Err ummm Recipes?

Discussion in 'Tradeskill Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Chingonas, May 8, 2009.

1. ARCHIVED-Chingonas Guest

Ok, I have just started playing and thought I might like to try to make something... I have read that you bring up your "recipe page" and make sure your search is unfiltered;which I have. But, I don't seem to have any recipes.

Is there a quest I must do? or maybe someone I need to talk to? Maybe the recipes are drops? I know it's a silly question, and I am sure I am missing something thats just sitting there waiting to smack me in the face, but I can't for the life of me... figure it out lol.
    Oh, I am an Orge SK, live in Neriak and level 11 on Butcherblock. I know that you could care less, but I dunno, maybe Ogres can't do tradeskills, or maybe I am too low, Or maybe Butcherblock is a trade free server. lol, silly I know, but these are just a few of the things that have come to mind! Completely stumped :(

Thanks in advance for any and all help that ya might be able to give me!
    Chingonas
  2. ARCHIVED-M0rticia Guest

When you start tradeskilling, there are "essential books" you need to buy so you can scribe basic recipes. Go to your tradeskill society and there will be NPCs that explain the basics of tradeskilling. fuel merchants that sell all the fuel you need to create items and NPCs that sell the essential books. These books are the basic recipes for each TS class and they use common raws to craft those items.
    There are also "advanced books" which are used for tradeskilling using rare raws. The advanced books are mob chest drops, and you can also buy them on the broker. Most people sell them pretty cheaply on the broker.
    There are also "faction books" which contain recipes for specialty items. These faction books are obtained from the particular city's merchant once you reach a certain positive faction with the residents (either by completing TS writs, completing quests or killing mobs that give faction for that particular city). Currently, faction books are available in the ROK and TSO expansion.
    Here is a great guide for the beginning tradeskiller. It should answer a lot of your questions and always feel free to post here if there is anything else we can help you with!
  3. ARCHIVED-Chingonas Guest

Yay! Thanks very much indeed! Your time and knowledge is much appreciated! You are soooo on my Christmas card list!
  4. ARCHIVED-feldon30 Guest

Strongly advise you run through the Tradeskill Tutorial in North Qeynos inside the Ironforge Exchange or in West Freeport. The tutorial was rewritten with a lot of input from the game playing community and the descriptions are really great. The recipes themselves are purchased outside the tradeskill zone from the NPC there.
  5. ARCHIVED-M0rticia Guest

feldon30 wrote:
    The tutorials are indeed very handy and helpful to the new tradeskiller. I wish they had been as thorough when I started playing on day one of release! Back then, a lot of tradeskilling info was learned through trial and error (mostly error). :) The new tutorials are a lot more in-depth and explain the mysteries of tradeskilling a lot better!