EQ2 starting behavior

Discussion in 'Test Server Forum' started by Beee, May 3, 2017.

1. Beee Well-Known Member

I do not know if anybody else noticed:

On a fast equipment (FTTH, I7-7700K + m.2) EQ2 needs a long time to start without doing anything.

Even a fresh installed testserver with default configuration takes almost 4 minutes to pass the 113,9 MB / 0% CPU / 0% Disk / 0% Lan phase. It takes this time to get to Kunak spash screen and the to charselection or Login.. there is not a big difference

logfiles stay empty

30 sec after pressing PLAY launchpd closes
    3:30 Splash screen is shown, first network activities
    4:00 Select Character screen

This behavior is anoying even on live. it takes a long time to get online again after a Crash. and getting a coffee every time EQ2 starts is not very healthy :)
    Ceyllynn likes this.
  2. Hexalobular Well-Known Member

Sorry, I didn't notice this was in Testing, I just lazily clicked on What's New, so it probably isn't relevant.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm probably not running it the same way you are, I don't recognize the MB/CPU/Disk/Lan bit and I've never understood exactly what the launchpad was so this might not be relevant but I can have a toon in game 90 seconds after clicking on the EQ2 icon.
    I'm not sure what my specs are, it was a reasonably high end machine 6 months before Win-10 was released and I have a reasonably big SSD

Ok, found the system specs:

64 bit Win-10 Home
    3.40 GHz Intel Core i7-4770
    16 GB RAM
  3. Billzbub Active Member

I've been having a similar issue. When I click on the EQII icon, it takes 30 seconds to 45 seconds to bring up the launcher, and the computer isn't doing anything that I can tell during that time. Once I click on play, it takes another 30 seconds of doing nothing to show the first splash screen.
  4. Beee Well-Known Member

Whyever it takes 4 minutes to play after pressing PLAY in the launchpad without any logentry.
    Starting the Launcher takes only 10 seconds :)

I guess there is a TCP timeout somehow.. but resmon does not show any connections from everquest2 during the waiting time

btw Launchpad tries to connect to lvs-gt-els03.station.sony.com + lvs-gt-els02.station.sony.com which produces an nslookup DNS Timeout
  5. Tupperbeast Active Member

Beee this is an EQ2 problem or Daybreak. I have the same problem clean imposed system eq2 on a ssd, launcher does not start immediately but takes some sec or a minute. To Sony times I had these problems not be the daybreak take over here is definitely not what with their System.

I always say it before they make new updates, or even new addons, they should finally repair the old ones. There are still errors that have been addressed for a long time, but still need not be fixed so far. So slowly you get the feeling that they really only suck the money but no performance again.

Best example despite server down drive are still this login 1 ... 2 ... 3 errors since the Char Change.

A good service and support is something else, but think what we want to expect great after 13 years.
  6. Beee Well-Known Member

any ideas from devs? it's booring for the whole raid to have a 4 minutes brake because getting an EQ2 Crash and having this behavior
  7. Beee Well-Known Member

Downloaded the 18,6 GB EQ2 on a fresh usb 2.0 stick.. same behavor with the new installation... no idea why
  8. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Is this only happening on Test, or on the Live servers as well? If it's also on the Live servers, this sounds like a job for the Player Support page...although our devs here respond faster, frequently, there are also a lot of knowledgeable players over on Player Support who might be able to say, "I had that problem too, until I did this [whatever] and I don't have to worry about it any more. Good luck." ;->

Uwk
    who never really noticed or bothered about it; back in the day, I was told that it was just the various systems checks and whatevers going on in the background that needed to be done before the game started, like a checklist /shrug
    Kalika likes this.
  9. Beee Well-Known Member

On Live Servers too.

Resmon does not show any activity for a long time (more than 3 minutes)
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Well, it's an old game, so probably it still needs to go through the checklist. ;->

Uwk
  11. Kalika Well-Known Member

Same problem for me with a recent i5, a classical hard disk , 8 gigas of ram.

It was not like that 2 years ago, it was slow but reasonnably slow.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  12. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I'm wondering, too, if it's our perceptions as much as anything else. I mean, when I'm not down to the wire on something, like a deadline or the Frostfell Village daily gifties from Santa Glug (when you have over 6.5 dozen toons, you have to time something down to the second, literally, to get everyone in :-/), then I really don't notice how long it takes to either come all the way in (like going from US-region servers to Test to EU-region), or how long it takes to /camp [toon]...but when I am in a tight time mode, I'll rage to the skies if something's off by a second and not connecting quickly enough. :-/

Plus, just in regular computing, I forget how much faster, relatively, my system is now compared to even the last OS I had, which was WinXP. XP did just dandy for any other computing needs, but when the Art Dept. cranked up the requirements again for this game, it was getting ridiculous (heck, back when I was on Win98 on dial-up, it would literally take 2.5-3 MINUTES to zone anywhere. I'd timed it on several occasions). When I first got Win7 here, I rejoiced at how fast everything suddenly was, and now I growl and fume around at how "slow" everything takes (though that might be something to do with my computer; I'll probably have to take it into the shop again at some point). :-/

But, I'm nattering. If it's taking longer and longer to get started, timed results-wise, and you've got the latest/greatest/etc. rigs for computers, then yeah, that might be a job for the devs to look at. Again, while we usually get a more timely response for Test server issues than other places, the folks on Player Support should be informed of this, too. :-/

Good luck! :)

Uwk
    Kalika likes this.
  13. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Update-ish: Just timed my going from hitting the big green PLAY button on the Launch screen to getting to the Character Select screen for Public Test: 2m 35s. Not bad for a Win7! :)

Uwk
  14. Beee Well-Known Member

Just for info if anybody is intrested in the solution:

I had a TP-Link TL-ER6020 as main router, which caused the problem.
    Replacing it reduced the EQ2 starttime (every server) from over 4 min to 45 seconds :)
  15. Cheallaigh Well-Known Member

I'm not FTTH, I'm FTTN, but I am in the upper end for it, win 7, 8gb, 8 core 4ghz etc 1tb/750gb (not ssd sadly, upgrading soon I hope) raedon R9 200 and I have the long loading. my modem/router is less than 6 months old, in dec when I was still playing regularly it would take 2 mins tops, now it's roughly 4 -5 mins. none of my settings changed except the modem, which was an upgrade as the old one was at least 5 years old.
  16. Yado Active Member

I can cold load the game ( double click the icon on the desktop ) and me moving\playing my toon in 1 min 15 sec. I can camp to desktop in 23 sec.
    My system specs
    i7-6800k
    16GB ram
    Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO M.2 250GB
    Windows 10 Pro
    Internet 80MB+ Downloads and connected to my router 802.11AC

Now for EQII the processor is not that big of an issue because like most games don't take advantage of multiple cores how ever my Primary HD does give me an advantage with the way it's connected to my system I get 3200Mb/sec read speed. This super fast read speed and a stable fast connection to the internet allows me to load into the game super fast.
  17. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Hmm! I've never had any problems /camping in much more than 20-25 seconds, it's usually the getting in the door, so to speak, that's been an issue, but once in, I'm pretty happy, even with zoning (barely enough time taken for me to get bored enough to return to my Solitaire game ;->). Back in the day when I was first starting out (Win98, if memory serves), it would literally take 2.5-3.0 MINUTES to actually zone anywhere (and don't even ask about the limitations of the main party tank's graphics... "Can't you see the gnoll group?!" "There's something here?" "Yeah! About 20' away, equival--oh, crap..."). It's why I continued to play WoW for so long (hardly any "real" zoning, except where logical). :-/

Uwk
  18. Twinbladed Well-Known Member

I am not sure why everyone is having this issue, I bought a threadripper (which is not best for single cores) and also use a 960 evo m.2, and I can load two accounts in 40 something seconds. I thought it was a intel issue but my old i7 7700k loads is faster than threadripper.
  19. Ronjah Active Member

I was observing that this problem occurs on Win7 and not on Win10. can someone confirm ?
  20. Beee Well-Known Member

My problem occured with Win10 1703 and vanished after replacing the TL-ER6020