EQII Free?

Discussion in 'Expansions and Adventure Packs' started by ARCHIVED-Eskol, Dec 5, 2011.

1. ARCHIVED-Eskol Guest

I had heard that EQII was gonna go free, just like EQII X. I can't seem to find out when that will take place, but I thought I read that AoD was gonna do that...Was I mis-informed? Is that going to come in any specific GU, or XPack?

I was also curious if anyone knows how it will work with existing accounts. I have a 3 year old account with 3 level 90's, a Ratonga Assassin, Iksar Inquisitor, Half-Elf Paladin. I don't know what all classes/races would be included without looking again, but I don't remember seeing those. Will I just not be able to play those characters? Also all of my character slots are used up, so I won't be able to make a new character...

Sorry if this was the wrong place to post this, but I wasn't able to post in the FAQ thread for some reason...

Thanks for any and all information in advance.
  2. ARCHIVED-Jrral Guest

It's coming in with the AoD expansion coming up tomorrow. There's basically 3 membership levels:
    1. Free (Bronze on EQ2X). 2 character slots, limits on what you can do (you can buy unlockers).
    2. Silver. One-time payment. 4 character slots, unlocks some things.
    3. Gold. Recurring subscription (monthly to yearly). 7 character slots, access to all races, classes, qualities of gear/spells and so on.
    There's a few variations on Gold, eg. if you have a Platinum membership from EQ2X or what used to be Station Access that gave you 12 character slots you'll end up with a Gold account plus add-ons to give you the things you had before (as I understand it you keep the add-ons as long as you keep your recurring subscription, but if you ever let the subscription lapse you won't be able to get the features back when you go to resubscribe).
  3. ARCHIVED-theriatis Guest

Hi,
    were can i direct my friends to download the F2P Client / Play the Game ?
    I could not find actual links on the Website.
    Thanks, theriatis.
  4. ARCHIVED-feldon30 Guest

Well you can't do anything for the next 12 hours.
  5. ARCHIVED-Eskol Guest

I am well aware of how the membership works, my concern is what about my existing account?

I have all of my character slots taken, and I have classes and races that aren't alowd on the free version. Will they block those characters until I pay? Also I have several hundred plat on some of them, will that plat be removed or hidden until I play? My bank slots that are full of items...All of that. How will I be able to play if everything on my account is blocked?
  6. ARCHIVED-Elomort Guest

As of yesterday you would not have been able to play at all if you didn't subscribe.
    Once the game comes up - if you don't subscribe - you will be able to play the last 4 characters logged in if they are the free races and classes. Once you renew your sub all becomes unlocked as before.
    No plat is lost but if you hold more than the limit you can't earn more - unless you subscribe.

Edit: Basically - if you keep subscribing then there is ZERO change. If you stop subscribing then you can play with some limitations where before you would have been unable to play full stop.
  7. ARCHIVED-Eskol Guest

Alright, so assuming the last four characters I played we're Ratonga Assassin, Iksar Inquisitor, Half-Elf Paladin, and Freeblood Brigand. I know that I can't play the Ratonga, Inquisitor, Paladin, or Freeblood, then what? My other characters include High-Elf Illusionist, Ratonga Necromancer, and High-Elf Conjurer.

So from my list, I can't play Ratongas or assassins, I can't play iksars, I can't play paladins, I can't play freebloods, I can't play illusionist, I can't play Necromancer, I can't play conjurer. That omits everyone of my seven characters and seven slots. I have been playing for years and I took a break during the summer. Now if I come back and decide to play for free I won't be able to play my account because all of my characters will be locked unless I pay. So that I what I'm asking, how is the game going to be free for me, and if it is free how will I be able to play I all of my characters are excluded in the bronze membership?

I don't imagine they'd lock me out of my 2 year old characters, or maybe thy would? I was under the impression that I you subscribe for one month it unlocks ALL features, ad if you don't continue your subscription you get to keep what you got while you were a subscriber.

I have all x-packs except AoD. My account is 2 years old, but with all the x-packs I have the three year vet reward...Does anyone know how a bronze subscript will work for me?
  8. ARCHIVED-gurky543 Guest

If you have already created a character and class they will not block you from using them on a bronze level. everyting will be the same but all the limitations will be bronze so....
    Spells: will be adept
    Items: Legendary and fabled will be locked you wont be able to use these items unless you buy item unlockers for 150 SC which gives you 5 item unlocks.
    Coin: you will be limited to the ammount of coin available depending on your level.
    Chat: you can only send PMs, normal /s chat and guild chat.
    Broker: not available till you go silver level or you buy broker tokens.
    Classes and races limited: (silver as well)
    so basicly you can only play the game with the basic of basic stuff.
    So if you want to play free you suffer the limitations of SOE or you can pay 1000SC and get silver membership and have alittle more of and upgrade but not much more, or pay your £8.99 and then play the game like normal. it just gives people the ability to play if they dont have any money :)
    Regards. Dray
  9. ARCHIVED-Eskol Guest

Thanks for clearing that up for me gurky! If I'm not mistaken they said anyone who was a paid member before the switch to free will automatically be upgraded to silver. If this is true things won't be so bad. Generally the reason I take breaks is when I get really busy and don't want to keep paying if I will only play one or two times a month. That's why this new free option looks good to me. I plan to pay, but in times when I'm not logging in very often I can just let it go until I have more time.
  10. ARCHIVED-Eskol Guest

Well, that's a total let down...Apparently SOE felt like screwing me over. I pay for 2 years, have all expansions, and over $100 in SC purchases, they lock me out of all of that content...Way to go SOE...way to go....
    I logged in only to see all of my characters say "*You do not have the appropriate race pack to play this character" and "You do not have the appropriate class pack to play this character"

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums...=EQ2_000001.png

Yea, everything is locked except the Freeblood Brigand...I got the Freeblood for free as part of the DoV winter Rewards...I'm shocked that wasn't taken away from me.
  11. ARCHIVED-pixiepuff12 Guest

All of my toons are locked right now too, and I am on a current sub. Servers aren't up yet at all.. so that's one reason you could be seeing the locked toons. There are ony 4 races (Human, Erudite, Barbarian and half-elf) and 8 classes ( swashy, Brigand, wizard, warlock, guardian, berzerker, templar and inquisitor) available to free players. Hopefully you have at least one toon in that spread.
  12. ARCHIVED-xandez Guest

Yah, thats the way its is, sadly.
    However, if you continue to pay monthly as you have done before, all your chars will be unlocked... I know that someone might have eg. played a barbarian inquisitor and he/she is able to really play for free with that char, but...
    If you dont like it, dont pay/play.
    I also have old chars from the live servers (few lvl 80:s) which i would've loved to lvl up to 90 and continue to play with those. Particularly with my ranger who has seen the launch of this game. But, it would require me to pay for ranger, then for woodelf (if not paying monthly ofc). Also, i'd like to play with my Freeport chars, so i'd need a transfer which costs 2500SC iirc.
    Additionally, to get all the content another 5999SC would be needed (1500 for DoV + 3999 for AoD) to "really" get into this game. Doesnt REALLY sound free naturally, but you can play for free also if you want. Just with less content and with less char/race options. Althou, its easier to new players (hasnt starting games always been easier to new ones?)
    Well... lets see how things start to go in the new EQ2 Free, hopefully they go well, since the game is very nice.

++Xan
  13. ARCHIVED-Eskol Guest

I just would have assumed that I would be able to play characters I already owned...I have all expansions except AoD, but to be honest. If all AoD offers is a new class (A solo class at that) and a dungeon designer and a crafting apprentice, I don't see any reason for me to pay for the expansion. I don't craft, I don't design or create, and I don't like paying for a game to play by myself, hence why I don't play "solo" classes.
    Like I said, I know there are limitations, I expected no less...but if you look at my screenshot:
    http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums...=EQ2_000001.png
    You'll see that I have only one character I can play, and lets face it. Freeblood Brigands aren't really a "fun" class to play. His DPS is no where even close to my Assassin, he is still squishy (though not as squishy as an assassin) and until level 90, no one needs a brigand. Even then they only want Brigs with max aa/raid gear. :/
    I suppose I am doomed to pay when time permits, and continue to not play the game until I have spare time/money.
  14. ARCHIVED-Jrral Guest

theriatis wrote:
    http://launch.soe.com/eq2/
    Make sure they use the Full download, not the Streaming one. The streaming client is notorious for it's stability issues (more like entire bound volumes, actually).
  15. ARCHIVED-guido505 Guest

Eskol wrote:
  16. ARCHIVED-guido505 Guest

Eskol wrote:
    Don't panic yet Eskol. They just posted this on Facebook:
    "If you're logging in and seeing that you have character locks or weird things with your account, DON'T PANIC! We are still working on account conversions. We'll let you know when the conversions have finished. Thank you for your patience. [Isulith]"
    Hopefully your characters will unlock when all of the conversions are finished.

Sorry for the screwy replies. I haven't posted on these forums in years. I gotted confused. LOL
  17. ARCHIVED-Eskol Guest

guido505 wrote:
    HAHA! Thanks, however, my concern is that I am currently, a "Bronze" account. So what I am seeing is probably true for all Bronze accounts. I wouldn't worry if I were paying member...
  18. ARCHIVED-pixiepuff12 Guest

Hmm.. Well, you could always wait untill you have the money to sub for a month, tear down the toon you like the least, and them make a toon for when you want to play free? Or wait till a double SC weekend and buy an extra slot for a FTP toon.

I can totally feel ya on the being broke part. The BF and I each have an account, but we stubbournly hold on to our subs. We're on the broke side too. :p
  19. ARCHIVED-Eskol Guest

Absyntheea@Crushbone wrote:
    I am right there with you then...Whenever I play, in the interest of having people to play with I always pay for my GF to play, and my little brother. It's never a $15 thing for me. The more I think about it, the more I am ALMOST, not completely, glad that I am forced to play my Brigand...It will give me another 90 in the long run, and who know's I might end up liking him.