Equipment question

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Sunbite, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Sunbite New Member

Very easy question (I hope). So I'm getting equipment which add to stats (e.g. int, sta, wis etc.) with some added extras such as defense/offense against certain damage types or + weapon skills. But I'm also getting equipment with blue abilities (crit, potency, +xx ability).

If I have a choice, I'm tending towards those items with blue abilities. But sometimes the difference in stats is pretty high (e.g. +39 stats vs +24 stats with blue abilities).

Which would be better do you guys think - pretty certain there isn't a way to measure the difference reliably?
  2. Alakazou Member

Crit Bonus and Potency will have more impact on your dps than green stats.
  3. Sunbite New Member

As simple as that? I thought that was likely the case so have deferred to equipment with blue abilities. Thank you Alakazou :)
  4. Sudedor Well-Known Member

It really is pretty simple. For example, say you have an ability that does 100 damage. You get a piece of equipment with 10 potency on it. All of a sudden, that ability does 110 damage. One potency is a 1% increase to the damage every single ability you have does.
  5. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

Well, if your potency is about zero, then 1 potency adds 1% to your abilities and spells, but if you have 400 potency, one point in potency increases you abilities and spells by 0,2% only. The higher you go, the less advantage you get.
  6. Sudedor Well-Known Member

You are splitting hairs for someone who isn't ready to "get" that. By the time the OP is ready for a deep dive into how potency, CB and Abil Mod work together, he'll have a much better innate understanding of the mechanics. For someone who is just starting to use blue stats, this explanation will get him on the road and learning.
    Prissetta likes this.
  7. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

Yes, I prefer easy explanations too. But if it gets too easy it's time to complicate it a bit :)
  8. Sunbite New Member

Thanks all - it's appreciated.

I don't mind complicated - if it's too easy I get bored :) But I also agree with learning as you go. I just couldn't find any real comparison between "with blue" vs. "without" no matter how hard I tried. If anyone has a link to a good explanation I'd appreciate it.
  9. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

Finding right gear is a huge topic.

Basically if you open character window and look at the right column, you'll see a lot of different attributes and stats.
    Naturally when you find and equip new gear you want to push those attributes as high as possible.
    Each attribute and each parameter is important in one way or another. Some are more important for low levels other are more important for top level character.

As a beginner I would look at the gear that increases you primary attributes such as Stamina, Strength, Agility, etc.
    Legendary items are a very good start. Fabled items are the best. The item level should be close to the level of your character.

You can hover with your mouse over attributes and parameters in the character window to and see how important each attribute is.
  10. Carynn Well-Known Member