EQN: Looks Awesome!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by knightritalin, Aug 12, 2013.

1. knightritalin Active Member

2. EQOAnostalgia Member

Realistic doesn't mean better. The Kerra in EQ2 look extremely strange. They look like someone pasted a house cats face on a humanoids body. Also no one could run EQ2 for a quite a while after it launched which led to a loss in population. Animated style graphics have a longer shelf life. EQ2 is starting to show it's age and doesn't hold up well with current gen graphics.
  3. Venur Active Member

You must have trouble making good decision in your life. Because using such argument I coyld claim that Justin Bieber should make the music in everquest next since he sold far more recard then anyone SoE ever used in their MMO.
  4. Zeoni Member

[IMG] compare to [IMG]

I Like The Old Van Shir better then the EQ2 Kern but given that EQN is a little better the Kern are off.
  5. Zeoni Member

and now we are really Comparing The EQN Kern are closer to EQ1 Van Shir to EQ2 Kern if you look at them the same nose and everything.
  6. knightritalin Active Member

Please, read back to my post;

Please keep on track:
    -> This topic is for mainly discussing the +'s about EQN.
    -> Post some nice experiences with EQN.
    -> Share your opinions and all that.
  7. Skwor Active Member

Stylized is fine but this is almost "Magic School Bus" quality graphics. I would prefer to leave that to 1999. This current rendition lacks detail and inhibits "high fantasy edginess."

Playing with these graphics will be more like playing dragons lair, yes a great game but hardly one you felt yourself absorb into as an alternate ego. These characters will feel disposable and distant aesthetically. The game mechanics could be the best thing since sliced bread and single handidly sell the game, but the imagery will not draw in a crowd outside of the 13 to 17 anime group.

When I play a game where I want to leave real life behind I want a stylized theme that a least matches the risk and seriousness of the intended game play. This theme does not align well with a mature theme and will be out of sync with a mature audience seeking escapism entertainment. Given these graphics I am left believing the intended audience is 13-17 year old's, good luck trying to maintian financial stability through micro transactions with that demo o_O

It is sort of like trying to fantasize about survival in a pre-historic past and getting lost in the story only to then see a sleestak, from land of the lost, walk out in a rubber suit threatening you. That is more a LOL moment than escapism into heroic combat.
    Raff and Prethicre like this.
  8. Kazarr New Member

Looks have always been (and will always be) secondary to gameplay for me. Unfortunately as an EU customer I appear to be secondary to SOE.
  9. Skwor Active Member

Oh, I should add Diablo 3 tired a similar change in graphics. The went for a more vibrant less edgy theme and color palate and we all know what a flop D3 turned into. Granted aesthetics was only one of MANY failures but it was a departure from the previous game theme and it is one of the more serious negatives fans have with the game.
    Prethicre likes this.
  10. Skwor Active Member

Just because looks are a secondary priority to you doesn't mean the quality has to be secondary. Why are so many willing to settle for less so early in game development?

BTW your statement could be easily taken as implying that the EQ2 graphics/aesthetics are subpar but it will be ok as long as gameply is better. Really, is that where EQN should be at right now on it's opening debut? IMO that is not the place to be when announcing a signature product.

LOL "Hey you may not like our stylized graphics but game-play will amaze you" That sure is one sweet sales pitch :rolleyes:
    Prethicre likes this.
  11. Kazarr New Member

Take my post for what it actually is - an expression of my preferences - not what you think or assume it to be (and not as some judgement on your previous post). Personally I am waiting for more information on gameplay and some of the features they are trying to hype.
  12. Ucala Well-Known Member

you are both right and wrong.
    while realistic graphics doesn't -mean- better, it usually implys it. cause it shows how much depth/effort they are willing/have put in their game. If a game was to make block figures, than you could guess that they didn't really do much with the game.
    Mizgamer62 and Prethicre like this.
  13. Raff Well-Known Member

EQN doesn't look awesome to me. Just looks kind of silly. I prefer a different style. Something along the lines of either Black Desert or Bless (upcoming Korean games I'm watching). The 2nd trailer for Black Desert was pretty darn good. I remember watching it and wishing I had fealt the same way when I was watching the EQN un-veiling.
    Denon and Mizgamer62 like this.
  14. Raff Well-Known Member

Black Desert Trailer 2....

EQN could have been something like this...or even better <sigh>
    Baarbossa and Denon like this.
  15. Denon Active Member

OMG - That is what EQN should have looked like! That is sooooo much better then a Disney look.
  16. Nicolos Active Member

See and I'm sorry but EQN blows me away much more than this trailer. It looks like Korean Import Mmo #2,647 to me. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't look bad but what's different about it versus tons of others? All I see is "realistic" graphics that will be dated before its even launched. That's the philosophy behind going with stylized and it was the right choice in my opinion. You don't like EQN's look and that's completely justified, however many other people do and they can not please everyone. I'm glad they chose the path they did.
  17. Raff Well-Known Member

I really don't get the dated graphics argument? Why do you think less detailed artwork ages any better (or even differently) than detailed artwork? Since we're all dealing with basically medieval timelines?
    Guroleil likes this.
  18. Raff Well-Known Member

I hear Pearl Abyss is looking for a stateside publisher...maybe SOE will pick it up for their more traditional MMO customers.
    Guroleil likes this.
  19. knightritalin Active Member

Well, I see where you're coming from but take Rift for example. Rift's world,environment,colour,zones,etc are AWFUL.
    EQN looks very nice and colorful like in WoW, and I don't care what anyone says I still think lots of WoW's world is very nice. Its very big and connected, it feels like you're in a world.

Black Desert looks great but EQN will be the best.
  20. Ucala Well-Known Member

so, what you are saying is, why launch a game with realistic graphics when in a few years you could do better. when you can launch the game with non realistic graphics that will also look just as bad (even worse) in a few years?
    Mermut and Guroleil like this.