EQ3/EQ Next ~ The Ideas Thread

Discussion in 'Expansions and Adventure Packs' started by ARCHIVED-Aurorum, Dec 14, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-Amphibia Guest

... as in the thoughts of some blogger? ;)
  2. ARCHIVED-Celline-Layonaire Guest

Amphibia wrote:
    Hehe, Smed himself actually stated at the ION conference 08' that there'll be another Everquest product in the future(at least Vanguard forum lurkers already know this). So I think, hopefully, 2098 will be THE year ;)
  3. ARCHIVED-Amphibia Guest

Celline-Layonaire wrote:
    lol
  4. ARCHIVED-Ravaan Guest

therodge wrote:
    might be spot on IF there was an actually VERSION of vaporwarefall. instead of a few crappy screen shots and a garbage video.
    at least "World of Norrath" would have a good chance of being released.
  5. ARCHIVED-Articulas Guest

...It Needs more cowbell
  6. ARCHIVED-Thunndar316 Guest

I got tired of EQ2 after a year. Took a Swash to 70 / 70 Carpenter.
    Nothing to do but raid. You can't buy anything but scrolls because everything good is no drop. Spell casting is more like combat arts. I miss the old days of actually casting a spell and having a spell book.
    The world resembles nothing of old Norrath which totally sucks.
  7. ARCHIVED-Taylor50 Guest

with eq3 they need to do some advertsiing for one thing, never seen anything about EQ2 advertising. The whole thing so far is grand but hard to get lost in. It is also a pain making new charecters, going through the whole starting island and such. Just be able to start straight off if you know the controls don't make us waste time leveling on a small island. Make the whole world into a mass of huge continents small islands, medium/country sized islands and the whole mix, not just a bunch of scattered small country islands, with few large land masses. A way of an entrenching story would be a never ending battle, between sides with capturable forts and recruitable armies of weak npcs, manable siege weaponry, the whole world being a large evolving battle different on each server/realm. even a sides captital is capturable by the other side so they can have both the grand cities, while each side has a small city for leveling, crafting, and farming. You could farm and craft so your NPCs could be stronger and your side starts a rebellion, one outpost at a time. The safe house would be a island the size of roughly australia size, where there is no way for the enemy to capture it, but you can only get there if your side has 5 or less outposts and you die and respawn there. It would not have alot of quests there so to get leveling faster then there you need to really participate in the war. I know i will be flamed for this, but to me it would be a great help to create a constanly evolving story without the need for large updates all the time.
  8. ARCHIVED-JasonArgile Guest

Banedon@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    F that the last thing ANY of us want are a thousands of 12 yearold L33T speak pricks flocking to the world.... CCP on the other hand.... ya i could go for that.
  9. ARCHIVED-Celline-Layonaire Guest

Thunndar316 wrote:
    Yeah. Various ways to advance your character & enjoy the game is absolutely needed when it comes to EQ3.
    (and... plz MAKE EQ3 ZONELESS !!)
  10. ARCHIVED-Khandor Guest

I would absolutely love an EQ3.. I'd sign up for it in an instant. I just wish we had some way of knowing whether one will be made or not... EQ has so much lore and depth to it, it would be a shame to lose it all. I'd even settle for a 'It's crossed our minds a couple times' in regards to the possibility of an EQ3. But, for suggestions on EQ3:

Zoneless
    Iksar *don't care what other race there is, has to have iksar*
    GPU over CPU for processing
    Better animation
    More diversity in armor design
    Adornments should make weapons glow. ;b
    I'd like to see a game that's a bit better balanced between PvE and PvP, perhaps do things like a battleground type gameplay or something would be awesome.
    keep appearance slots. ;b
    Monks should be scout/dps classes instead of tank imo.
    Keep housing, oh god keep housing. I hate playing all these other MMO's without housing. I have played TONS of mmo's for long periods of time, but you know what, I always like commin back to EQ2, working off some quests/dungeons/collections and displaying it in my house. Then walkin around and looking at all the stuff I got just sayin, 'yup, I did that.'

And I'm sure there's other things that I just can't think of atm.
  11. ARCHIVED-Armmiller Guest

What I would like to see more then anything else is for them to eliminate classes. I would rather have them give you points which you could spend into abilities and as you increased in ability different combat arts/spells would become available to you. This system would allow for more flexibility. Some folk might want to be primarily oriented into one area or another while others might want to be balanced. Certainly, with a system like this there would be no more complaints about class balance since there would be no more classes and the decision as to how to devloped ur toon would be totally up to you.
    Also on the pvp servers, all instances and raid zoners should be on perma-lockout. There should be more contested raid mobs and herioc encounters that are unique to pvp and designed to promote pvp -- such as epic guards which drp pvp gear but only to opposing faction players.
  12. ARCHIVED-DragonMaster2385 Guest

There will never be a game titled Everquest 3. John Smedley himself stated plain as day that naming this game Everquest 2 was a very big mistake and they will not make that mistake again. The reason is, when that happens, you get people complaining because "it wasn't like that in EQ1" because they assume a sequel will carry innate traits of its predecessor. They may do another game based on Norrath, but it will NOT be a sequel.

I don't know why people are so ready to write off this game anyway; it is the most well polished MMOs on the market. Are you really that excited to beta test a new game while paying for it?
  13. ARCHIVED-Khandor Guest

I'm not ready to write this game off at all, I really enjoy playing it. I've played it since beta and have left the game 3 times for WoW, though never canceled my subscription, and I have left WoW 3 times in return to come back to EQ2, but each time I did that, I canceled my subscription with WoW.

It just seems to me that there's a lot of issues that are being addressed by numerous players, but no real response from the devs or anyone regarding those issues. Also EQ2 appears to be losing subscribers at a decent rate according to the charts I've seen on various websites. The only thing I am wondering is if SoE has put EQ2 on the backburner for another project, which if that is true, I think everyone is hoping for an EQ3. But talking about it won't hurt anything either, maybe talking about what we want in EQ3 will give some insight to developers for EQ2, or a possible EQ3

Also, I don't trust everything I hear, just because he said there will not be an EQ3 doesn't mean anything. It was stated during beta 'EQ2 will never have PvP' and look how that turned out? It was even in the FAQ's on the website. Most of the people I tried to get to join EQ2 refused to because of that message since they wanted PvP so bad. But now we have PvP, so anything can happen.
  14. ARCHIVED-DragonMaster2385 Guest

You can't trust any charts from any website; they don't have accurate information since the subscription numbers are proprietary. All MMOs go through a steady decline of population, especially during the summer, but they all bounce back up when new expansions come out. Since TSO comes out this November, you will see a huge boost in population. Honestly, I haven't noticed a dramatic population drop on my server. I've seen a few raiding guilds disband, but then I see just as many being formed. And I am not having a harder time grouping than I have before, so everything seems pretty steady to me.
  15. ARCHIVED-Gilasil Guest

I can dream too.
    EQ2 definately got off on the wrong foot. It did some good things (loved the graphics) but too many bad things (shattered lands, forced grouping, dumping everyone into two cities for starters)
    What would be high on my wish list:
    Keep the realistic high end graphics. They make the game and are the main reason I gave it another chance. Provide a much lower end graphics engine with EQ1 style graphics for those whose systems are, to be polite, junk.
    Go back to individual cities for each race scattered over the landscape. It did wonders for immersion. My Iksar soaked up a lot of Iksar lore in and around Cabilis back then. Each city should be near a major adventuring area -- as much as possible have the racial cities be quest hubs for the surrounding area.
    Get rid of shattered lands. As others have said it just didn't work out.
    Fewer classes. There's no need for both monks and bruisers. Just have a martial artist class and be done with it.
    A more relistic spread out look. I hear Vanguard has that look.
    Keep it largely soloable but have things for groups and raids. Work on ways of breaking the ice when forming groups. Some people are not naturally gregarious. Make sure that the number of positions in a raid is much greater then the number of classes.
    Work REAL HARD at avoiding having to do major changes to the game while running. There's no quicker way to chase away players.
    Have race mean more. There is something just plain wrong about a gnome hitting harder then an ogre.
    Consider non-biped races. The now defunct game Horizons let you play a dragon. While that doesn't fit here, they could let you play a small draconic like creature that's no more powerful then any other race. Some races might be able to fly. That would be a racial ability which would be balanced out by other things they could not do.
    Keep the PvE. PvP ONLY to the extent it doesn't affect PvE.
    Truly huge landscape.
    Find ways for people to interact other then killing stuff in groups of six (or one). For example, perhaps a guild could do a D&D (original books) idea and set up a stronghold out in the wilderness. They'll have to clear out the monsters, hire NPCs to build and staff it, deal with ongoing threats, arrange trade, negotiate with neighbors (both PC and NPC). It would open up all sorts of things people could do and bring more depth to the game. If they're successful NPCs will gradaully settle by their stronghold and eventually they'll be running their own city. (and yes this also means player constructable structures and a world big enough that they won't dominate the landscape).
    Give us mounts -- including flying mounts. Mounts available starting at relatively low level. Maybe allow each account to have a non-instanced homestead (see above for a guild varient).
    More realistic treatment of mounted combat. I WANT CHARGES AND LANCES!
    With the flying mounts and characters also have aerial combat. It would literally add a new dimension to the game.
    Player built ships and ocean combat to go with them.
    If there are NPC ships (such as the ones in EQ1 and EQ2) PLEASE give them a crew. No more robot ships please.
    Encourage trade caravans. Have areas in which key resources which are extremely rare elsewhere are fairly common. The only way into or out of the area is long and dangerous. Perhaps introduce carts and wagons as a way to haul more stuff although it slows you down. Make it so that sometimes players literally have to circle the wagons to fight off something.
    Go for full disclosure at character creation time. List the strong and weak points of each class and race even if it's a couple pages of text for each. Then do VERY few adjustments in the name of balance. If you don't like it that your gnome mage can't tank worth squat you shouldn't have rolled one but don't ask them to change the game for everyone just because you don't want to reroll.
    Finally and most important. Make SURE that the person you put in charge of this thing has a clue.
  16. ARCHIVED-Khandor Guest

Gilasil wrote:
    Actually, during beta one of the things that were commonly spoke of was how the devs wanted to allow players to have their own ships to get to other continents, but the idea was scrapped like many others.

There were also several NPC ships that were in place instead of most of the bells. There used to be a boat that you could go on in commonlands, but it took you to the entrance of nek, which was odd, but there used to be a lot of ships based around the game, which would make sense since a lot of the world is now ocean.

I'd like to see an iksar only city, but... neutral or something so I can be a monk. ;b Well, I'd be a swifttail monk, that'd rock.

I noticed a lot of things that were planned during alpha/beta of EQ2 but were scrapped are things that I see players wanting. lol.
  17. ARCHIVED-Aishrod Guest

Khandor wrote:
    Hmm I think adornments should change the weapon looks slightly. So if you added a pommel, your weapon would have a different looking one when the adornment is added :) "Enchantments" or "Potions" added to your weapon, should make it glow I think though. But with what I read with adornments, it seems to be improvements on the weapon itself, not a magical addition to it ( not saying what is added through the pommel isn't magical).
  18. ARCHIVED-Aarionn Guest

Hi all,

In my oppinion, if they want to make eq3 or whatever new MMO in order for it to be succesfull it must contain 3 games in 1, that is>

1. Solo line - which would ensure that mostly solo players will have a chance to advance through game with no or little grouping,

2. Group line - for people that like to play in groups mostly. Highest reward and achievement should be available for this ppl. Better loot, but much harder quests and zones.

3. Raid line - for ppl that are up to most chalanging fights and quests, with rewards much better than for grp or solo players.

I know it is hard to make, and basicaly, game would have to have tons of content at release, but that is the pnly way IMHO that new MMO can succeed.

If done like this, noone would have a right to whine. Eq2 in the begining was hard core grouping game, so soloers didnt like it. Now everyone would have something to do, and achievement would be according to what you want to invest in this game.

My 2 cents.

Best regards,
  19. ARCHIVED-ProteinPlus3 Guest

20. ARCHIVED-ProteinPlus3 Guest