skills. And currently ethershadow assassin is doing 3x as much as any other ascension ability. This makes it the best ascension class and skill in the game. Now, if the other ascension classes have level 8 9 10 abilities that match it, I'm totally fine with it. If they don't, then it should be brought in line with other classes' abilities of similar value.
    DoomDrake likes this.
  10. Lithinor Member

11. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

Personally i really dont care if its nerfed to **** or not. I do However mind if Ascensions become the majority of our parses. So better if the dmg is "meh" rather then "WOW". I havent upgraded my Ethershadow Assassin and the dmg isnt super impressive. It seems bugged tho, lots of times have i used it on non scripted mobs and my power was drained and the full cooldown was applied but it didnt inflict any dmg?
    -Soteria- and captainbeatty451 like this.
  12. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

I think it's ok for them to be the best of our abilities, or at least near the top. Otherwise the long casting times don't make any sense. If they were 'meh' then I would want a normal 1 second casting time rather than a hard 3.

But I also agree that they shouldn't completely take over from our personal class choices. Thaumaturgist lfg is pretty boring.
  13. Heck62 Active Member

What do you people think ascension abilities were supposed to be?Just more crappy abilities to grind because you are bored?Looks to me like the intention was to grab money from a bunch of rubes(myself included).
    Kraeref and Lithinor like this.
  14. Ingerimm Well-Known Member

Now, the Etherhadow Assassin makes less damage than the other ascension abilities and you sacrifice 80% of your mana, somehow not very meaningful now.
  15. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

If this is the case, then today's nerf was definitely a mistake.
  16. Heck62 Active Member

Yup,just tested it.Levinbolt hits for more,but it does double cast,where EA obviously does not..Probably should have nerfed the point per point aspect first.At this point this ability needs to be replaced.Scorched earth was hitting harder than EA in the raid I was in,But the guy has the Hammer and is a very good player.
  17. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

Even at 1/2 of what it was doing earlier in the week, it pretty much beats any other normal ability players have to press.

Unless someone sits down and works out the raw potential of each Ascension ability with equal stats, they will always be a case of "Omg his ability hit harder than mine, nerf!"
  18. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

Exactly. If it is worse than other abilities now, then something went wrong. If it is still slightly better than other abilities but not 3 times or more better, then it's where it should be. And who knows, implosion may be better. We don't know yet what these classes will look like when fully developed. But one class shouldn't hold an ability that is multiple times better than other classes when it comes to ascension. Hence, the nerf.
  19. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

Fair enough. The casting times are horrific for sure, especially when youve played scout for 3 years and are used to the high tempo lol.

I just dont want it become something like this:

"Temp-temp-temp-ascension-ascension" rather then

"Temp-temp-temp-ca-ca-ca-ca-ca-ca-ca-ca-ca-ca-ca-ca RAMPAGE!"

If u know what i mean :p
  20. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

Well now you got me dreaming for BLs and sorcerers and if ascension was created with specific classes more in mind as a way to truly ascend to the next level. Imagine:

Ascension DoT spell that increases your stacks of whatever with each fairly high damaging tick. Now you would be able to do

temp temp temp ascension DoT ca ca RAMPAGE

Woo hoo your class became more fun and interesting! But alas...