EQ2 sunset?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Euredia, Mar 23, 2021.

1. FalconClash Well-Known Member

[quote="Bhayar, post: 6648390, member: 709842"I don't know what your experience is, but no one logs into game at this point except to raid and maybe run a weekly with a few friends/guildies remaining in game."[/quote]

I have never been on a raid, or in any group larger than myself and one other. I solo and play like its supposed to be played, and ive seen plenty of others doing the same.
    Soara2, Siren and Leloes like this.
  2. Leloes Well-Known Member

I have never been on a raid, or in any group larger than myself and one other. I solo and play like its supposed to be played, and ive seen plenty of others doing the same.[/quote]

Same here. Don't raid or anything that requires a group. I see people playing all the time. Not as many as in its heyday but there are still people.
    Soara2, Breanna and Geroblue like this.
  3. Bhayar Well-Known Member

I have never been on a raid, or in any group larger than myself and one other. I solo and play like its supposed to be played, and ive seen plenty of others doing the same.[/quote]

More power to you if all you want to do is solo. Having said that, I'd point out this is a MMOG, which is intended to encourage grouping and raiding. If all you like is soloing, there are plenty of games out there designed for the solo player. The point of the thread was directed towards the paucity of players to actually group with or raid. Our guild recently picked up a number of players who left guilds that were deserted because they're interested in two things: grouping and possibility of raiding. The fact that you are a solo player doesn't change the current environment.
    Soara2 likes this.
  4. Bhayar Well-Known Member

Same here. Don't raid or anything that requires a group. I see people playing all the time. Not as many as in its heyday but there are still people.[/quote]

And I see a lot of them standing around in various cities or zones like EC, or Fordel Myst. And hours later the same toons are still standing in the same place as when I passed them previously. There's a difference between actually playing and doing something vs. AFKing all day, haha. That said, I suspect things may pick up with the latest GU, but we'll see.
    Soara2 likes this.
  5. Leloes Well-Known Member

More power to you if all you want to do is solo. Having said that, I'd point out this is a MMOG, which is intended to encourage grouping and raiding. If all you like is soloing, there are plenty of games out there designed for the solo player. The point of the thread was directed towards the paucity of players to actually group with or raid. Our guild recently picked up a number of players who left guilds that were deserted because they're interested in two things: grouping and possibility of raiding. The fact that you are a solo player doesn't change the current environment.[/quote]

I will look past what you said because I realize you aren't aware of my situation. The fact is MMOs can be soloed quite easily. BTW I am physically disabled so raiding, grouping, etc would be quite impossible for me to do. That being said I do enjoy MMOs for the way they are setup. I am aware there are single player games. I play them after all but that does not mean I should exclude MMOs. Anyone can raid or group to their hearts content as far as I'm concerned.
    Soara2, Breanna, Obnoxa and 1 other person like this.
  6. FalconClash Well-Known Member

I keep seeing posts "No one plays more than 10 minuets a week". My Internet access is limited to 3 days a week most of the time, and most of that time I live In EQ2 about 5-6 hours per day. If I had home access id probably never log off.
  7. Bhayar Well-Known Member

I will look past what you said because I realize you aren't aware of my situation. The fact is MMOs can be soloed quite easily. BTW I am physically disabled so raiding, grouping, etc would be quite impossible for me to do. That being said I do enjoy MMOs for the way they are setup. I am aware there are single player games. I play them after all but that does not mean I should exclude MMOs. Anyone can raid or group to their hearts content as far as I'm concerned.[/quote]

Wasn't aware you were disabled, nor was my post intended to be taken in a negative context. That said, I've raided with people who had what I'd consider to be significant disabilities. Brain tumors, physical limitations, etc. I wasn't suggesting you shouldn't play an MMOG. My point was this thread is pointed towards a fair question where declining populations of players is affecting the game. When an MMOG whose focus is on grouping/raiding (we can agree to disagree on what you think the focus is) loses significant portions of it's primary focus customers, it's a fair question to ask. Yes, you can solo in this game. The question is, for how long will the average player do so when the solo content is meant to be a means to an end, not the end in and of itself? Realistically, the average human being would get bored once they're through the sig line, has done the weeklies and solos every week for three-four months now. Relentless repetition becomes monotony after a while whether you're disabled or not. The only condition that might be the exception would be senility, where every day is a new day. I'm not poking fun here at senility. I've seen what Alzheimer's does first hand and it's a terrible thing. Whether you're disabled or not, given current game content, it's not difficult to see that impact on the player population.
    Soara2 likes this.
  8. Leloes Well-Known Member

Wasn't aware you were disabled, nor was my post intended to be taken in a negative context. That said, I've raided with people who had what I'd consider to be significant disabilities. Brain tumors, physical limitations, etc. I wasn't suggesting you shouldn't play an MMOG. My point was this thread is pointed towards a fair question where declining populations of players is affecting the game. When an MMOG whose focus is on grouping/raiding (we can agree to disagree on what you think the focus is) loses significant portions of it's primary focus customers, it's a fair question to ask. Yes, you can solo in this game. The question is, for how long will the average player do so when the solo content is meant to be a means to an end, not the end in and of itself? Realistically, the average human being would get bored once they're through the sig line, has done the weeklies and solos every week for three-four months now. Relentless repetition becomes monotony after a while whether you're disabled or not. The only condition that might be the exception would be senility, where every day is a new day. I'm not poking fun here at senility. I've seen what Alzheimer's does first hand and it's a terrible thing. Whether you're disabled or not, given current game content, it's not difficult to see that impact on the player population.[/quote]

Which is one of the reasons I play other games. I quite understand how some folks feel. There are things about EQ2 that I don't like but I put up with it. When I get bored I back off of EQ2 for a while....play something else...Neverwinter, GW2...then I come back. That being said. My not engaging in groups is basically due to the fact that most gamers don't have the ability to put up with the fact that my disability makes me a bit slow, at times, so not grouping/raiding is my only option. :)
    Soara2 and Bhayar like this.
  9. Bhayar Well-Known Member

I'm no spring chicken either, so at some point, EQ2 will be "sunsetted" one way or the other, haha.
  10. Leloes Well-Known Member

We all have to go sometime......:confused:
    Soara2, Siren and Bhayar like this.
  11. FalconClash Well-Known Member

I solo mainly because Im a bit of a timid player, but I like taking my time and going at my own pace, rather than being rushed and herded around by some pushy team leader. Im a tortoise, not a hare.

This game is my life and, with maybe one or two exceptions, my only reason for getting online at all.
    Soara2, Geroblue and Leloes like this.
  12. Geroblue Well-Known Member

MMO doesn't translate to 'must group or raid'. It really doesn't.
    Soara2, AOE1, SynnikuL and 4 others like this.
  13. Tkia Well-Known Member

^ This. RL is an MMO too, but thankfully it doesn't require me to be joined at the hip to 5 other people to be able to go do the shopping or take a walk in the park.
    Soara2, AOE1, SynnikuL and 2 others like this.
  14. Leloes Well-Known Member

Fortunately it doesn't require that my wheelchair be hooked to others when I do something, either!:D
    Soara2, Breanna and Geroblue like this.
  15. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

Its not sunsetting, but it for sure hasn't aged as well as I was hoping it would.. its more of a we built a train but we don't have any tracks to run it on type thing.
    Way to many wrong turns have been made with way to much self pride for the devs to admit it... Its not closing but the words train wreck come to mind.
    Geroblue, Soara2 and Breanna like this.
  16. Amalar The combined salt from all of SOE/DBGs fallen MMOs

I have to ask, did anyone else find the combat in this game like dreadfully boring? I honestly would be falling asleep during groups while just going through my rotation...

One of the reasons I will not play again thinking of how boring group content was... So many hours and hours of preparation and gearing for such a slog fest... Not worth it to me right now...

The THICC layers of MTX, absurd stat inflation, long zone times, INABILITY to camp immediately or directly to another character (VERY alt unfriendly), already do a good job of keeping me away...

That AA revamp was weak, almost as weak as the latest producers letter.
  17. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

Um, you can camp directly to another character.
    Soara2, Breanna and WhysperWynde like this.
  18. Treggar Active Member

That function hasn't worked for me in years, client works faster than the server I guess because it always pops up a window saying "Account in use."
    Soara2 and SynnikuL like this.
  19. WhysperWynde Well-Known Member

By Comarison:
    W.O.W. ~ World of Warcraft = 114,297,476 Total Players & 4,343,304 Daily Players
    C.O.D. ~ Call of Duty = 85,000,000 Players
    Warhammer 2 = 40,000
    D.O.A.C. ~ Dark Age of Camelot = 5,000 Players
    Soara2 likes this.
  20. WhysperWynde Well-Known Member

EQ2 (I hope) does not carry as many political undesirables that were deemed dangerous to a certain contingent in power in those long ago forgotten days.

You also could go back days uncounted on this very forum, months and years in fact, and find the NORRATH SKY IS FALLING POSTS abounding in every season, every holiday, every time you pick .. but did it? NO. Will it? Yes someday but let's not hasten EQ2's demise with pessimism, huh? Me I'm too busy playing 21 Characters to notice anybody or anything but them and their prey.
    Soara2 likes this.