EQ2i Wikia not displaying properly on the in-game browser.

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Dave Gallant, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Dave Gallant New Member

I have contacted Fandom who owns eq2.wikia.com/. I told them that their website no longer displays on the in game browser. They did an investigation and found that the in'game browser is based on Chrome v.18 which is 6 years old. They claim that the only way to solve the issue is for Daybreak to upgrade the in-game browser to a newer version. This is a very important website for many players and since Daybreak actually links this website on their own website they should fix the problem. Please update the browser.

Thank you
    A very disappointed customer.
    Juraiya and Weresnail like this.
  2. Wilowsong Active Member

I don't use the in game browser, I open my computer's browser. I know this may be hard if you don't have two screens, but I'm offering this solution.
    Hope this helps,
    Wilowsong.
    Lateana likes this.
  3. Dave Gallant New Member

I prefer to use the full screen option and the in-game browser. I am currently doing what you suggested and it works but is not as convenient as the in-game browser option. Thanks for responding though. I just think that daybreak needs to upgrade their system to allow for current websites to work. I am no programmer so I don't know how difficult my request would be but I am sure it's possible.
    Lateana likes this.
  4. Dude Well-Known Member

Just use your regular browser. No need for the development team to focus limited resources on a "problem" that has an easy work around.
    Wilowsong likes this.
  5. Wilowsong Active Member

You're welcome. Sorry I couldn't help! :(
  6. Dave Gallant New Member

I don't think upgrading the browser to a more recent version would be that much of an undertaking. that website is relied on by many and lots of ui's link to it automatically. It's not too much to ask for it to display properly. In it's current state it is completely unusable. The dev who makes and updates the ui that I use gave me a work around which I am using and it works but is a pain to use this way. Zam for eq2 displays fine and many others do as well but for me, eq2i is much more intuitive and contains more detailed info.
  7. Mysstie Well-Known Member

I run EQ2 as a full-screen window where I see the title bar on top and taskbar on bottom. Makes it easier to swap between it and the browser.

Still have to use the in-game browser to submit POIs to EQ2Maps though.
    Sigrdrifa likes this.
  8. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

The spousal unit just put chrome on his machine, he never actually uses chrome but he can get the wiki on the in-game browser. At least he could when he played, he has been on strike for about 5 months now. *glares at the spousal unit*
    Dude and Rhodris like this.
  9. Svenone Well-Known Member

Even the DBG sites don't work with the outdated in-game browser these days. The in-game browser is woefully outdated and it probably would be best if they would just remove it from the game entirely as they apparently don't have the resources to update it properly. I also prefer playing in full-screen mode, and I do most of the time, but when I do need to use a browser it isn't a huge inconvience to switch to windowed mode (although the delay as the system switches can be inconvient if it is done unexpectedly, and I seem to get the same delay when the game decides to play a clip scene.)
    Cyrrena and Dude like this.
  10. FlowerPower New Member

Nothing says security risk louder than a 6 year old web browser.
  11. Reggie777 Member

I am one of those players who would love to be able to use the in-game browser to see eq2.wikia pages. Not being a programmer, I also have no idea what is involved in changing the in-game browser. It could be something as simple as allowing the game to call out to an external browser. Or something requiring major rewrite of codes. But it would be really nice if the devs could take a few days to at least address this issue. Workarounds are ok. But they exist as proof that the item is not being fully supported.
  12. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

It's easy enough... hit CTRL + ENTER. Basically what you see is the game window and the Windows task bar. Keep a browser open and checking it is as simple as clicking a button on the task bar.
  13. duwikki New Member

And when windowed mode isn't an option, just play without any browser? Really should be fixed not some backward workaround. With hundreds of thousands of dollars they get a month in revenue a simple fix should be possible. Don't add a feature if you don't want to keep using it.
  14. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Seriously? Open your task manager some time when you have your main computer browser up and a few tabs open. Notice how much memory and resources it's hogging?

The game's interior browser is deliberately a stripped down, low-function tool. If you want a full-featured browser, window out, check the browser, then flip back and go back to full screen.

When, exactly, would windowed mode NOT be an option? I mean, I play in windowed mode all the time, and losing a quarter inch at the top and bottom of the screen for the window header and the taskbar is not seriously impeding the game's real estate.
    Juraiya and Breanna like this.
  15. duwikki New Member

Windowed option sucks, I don't like it. It does take up a lot of real estate on a laptop. Sorry but for paying customers, we expect what we paid for. Just because I don't play like you do, doesn't mean its wrong.
  16. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I gave you a real answer. A full-featured browser takes up too much memory and system resources. That's why the in-game browser is a stripped down thing. The game already crashes after I've zoned several times, I dread to think what it would be like it the browser was more resource intensive.
    Breanna likes this.
  17. Benj Well-Known Member

I personally play on a MacBook Pro (Windows 10 installed with Bootcamp). The retina screen has a resolution of 2880x1800, with a high dpi. EQ2 does not handle high-dpi screens very well. If I try running in windowed mode, all of the text and buttons are too small to be usable. The only way to fix the dpi-scaling is to pick a lower resolution, such as 1920x1200. Changing the in-game display resolution is only possible when playing in fullscreen mode.

I support developer time to upgrade the in-game browser, especially since the custom UIs include links to the Wiki. I am not asking for a full-featured browser, just one that has a modern JavaScript engine. Right now, I use the browser in my iPad or my iPhone to look up information. Sadly, there's a few sites (EQ-Raiders) that don't work on those browsers either, and I end up dropping fullscreen, finding the information, and the re-entering fullscreen.
  18. Finora Well-Known Member

Do people just not realize that switching from full screen to windowed mode is as simple as hitting alt enter?

For me the in game browser has always been clunky and really not worth using. So if I need a browser open for something, I have that running in the background and either leave the game running in windowed mode or alt enter to full screen after I'm done looking at my browser.

Tab over fast to look up a strat if I'm having issues or grab a loc, then right back in the game.

It's not what some people want, but it's certainly not a major hardship.
    Breanna and Sigrdrifa like this.
  19. Eradani Well-Known Member

some people's computers really stall out hard if they switch from windowed to full screen mode.

but i do agree with your opinion that the ingame browser isn't something worth using so i never play in full screen mode
    Sigrdrifa likes this.
  20. Fostot New Member

+
    I know this is necro'ing a really old post, however, I see you posting so often and helping people Mysstie I wanted to try and help you a little bit. You can run EQ2 in fullscreen without the titlebar or taskbar shown and still have a good experience. There is a piece of software available out there called Actual Multi Monitors available from https://www.actualtools.com/multiplemonitors/ and then once you have it installed go into the Hotkeys section under Actions and there will be a Hotkey called Ignore deactivation. Set it to something you like / know, i have mine set to win+ctrl+shift+d and 1 time (just once) while you are in your fullscreen app hit that hotkey. It will then set a windows feature that is super obscure that no one uses and it's insanely hard to find as it's a registry setting that Ignores fullscreen application deactivation. This will allow you to mouse out of the app regardless of it being fullscreen so you can use all fullscreen apps as if they were running in windowed borderless mode.

It is in my opinion single handled one of the coolest things available in gaming. Display Fusion also supports this feature. I hope this finds you well and you enjoy the feature!
    Sigrdrifa likes this.