EQN: Looks Awesome!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by knightritalin, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Grumbledore New Member

I agree that the proportions are too far out of scale. I generally like the character art and I don't need the armor and weapons to be true to life, but they so exaggerated that they become distracting. Rescaling halfway between the current models and real life proportions would be far less distracting and still feel "heroic" IMO.
    Mermut and Guroleil like this.
  2. knightritalin Active Member

EQN looks awesome, EQN feels like you're in the game, EQN is going to rock.
  3. knightritalin Active Member

Rift is dark,slow,no feel to it, the world is awful, the textures are awful, the environment,etc is AWFUL.
    (keep in mind WoW is like 7 years older than Rift and WoW still looks better, Rift looks so dark and gothic, its awful.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  4. Nicolos Active Member

Yeah, comparing Rift to EQN just can't be done. Rift has about the worst character models I've ever seen. And yes, WoW still looks good today because they went stylized. I get that some of you prefer realism over stylized but again, just as many prefer the opposite and either path EQN chose one camp was going to be upset. There are tons of games done with more realistic graphics so now all that's left to do is figure out which your going to play besides EQN.
  5. Vlahkmaak Active Member

THESE characters in this video are more inline with what I had hoped EQN would be moving towards. The cities look great, the landscape looks great, would like to know how much of it is interactive though and not just painted scenery.
    Kaladien likes this.
  6. Vlahkmaak Active Member

I am not quite sure what being better at anything has to do with anything. It would seem that I am agreeing with you that the Black Desert toons look great.
    Kaladien likes this.
  7. EQOAnostalgia Member

Graphics and Aesthtics are different. You can still have good looking characters without realistic textures/graphics. Have you heard of the uncanny valley?

I think EQ2 falls into the uncanny valley. That's just my opinion. I think EQN looks better.
  8. Kalderon Well-Known Member

Yes, that is even one reason to me, why most other games could not draw my attention long enough to sub to anyone else then eq2. The graphics does somehow look realistic (well... still search for a better word on this, as eq2 is a fantasy rpg.... with little to no form of realistic ^^)... well a more familiar look ;)
    But on the other hand, if the mechanic behind eqn will stand the test, i will go on ;) as long as some part did not overgrow or shrink that much :eek:
  9. Skwor Active Member

At least have the decency to credit EQ2 Wire for bringing this to light. Even though they do practice a ridiculous amount of censorship for ideas they disagree with.
  10. EQOAnostalgia Member

What? I don't visit EQ2 wire i heard someone mention this on EQ1 forums... Also i seen the uncanny valley video quite a long time ago.
  11. Skwor Active Member

I'll take that for face value. I do strongly disagree with your statement that EQ2 is in the valley. It comes nowhere close. EQ2 does trend towards the realism side for style but non of the aesthetics comes close to an uncomfortable and / or odd representation of realism. EQ2 is nothing close to photo realism in any of its graphics.
  12. EQOAnostalgia Member

Idk i don't feel it works that well. Especially with the Kerran race. I just think it's funny everyone is complaining about EQN Kerran and the ones in EQ2 look twice as awkward. Also take that as you will, i don't feel the need to convince you since i don't know you at all lol.
  13. Rairine Member

Im not too fussed about the toons as such, as long as they play ok, its the game and the friends I play with that will keep me playing.

I remember that EQ2 got a lot of stick for the processing power that it needed to run the game at decent settings back in the day, people complaining about having to upgrade PCs just to play a game. At this point I assume that this style will probably have less processing requirement, so at least we should avoid that criticism :)
  14. Skwor Active Member

Yes the Kerrans were awkward but hardly in the "uncanny valley" way. I am hard-pressed seeing how the Kerrans were so life-like that their imperfections caused anyone an unsettling feeling about how they just are not quite human. That by the way is what the uncanny valley is in a nutshell.

Kerrans were awkward because the catlike features didn't translate well over a human skeletal frame making one confused over what exactly they were reaching for as far as the overall kerran imagery.

EQN definitely does that better with Kerrans. The EQN Kerran does feel catlike and gives one the impression of an "evolved development from the majestic great cats. EQ2 left one wondering "where did these Kerrans come from?"

All that aside the stylization imo does not align well with high fantasy which I believe EQ2 did a much better job aligning to. That is what I want from the EQ universe, this stylization, again imo, looks and feels more like a market grab to a younger less "fantasy sophisticated" audience. Perhaps though a higher resolution and more character samples could change my mind. I am open to a new visual experience.

As a side note I really do not understand SOE's love affair with SOEmote. It seems that SOEmote is a driving force for the facial features of EQN and I just don't see SOEmote as catching on in any serious way. Just exactly how much will being able to have a camera change your toons facial features, based on your own, really impact a game like this? o_O Heck most people can't effectively act in real life and now SOEmote is going to bring some market grabbing magic to EQN because someone can poorly act out facial expressions role-playing via SOEMOTE? LOL I don't think so.
    Kaladien likes this.
  15. Raff Well-Known Member

I don't get the SOE emote fascination too. I was chatting with a good friend the other day. She is a lifelong RP'er (I just dabble in RP from time to time) and we basically came to the conclusion that SOE emote is what non-RP'ers think that RP'ers would like.

And its just not true.
  16. Rairine Member

I dont use in EQ2 and I wont in Next (If I play) as I dont want peeps to see the faces I pull when Im actually saying 'LOL thats soooo funny' ;)
  17. EQOAnostalgia Member

I like it. I think it's pretty cool but EQ2 SOEmote seems like an open beta. I think they released it on EQ2 just get it ready for EQN. I may be mistaken but that's what i think.
  18. Shon New Member

I never really fell in love with EQ2 graphics, so I'm ok with a change. I like stylized, I just don't like that Kerran in the vids. He just looks silly. Doesn't mean all the graphics are bad, I've liked the rest, just not him. I've always found EQ2 Kerrans a bit creepy. When I restarted and was flicking through races my wife liked the Kerran and suggested I play one, but I just couldn't do it, so I guess that means some people like them but not others. I guess I'd prefer (the eq2 one) look either less cat-like, or more cat-like, they just fall into some weird wtf look to me.

I'm keen on the change. Whilst I don't have a problem with EQ2 graphics, I just haven't seen many times when I've thought something looked awesome, especially armor/etc. Hopefully with the EQN style they can do more in that area.
  19. Denon Active Member

Agree... I tried it out when it first was released and then turned it off. Even if it captured every aspect of me picking my nose in every detail while playing, I still don't think I would use it. I don't know anyone in game using it either.