EQ2i Wikia not displaying properly on the in-game browser.

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Dave Gallant, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

The only correct decision (if for DB her players in the full-screen mode are not indifferent) - to promote moving of wiki on other platform (not fandom.com). Other platform - it's much simpler and cheaper than to do something with the browser and to support it in a "relevant" state. In other words to create a mirror (with regular updating) for wiki which will be displayed in the in-game browser
  2. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Oh good. You just volunteered to find an alternate site and somehow figuring out how to move the tens of thousands of articles (plus all the graphics) from the current wiki. Let me and Chillispike know when you have found an appropriate new site, and have the scripts written and tested for transferring the data. Oh, and the new site must support standard wiki markup, must allow customizable templates, and should support custom CSS.

In case you aren't aware, the wiki is a purely volunteer operated fan site. It was started on Wikia before Fandom bought it, probably because it was a working wiki that was free. The Wiki has no control over the in-game browser. The Wiki also has no control over some of the changes Fandom made when they came in, such as scrapping the Monobook CSS that was "plain vanilla" enough for the ingame browser to handle.
    Breanna and Weresnail like this.
  3. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

I will not begin to do anything (because I am a guest). Also as devs will not begin to saw the browser which got to them in inheritance (It so? In inheritance?). But perhaps I understood that I wrote here (and why)? I also understand that the main and our common problem (to take it and to make it) is the deficiency of time. And I wrote "to promote". Here you already promoted slightly, having answered here :)
    Rhodris likes this.
  4. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

it's strange that I did not see in this theme of messages about start of EQii through Steam and use of the Steam browser in the game for display of our Wiki. My Steam is adapted on start of .application but not .exe of files (I'm not user of Windows :cool: ) so to me it's problematic to check it :confused:
  5. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

No :( It's similar that the in-game EQ ii browser is absolutely useless (as dust under a sofa). That is: 1) I take for example Download Master or Offline Browser, and I copy Wiki with all its markups (eq2.fandom.com/wiki/) on my virtual disk, such as dropbox, onedrive etc. 2) /browser in the game. I come into my mail (a Nightmare! Copying from the buffer does not work! Data input in manual). Came. 3) I find out that navigation in the account does not work. I draw a conclusion that I cannot look through the website copied from Wiki from the game (I cannot reach it). At the same time I can look through the copy of the website in the account, passing from the page to the page, for example in old Opera on Presto engine (it's stopped 2012). 4) Question. Why such in-game browser is necessary?! It's the generatorofbugs? That is now, having looked better, I see that what I offered earlier will not help. This in-game pi-pi-pi browser at best just stuff. Throw out or replace. It's well that I play always in the window mode :) Edit: However google translate works somehow. leave it then for the sake of it ..
  6. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

It seems to me you complicate. Perhaps certain spam and spies or something like that multimedia and obviously not necessary, superfluous, present at the real Wiki don't allow to use normally it in very old browsers. Perhaps, a simple clone to allow to solve a problem of its viewing in the in-game browser with Wiki? The simple clone becomes simply, for example by means of a plug-in for DM. The person interested to make Wiki at itself, in the game, will need loading of voluminous number of data on some server, and at first these data need to be copied on the real disk. What does not allow to browse Wiki on the website Fandom isn't the system of interrelation of information and not structure for viewing, not hyperlinks (they are also cloned by the corresponding software). That that another does not allow to load pages. Therefore a clone without the "necessary" stuff I think to allow to make it. A problem only that it will be the copy fixed in time. And it's necessary to update data manually. I just think what DBG if wanted, could make easily so that users of the full-screen mode could browse Wiki in this game. Or that who would need very it could independently, having spent two-three evenings (if it has very nice I-net) for it, to make so for itself and others (I, as well as many don't use the in-game browser therefore for me it's violet)
  7. Prox Well-Known Member

As long as I have played EQ2, since 2005 . The ingame browser has not worked correctly. Oh it has "worked", so to say. I personally have never found it to work in a way that made me want to fumble through using it. Opening a browser on a separate screen , which is what I choose to do . I find works so much better , with total functionality.
    Juraiya and Breanna like this.
  8. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Attempting to maintain two identical data storehouses manually is a nightmare. If you look at the wiki's Recent Changes page, you will see that this would be impossible.

It would be easy for DBG to provide a better in-game browser. One that has already been mentioned is Ultralite. However, it isn't free, and DBG is struggling with cash flow. So as long as money is scarce, projects like this are unlikely to happen. Moreso because there are easy workarounds. (Using DarqUI allows you to click a link and open it in an external browser; you can run in windowed mode with the window open as large as space permits so you can tab to your browser, usw.
    Prox and Breanna like this.
  9. Leonitas of Potato Situational Awareness

i personally do not want or need the ingame browser to work. all i want is someplace in our settings where we can check or uncheck whether it uses ingame or external browser.

the reason being, my ui has little buttons on the quest helper, that takes you directly to that quest. it would save so much time if i can click that button and my external browser loads the right quest up. Yes, i understand i can type in the name of the quest manually on eq2i. some of the quest names are so friggin long, especially for sig lines, panda quests, etc, time is wasted trying to find the right quest.

but lets be real here...how much time and resources would it take to add that setting or option, and/or update to a current browser. as one can argue that thousands of people can easily work around this, they could just as easily spend a few minutes for SOME sort of fix. and the reason i say this: i am positive it asked me, just 1 time, whether to use the internal or external browser. but i think it was for the euro server. if its already setup like that for those folks, it shouldnt be that hard to allow folks on USA servers the same option.
  10. Amalar The combined salt from all of SOE/DBGs fallen MMOs

Holey necro. They gotta start locking posts with no response after one year :rolleyes:

Also, if the in-game browser is still there, it is only serving as a security vulnerability... It's time to take it out back...
    Juraiya likes this.
  11. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

DarqUI has a tool that lets you force it to open links in an external browser.
  12. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

i really regretted having written on this thema before. because then they removed it. it would be better left as it's. if they left it, then we could view own wiki on own online disk.. for this, it (kind old, seemingly good for nothing in-game browser) still was good.. And it didn't creates any security problems.. as if this game client doesn't already contain more than two gb of garbage