EQ2 while Virtualbox Host is running

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by LordTiras, Oct 16, 2017.

1. LordTiras Well-Known Member

When I work from home I have the time and ability to goof off a little (as I end up working more hours than an in-office day), and I'd like to be able to jump in for a bit here and there as a mental break from working. However, my job requires me to have an Ubuntu system running so that I can interface with one of our products. I run this in Virtualbox on my desktop so I don't have to dual boot or use another computer.

I know that playing EQ2 *in* a virtual environment is not allowed, but my question is when the awesomium process is running or does its scan, does it see the Vbox Host drivers active and flag this? EQ2 isn't in the guest environment, but there are still active Vbox drivers that can be detected/logged. I'm hoping that I can get a DBG person to answer on whether the detection process either knows to ignore there or that they are known to be "OK" if they ever come up as a false positive. If no one at DBG is sure, then I'll just not run them side-by-side and find something else to occupy breaks with. My main goal is to have an absolute answer one way or another, but if that isn't possible, then I'll live! :)

Thanks for any staff answers that may appear!
  2. Grumpy_Warrior It's a KILT, dang it!

I always thought the awesomium process(es) were for the in-game browser client. You can delete them after the game loads and still play as long as you don't try to open the browser. Also doing a /loadui tends to wipe them out of the process list.

No DBG persons were harmed in the typing of this answer.
  3. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

If I were you, I would send in a petition and try to get an answer in writing that way. Or, perhaps, send a PM to Roxxlyy and see if they can point you to the email or phone number of somebody that can give you a definitive answer that will hold if the awesomium process does detect, flag, and result in a ban.

Cyrrena
  4. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

As far as I know, EQ2 does not scan your computer for illicit software as some other games do. However, that doesn't mean that it might not be problematic. I agree with Cyrrena... Customer Service are the only ones who can answer you.

Just note that usually on questions like this, they often won't say, "Yes, that software is okay".
    Prissetta likes this.
  5. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

During your break Sigrdrifa, we had a large ban sweep where it was targeting some software programs, last summer I think. It was talked about on these forums and on Feldon's forums.

Cyrrena
    Prissetta likes this.
  6. LordTiras Well-Known Member

Exactly why I posted. :) I'll probably go the PM route if nothing appears in here by tomorrow morning. I know they're busy with the pre-order release today, so they understandably may not see this thread.
  7. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Well, good for DBG! I personally think they should keep doing it.
  8. The_Real_Wurm Well-Known Member

And a good amount of people got banned for false positives.