EQ2 on mac

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Feyero, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Feyero New Member

Hey everyone,

Longtime EQ2 player here. I'm gonna be traveling all summer and I'll only have my Macbook Pro with me (Early 2015 model with 2.7ghz i5, 8gb ram, Iris 6100 graphics OSX 10.10 Yosemite). I've been trying to get EQ2 to work on here but I'm having trouble.

I've tried both wineskin and crossover and I'm able to get the patcher to run but when I launch the game the graphics are all messed up. They graphics appear like a tile of four copies on the screen and they are a bit garbled as well so nothing is clear and I can't even read what its saying.

Anyone have any suggestions on this?
  2. Mermut Well-Known Member

I run parallels on my mac and play EQ2 without issue.
    It does require having a copy of windows and booting to the windows side though.
    Shmogre likes this.
  3. Shmogre Well-Known Member

Echoing what Mermut said, I use Boot Camp and boot into the Windows partition to run EQ2 and my other games. Afraid I don't have experience with Wineskin or Crossover to give you more help there, sorry. :^(
    Crastinal and Prissetta like this.
  4. Crastinal Active Member

That was my setup about a year and a half ago, I solved it by using Bootcamp -- worked like a charm. Though I couldn't run some beta version for the life of me (don't remember if it was TLE or ToT) and got turned down by the support: even though I was playing on a legitime Windows machine they would not give me support because it's on a Mac something something. No idea what the heck was that supposed to be about: for all effects I was running on a Windows machine, but no support for me.
    Since Windows 10 I ditched Bootcamp on my MBP and it's back my work machine, so I can't help on that front. In my experience Bootcamp runs very smoothly, but if you need to go back to OSX environment you have to reboot... so there's this. Parallels or Crossover will demand way too much of the machine, it is basically running 2 OS at the same time -- because your setup is very similar to mine I think you also would get in trouble with it. I never had patience to make Wine work, though.
    Prissetta and Shmogre like this.
  5. Crastinal Active Member

(lol BIOS are you stuck in 1998? roll eyes)

How that helps the OP in any way shape or form? My point to OP is: don't expect an answer from EQ2 support. What is the point of your reply?
    Oh yeah, you just wanted to brag you can't afford a computer that can run every single commercial OS available today out of the box, because that makes you so badass. Mission accomplished! Here, have a cookie.
  6. Feyero New Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I was really hoping to avoid buying a full copy of Windows since its $120 :(
  7. Feyero New Member

How much hard drive space did you partition to install windows and EQ2 through bootcamp?
  8. Shmogre Well-Known Member

I have a 500GB drive, so I split it 300 to Windows and 200 to MacOS (since more of my games tend to be Windows based).
    Prissetta likes this.
  9. Simmonz New Member

You should be able to buy an OEM copy of windows.
    https://www.kinguin.net/category/22175/windows-10-home-oem-key/
    this link is from PC world that states the OEM price is 32$ (At work so I can't verify).