Eq2.wikia.com - Injecting malware yet again

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Atan, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Guiscard Active Member

I found Wikia had walkthroughs and strategies for mobs which Zam no longer had.
  2. Ladymist Well-Known Member

By my experience wikia has always been better than zam. Zam misses alot of quests and items. they have a much smaller group of folks working on it so that makes sense. I have never referred someone to Zam because when you refer someone to something, that reflects on you.
  3. Drunk Ninja Monkies Member

I haven't run into that. Most of the articles on Wikia are complete. In fact, even old articles on Zam can give issues. Check out the Qeynos Claymore timeline and you'll see it completely breaks down toward the end. Not to mention the earlier flubs on locations.

Thankfully I use both sites and when I get a chance I try to go back and correct issues I see.
    Calthine likes this.
  4. Detor Active Member

If you're going off a Chrome malware alert be aware that it's on the fritz a bit. Chrome was even reporting that Youtube was a malware site earlier today.
  5. Atan Well-Known Member

Anyone that allows advertisers to inject code without approval by the site first, is in my opinion taking excessive risks. Most reputable companies first review ads before allowing them to be posted. Or, they partner with ad companies that take proper precautions.

In the past, wikia.com has been made aware of their advertisors injecting malware and taken over 72 hours to remove the ads after being notified. Actions like these is why I label them as 'slimeballs'.
  6. Calthine Well-Known Member

If you get bad ads on ZAM be sure to report them here, we take that stuff very seriously. Last Monday a few people were reporting malware alerts when using Chrome, but the Very Smart People took care of it.
    Spindle likes this.
  7. Calthine Well-Known Member

I'm curious which mobs you found we no longer had. Nothing's been deleted, although newer content is wiki-only.
    Spindle likes this.
  8. mague Active Member

I think the ingame browser should block this crap.

Or maybe SOE should offer a wiki per game without ads or only their own ads.
  9. Wingrider01 Well-Known Member

Then almost every site you visit fits under your comments, I doubt that "most reputable companies review ads before allowing them to be posted" when the ad service supplies an average of 1 ad every 60 - 80 seconds to the web site that is using the services

http://www.zdnet.com/netseer-suffers-hack-triggers-google-malware-warnings-7000010776/

http://www.insidebayarea.com/breaki...ing-citing-netseer-blocks-google-chrome-users

Sorry but you want to take precautions that are 100 percent effecting - pull your dvd drive, your network card, disable usb ports and install a rsa access device.
  10. Snowhaze Active Member

I always use Zam first, then Wiki as a backup, I like the look, colors and layout of Zam much better and I'd say at least 95%+ of the time I find what I need on Zam anyway.
  11. Salavar Active Member

Yes!
  12. Gaarysal Active Member

This is what a real "official" resource should be, a site that can take responsibility and fix an issue with its ads if it arises. Why SoE decided to officially endorse a website that has no control over the ads it displays is a horrible move. Wikia is a great resource no doubt but I'd much rather ZAM been kept as the official resource. ZAM was great during DoV1 I loved the broker feeds and the item database, whatever agreement went south would really be in SOE's interest to reevaluate. I'm not saying SOE should completely disown wikia like they did with flames but it should not be linked off their main forum page and touted as the official resource, it should be part of a compiled list available to players consisting of eq2u, zam, eqtraders, eq2mission, etc.
    Calthine likes this.
  13. Caela Well-Known Member

I used to use EQ2i first, then Zam. But for the last couple of years have found Zam more complete for quests. I especially like them for lists of items that NPC's sell, and they are great for live events, along with images (also EQ2Traders for crafted items).

And for house items, EQ2Decorators.com and EQ2Furniture.com

I've also been using EQ2U for items (and they are the engine for my Tool Tips on my blog) - and they have links to other resources (though rarely do I find info on the items in the other links).
    Spindle and Feldon like this.
  14. Calthine Well-Known Member

We would have liked that too, but hey, the world moves on. We're still working our wiki even if the database is no longer updated. (If the new data feed is ever complete I will go to my bosses with a campaign to crank it up again.) Meanwhile, the best thing *everyone* can do is pick one or both sites and contribute to things they are passionate about (we've someone writing a T10 adornment guide on ZAM right now!). That keeps the information fresh and interesting.

Oh, what I really came back for.. someone was discussing whether sites check all their ads. We have an advertising department and I'm told they really check everything. I understand that we do use a service in addition to direct-marketing ads, but that we tolerate no bologna in those ads. Testing a new site I had an ad that auto-played video, and I was impressed how fast I got a response when I reported it.
    Terein likes this.
  15. Atan Well-Known Member

I find businesses that care about their image, do check before letting them come up on their site. Or at the very least use a service that has rigorous controls. I've been involved with web marketing since the early 1990s, and I've seen companies do this well, and companies handle it very poorly.
    Calthine likes this.
  16. Dexella Associate Producer

Hi everyone,

I wanted to address the concerns you've brought up here. We contacted Wikia directly and brought them the feedback from this thread. We take security very seriously, and wanted to give you an update on this specific situation.

In early February (about a week or so ago), an ad provider was tagged as potentially containing malware. This does not mean the ads actually contained malware, however, there were concerns based on the content that caused some Internet security services to put out a red flag. This was one of the larger ad-sharing services on the Internet, and as such, many sites were affected. If you're interested in the details, you can learn more HERE or HERE.

We've talked to our partners at Wikia who also take these concerns very seriously. They are actively investigating these reports, but there is no evidence for any cause for concern. If anyone has any specific concerns or information, you should feel free to contact Wikia directly as well.

~Dexella
  17. Ataliemas New Member

Thought i would comment on this, if not to help inform but also to help keep this bumped at the top.

If not for this posting i wouldn't have known about eq2.wikia, i myself haven't used it but i have to say that,

Once your machine gets malware leaving the internet where it was picked up don't get rid of it. You will need to login to another machine an/or do a offline scan possibly you might be able to scan through a duel booted system but going from Zam from Wikia and getting same warnings only means your infected / or browser jacked.

Until you clean the files on the infected system you are going to have serious if not critical errors.

The OP of thread is right, if links like this are written into the game there is almost no way of protect a system running unless a seperate browser is opened then maybe the AV software might catch it. As slowed down as a machine is running a game background that is almost impossible.

Please if you could for public information post either information about what the malware is or a screenshot of the warning ???

Just stating malware could be anything including a False-Positive.

Thx.