EQ2 Producer's Letter - December 2005

Discussion in 'Developer Roundtable' started by ARCHIVED-Gallenite, Dec 16, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-Rommie Guest

Sadly, I just don't see it happening. Even Sony with its growing stable of digital-artisans and hired talent wouldn't be enough to take on such a work. Do you recall one of the promos stating to the effect, "We've put together the Best talent in the business to bring you the continued world of Norrath..." blah blah? Sure, for a Persistant 3D game...EverQuest 2 has one of the BEST looks, the BEST sounds and music, and the most polished world-environment ever done on a massive game-playing scale.
    The gang in San-Diego and elsewhere did themselves proud. They've pulled off quality effects that other game designers are still struggling to create for their own titles even today. They showed the gaming-world what /can/ be accomplished and displayed... even within the horrid constraints of a personal computer. But even with all that... they couldn't begin to fathom all it would take to pull off a feature-film of that magnitude. And not to mention the time and energy involved! You are asking of them... to do no less than create three hours of convincing, believable reality within the boundries of 35mm celluloid. Three hours of non-repetitious action and original scores. I don't think all the Wobble-cogs and the Cobble-widgets and MoCapping in the world could orchestrate such a technical feat without appearing 'artificial' in the final master-renderings.
    And traditional 'Hollywood' would scoff at the risks as well. You and I might appreciate so grand an effort because we choose to invest our time in this game, but realize that the average 'movie goer' isn't impressed for very long. And most care not about the 'Lore' of EQ or EQ2... etc. So where would that needed audience revenue come from... the meager number of MMO game players? Any company bean-counter (and CEO) would jump off the roof if they had to rely on that! :)
    Message Edited by Rommie on 02-20-200610:47 AM
  2. ARCHIVED-Darkmortis Guest

What EQ2 should do is create some 7min video clip leading up to EQ2s release. I had a member (Saroc_Luclin) point out that what I remember from Lore was about EQ2 not EQ1

http://eq2players.station.sony.com/en/lore.vm?section=chapter_01

The chapter I loved the most "Chapter 3: Attack on the Nexus" That chapter alone I'd pay to see it made hehe
  3. ARCHIVED-emras Guest

And now we see this is a lie, crusader had to be nerfed on PvE to balance PvP.
  4. ARCHIVED-CuCulaine Guest

Well I dont know about MMorg Peeps, but I do know that Dungeon/Dragons...Fantasy/Science books are a multi-milion dollar industry, as such I think alot of those peeps would pay 5-10.00 to watch such a movie, not to mention teens & preteens. In short I think your wrong, I think it would be a money maker, but it would take someone with devotion, cash and courage to do it.