EQ3/EQ Next ~ The Ideas Thread

Discussion in 'Expansions and Adventure Packs' started by ARCHIVED-Aurorum, Dec 14, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-Aurorum Guest

2. ARCHIVED-Aurorum Guest

3. ARCHIVED-Mendou Guest

A little birdie encouraged me to scribble this here as well so here go my 2cp for how EQ2 can hold its own with the newer games on the horizon:

**Fix the whole multi-core thing so that the average new-ish PC can run the game without all the tweaking. Not everyone that plays video games is technologically inclined so making the game as easy (and stress free) as possible to get up and running is essential. Just look at all the "WoW/Crysis/insert-uber-game-here runs fine on my PC, why not EQ2?" threads clogging the boards.

**Advertise EQ2 as the PvE friendly alternative to all the hot new titles. That's one of EQ2's strengths so why not play it up? Crafting, housing, lore, alternative means of advancement (as opposed to grinding), etc. The simple volume of content alone *should* be a huge selling point. Let folks know they won't run out of stuff to do in 2 months and be looking for another game to plunk $50 on.

**Invest some time/money into improving EQ2 PvP so it could be more competitive with the other options. I don't have a slot free for a PvP toon at the moment and knowing my temperament it likely would get old fast for me. But I've lurked on the PvP boards for a while trying for figure out what the big draw was. From what I've read/heard it is glaringly obvious to PvP lovers that it is/was an afterthought to stick PvP in EQ2. These newer games have identified PvP as a cash cow and they're aiming to collect. If they provide a viable substitute for our disgruntled PvPers (and WoW's for that matter) why would they not jump ship?

Scrambling to fix PvP now would reek of trying to catch up to the pack though (imo) while playing up the existing strengths instead would IMO come off a bit better. Either way SoE needs to evaluate their options and decide if they're gonna wait for the dust to settle and play catch up or be proactive.

And here's a new one that needs to happen specifically for the next expansion: UPDATE THE TRIAL
    **Post only one trial, the updated one. (No more Trial of the Isle vs. Play the Fae confusion)
    **Post the total download file size prominently so gamers know what to expect when they click download. If they know they're going to DL 5, 7, or 10gb of content they won't be as apt to flame the boards when they can't logon in 20 min on DSL.
    **Explain that the DL is actually a huge portion of the final game or rig it so they only DL a limited trial-only zone. (A smaller DL would likely be immensely more popular. )
  4. ARCHIVED-Meinen Guest

How about SoE just gives up the online gaming business altogether and Sony can invest the money in making an inexpensive blu-ray player? hmm...i like that idea.
  5. ARCHIVED-Aurorum Guest

6. ARCHIVED-Qandor Guest

Bio_sonik wrote:
    An erotic pack for EQ2 would be bare elbows. That alone would be scandalous here.
  7. ARCHIVED-ClawHammr Guest

8. ARCHIVED-HighFructose Guest

Don't worry. They've already said making a sequel to EQ was a mistake...
    so a mistake of a mistake isn't likely. No matter how much we may want it.
  9. ARCHIVED-Celena Guest

HighFructose wrote:
    Do you have a link or quote on that??
  10. ARCHIVED-Hukklebuk Guest

Celena wrote:
    The mistake wasn't in making the sequel HighFructose, it was in naming it:

http://www.warcry.com/articles/view...ith-the-SOE-CEO

"In hindsight, I wish we could have had a do-over and not called it EverQuest II," he said frankly. "I doubt you will see us do that again."

bottom of page 1...
  11. ARCHIVED-Celena Guest

Tormod@Blackburrow wrote:
    Thanx for clearing that up, Tormod. I knew there had to be some sort of confusion.
  12. ARCHIVED-ZThoth Guest

Give us a game with graphical artistic flare, runs great on midrange systems (even Macs), has a seamless world and with an engine that is fully optimized for multi-core, multi-GPU systems.
  13. ARCHIVED-Plaguemeister Guest

There will be no EQ3 - the next big push by SOE will be Free Realms, marketed towards kids/teenagers and Agency, marketed towards adualts. The rest of us that enjoyed EQ1/2 will have to look to a different company.
  14. ARCHIVED-Rahatmattata Guest

I personally hate puzzle zones like unrest and nek castle. Then again I've never really liked puzzles/riddles/who done it mysteries and such in the first place. Probably just me. After doing the zone once the puzzle is over then it just becomes a chore.
  15. ARCHIVED-Rahatmattata Guest

Indalecio@Befallen wrote:
    I'd buy it.
  16. ARCHIVED-ZThoth Guest

Aurorum wrote:
    Nice photoshop job (though it would be nice if true), SOE really needs to give us some info on the expansion!
  17. ARCHIVED-Maydrid Guest

Vlahkmaak@Venekor wrote:
    You have a link to go with your information?
  18. ARCHIVED-Ravaan Guest

Call it World of Norrath and make it a pure sandbox game (ala EVE)
    Skill Based Character creation
    make an indepth economy/crafting system non recipe based
    make "lawless" area that are open to PVP which one can avoid however have MANY bonuses if you control said area.
    Player Cities, mining posts and castles ... which are all attackable
  19. ARCHIVED-therodge Guest

Ravaan wrote:
    basically a crappyer version of darkfall
  20. ARCHIVED-Celline-Layonaire Guest

Shinreu@Kithicor wrote:
    Go to massively.com and search 'EQ3' then ya all will know what's goin' on 4 sure ;)