EQ2 on Linux and Mac guide

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Sturmlocke, Mar 28, 2022.

1. Kvalme New Member

So as about system specs:
    Threadripper 3960X. RTX3090(driver 510.73.05) and 128Gb ram.
    I use Ubuntu 22.04 (Was reproducible in 21.10) (both 5.18.2 and vanilla kernels tested)
    I use preinstalled version of EQ2 and it's added to Steam via 3rdparty application (There are no EQ2 in my region available).
    So I use same version for wine vanilla/staging and proton with just different wine prefixes.

I use full download version, no streaming.

I use 4k resolution (some times 2560x1440), windowed.
    Graphics prefs - extreme quality. Changing to lower settings - gives more time, but will freeze anyway.
    I can play several hours on Varsoon (TLE) in old zones, but 5-15 minutes is all i can in RoS/VoV zones.

GE-Proton7-20: a lot of freezes
    Proton 7.0-2: freezed on zoning from GH to Svarni Expanse so looks like same behavior. Restart. Zoning from SE to Kamapor Jungle - fine, zone to GH - fine. Run around GH - game freezed.

As for 64bit client - I actually tryed beta server and got same result(( So it's not a crash. It's freeze. So game window is present, no errors, only in wine log you see info about deadlock.

That's what I mean by deadlock:

03c4:err:sync:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 01892FD0 "?" wait timed out in thread 03c4, blocked by 02e4, retrying (60 sec)
    03cc:err:sync:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 01892FD0 "?" wait timed out in thread 03cc, blocked by 02e4, retrying (60 sec)
    03c0:err:sync:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 01892FD0 "?" wait timed out in thread 03c0, blocked by 02e4, retrying (60 sec)
    0414:err:sync:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 01892FD0 "?" wait timed out in thread 0414, blocked by 02e4, retrying (60 sec)
    0348:err:sync:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 01892FD0 "?" wait timed out in thread 0348, blocked by 02e4, retrying (60 sec)
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  2. Hartsmith Well-Known Member

Strictly talking hard drive.

My apologies for confusion. I'm not using Linux. Just meant my experience with them on Windows, so am not sure if you could help with that. Also did not mean to imply I would be using Steam to play EQ2. Thankfully I am able to play normally, and have 64 bit quad-core pc to handle the upcoming change. Appreciate the offer of help, though.

The problem is that Steam added programs in the background in addition to the game. Things like Origin, Open AL, and ROG Live Service. No idea what those are or why I need them to play the games, but uninstalling them makes my games unplayable. They take up way too much disk space so I am unable to add all the games that I own onto my pc. :(
  3. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Hi there, thanks for the additional info. Ok, this is going to be interesting, seeing how you are mixing usage of vanilla Wine, Wine-Staging, DXVK, Valve's Steam + Proton and even manually updating the default Ubuntu Kernel (the latter not recommended on a stable / production system, if you're actually changing the official Ubuntu kernel for a "basic" mainline kernel that excludes some of Canonical's specific Ubuntu 22.04 kernel patches).

I'm still in the process of testing the regions that you mentioned, can only test in short and controlled bursts rn, will report back asap.

Q: When you say "it's added to Steam via 3rdparty application", do you mean you added the EQ2 install and client .exe as a non-steam game and then ran it through Steam and Proton? If so, lemme know the details pls.

Q: You mention Wine prefixes. How do you manages these? Manually by hand or by using something else like Lutris, Bottles, Crossover or Q4Wine etc.? Are these 32b or 64b prefixes? How was EQ2 initially installed the first time that you ran it?

Q: Did you try the 64b Beta with Valve's Steam + Proton 7 or merely with Wine / Wine Staging + DXVK?

Q: Have you been running ProtonGE with Valve's Steam or with something else, see previous Q further above? Please note, running ProtonGE outside of Steam is not recommended even by the original author / dev of said Proton version, see here for more info on the subject.

Anyway, I know that type of "warning" very well, because I have seen it in other - bleeding edge testing - circumstances, mainly when using the bleeding edge dev version of vanilla Wine / Staging + DXVK and normal ProtonGE. ProtonGE shouldn't be used by default, if the app or game that you are wanting to play works fine with Valve's original Proton. ProtonGE = a community developed / forked version of Valve's Proton = pulls in a bunch of additional stuff and fixes, which might actually make things worse for some "unsupported" games, but also improve other issues that have been tested by GE for a specific title. ProtonGE usually also includes the latest and greatest coming from Wine Staging and more, which might explain why you are seeing more frequent freezes and stuttering when using both ProtonGE and vanilla Wine / Wine Staging.

Now, take this with a huge grain of salt, I am not a Wine dev, and I have been out of this kind of deep dive for some time now, but in my experience, the issue you are describing is usually a regression / bug of some sort when using the newest vanilla dev branch of Wine, Wine Staging and DXVK builds. It can also just mean that your prefix / eq installation is missing something that EQ requires to run more stable. In some rare cases, it could also be an unimplemented function within Wine. Edit, researched a bit and found a link that further validates what I just wrote, which is more or less the same issue that you described (freezing, stuttering) and the same Wine warning logs that you're seeing: https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=34843

I recommend sticking to the stable vanilla Wine and DXVK builds for now, ignoring bleeding edge Staging at this point, as it really isn't mandatory for EQ2 imho. That being said, it would be much better if you just stick to Valve's Steam + Proton / Steamplay for testing, using a clean install of both ofc, without sharing prefixes with other vanilla Wine apps, even when taking into consideration that EQ2 has been added as a non-steam game, because that way we can rule out other issues. Reading how Proton 7 seems to run better than ProtonGE, according to your feedback seen above, this might further indicate that the original Proton is the best approach for now. Please note, when reverting back from ProtonGE to Valve's original Proton, make sure to clear your old prefixes of EQ2 in order to rule out even more compat issues when switching back and forth between the two. See here for more information.

Once you are back on a clean install of the original Ubuntu kernel, drivers, the original / Valve's Steam and Proton combination, please retry EQ2 with Proton 7, 6 and if all else fails, with both Proton 3 versions. In addition, please also try Proton Experimental and Proton Experimental bleeding-edge, see last part here for more info on how to activate the latter. Remember to add the following line to your launch options. Why Proton 3, you might ask? Proton 3 should have DXVK disabled by default, which can further rule out Vulkan and driver related issues, seeing how you have been manually upgrading kernels and drivers by hand. You might also want to test Proton without Fsync and Esync enabled, see here and here for more info on how to disable it for testing.

Lemme know how it goes, curious to see what happens. All in all, it's interesting that your sys is crashing in the new VoV zones even though you have tested the 64b client. I hope you're using the most recent 64b client, because there was a nasty memory leak and missing DirectX stuff, among other things, which was fixed by one of the EQ2 devs some time ago. According to what I have been seeing myself, and reading from others here on the forum, 64b improves feezing, crashing and stability issues with the latest 64b client. This also might be an indication that something is wrong on your end, not 100% sure though, can say more once I have tested the zones that you mentioned earlier for a bit longer. *thumbsup*
  4. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Hail Hart, ah, that does shine a bit more light onto the subject. Yw, will gladly help, when possible ofc.

Anyway, yeah, Steam does install a some additional stuff into a games prefix / folder, because by doing that it is trying to make sure that compatibility and reliability standards are being met. For example, when installing a game, Steam might install stuff like a required or specific version of DirectX or OpenAL into a titles folder, just to make sure that the game launches and runs successfully afterwards, just in case someone is missing this on their vanilla Windows install. That's actually a very handy feature that I really enjoy using for ease of use, wouldn't want to miss it :) That being said, a lot of titles nowadays include their fair share of extra bloat alias their own launcher, such as Origin or the Epic Games Launcher, much to the dislike of some users not wanting, needing or willing to use these additional apps. Old games, or drm-free (gog) versions of some older titles, don't have any additional launchers for various reasons, that's true. For example, Battlefield 4 on Steam does require and ship with Origin by default. I don't like this trend either tbh, because on game consoles you might need an Origin, Epic or Ubisoft account, but you don't have to actually manually and separately install, update and manage extra launchers whatsoever. I feel like having Steam should be enough - everything else should be fully automated (not needing to create extra logins for other launchers and services, for example) or not necessary on Steam PC. Imo, that's an issue with certain publishers though, as they force Steam / Valve into using said services and launchers with the games that they provide.

But back to the hdd usage issue, even when taking all of the extra stuff into consideration, it shouldn't be Gigs of extra software / files to make a game run, not under normal circumstances anyway. Usually it's just a few Megs more. Lemme know what games we're talking about here and I'll test to see how much space the game itself versus the game with all bells and whistles installed swallows on my rig. I really like comparing numbers like this as it might help make Steam better with future releases. Feedback is good and solid :)
  5. Kvalme New Member

I was forced to use vanilla kernel due to buggy default kernel (my ethernet just don't work with ubuntu 22.04 default kernel)

Basically - I just add EQ2.exe from windows installation. I tryed today to made a clean install using steam as 3rdparty application with same freezes.

So I need to describe what I use.
    1) default wine ubuntu package (Ubuntu 6.0.3~repack-1)
    2)official package from winehq (wine-7.10 (Staging) and wine-development)
    3)Different proton version via steam (application added using Game->Add Non-Steam game to my library)

For manual wines I use manual prefix handling using WINEPREFIX=<path> /path/to/wine EQ2.exe --disable-gpu for launch

I tryed it with Proton 7 and Proton7-GE

Also I tryed with Proton6, Proton Experimental, ProtonGE6 (on ubuntu 21.10) and many different versions, including version from ProtonDB EQ2 page

Previously I played for years using clean wine (about 5 years ago). And now I can run those old zones almost fine.

I start thinking that it maybe something related to AMD CPU (previously I had Intel one).

Today I tried clean installation of EQ2, with no configs from old, with clean wine prefix inside steam - No luck.
    The bug you are refering to - seems to be fixed in current wine version, so shouldn't be the case.

Also I have tryed different dxvk version on clean wine with no luck. Tryed no-dxvk version with no luck.
    Previously I was able to run EQ2 inside KVM with GPU passthrough, but now I don't have GPU for this(

I will check for FSync/Esync and have no other ideas. Seems that all you propose I've already tryed.

Also will wait for 64bit to come to Live. But don't think it will fix issue(
  6. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Hail Kv,

still in the process of testing on two different machines, so far no issues, testing continues albeit very slow (weekend is kids time). Thanks for posting more info! Wow, seems like you have really been putting a lot of effort into this so far, going the extra mile. Not bad! Hm, after reading through your details:
    • Is this issue only happening in EQ2 or have you seen this in other games?
    • It was running fine before switching to the AMD cpu? What Intel cpu were you running before switching to AMD? You could be right though, wouldn't surprise me if this turns out to be the issue
    • Have you tried the stable version of Wine, which is Wine 7.0 rn?
    • Have you tried both Proton 3 versions? If I understand correctly, you have tried 6 and 7 so far, correct?
    • Have you tried enabling or disabling Gamemode for EQ2 on Ubuntu?
    • When you tried Proton Experimental, did you enable the bleeding edge Beta repo for Experimental via Steam?
    • About that cpu of yours, that's a 24 core and 48 thread cpu, correct? Holy crap, what a monster! That's some serious power you got there. Hm, I remember seeing someone else with a monster cpu like that around here also having issues with EQ2, see here
    • You mentioned Qemu / KVM and gpu passthrough; are you playing via a different VM now or are you using any other type of "emulation" software or passthrough?
    • Do you use VPN or do you have a Firewall enabled?
    • What does your Inet connection look like? Playing wired or wireless?
    • What else is running in the background when playing EQ2 via Steam and Proton? What kind of modifications have you additionally performed on Ubuntu, other than what has already been mentioned?
    • Have you tried your luck with Fedora, PopOS 22.04 or even openSUSE TW?
    That's pretty much it. Can't think of anything else spontaneously or out of the blue. It's true though, the regression that I mentioned above was fixed somewhere down the line, but it could always be another regression or something completely new and unrelated, happens all of the time with testing and dev braches of both Wine and Staging. If everything else fails, try posting on WineHQ and Proton(GE) official channels, see here:
    Lemme know how it goes!
  7. Kvalme New Member

Hail!

It's only for EQ2 so far, but there are not a lot of games I play using Proton/wine. But some other online games plays great.
    It was SandyBridge-E I7 3960X. It worked perfectly. It has 6 cores.
    Yes for all, except Proton 3. Will give it a try, but since it has visual glitches (black dots) and I believe it's not compatible with DXVK - it's not a good option)
    Also I didn't tryed bleeding edge beta for experimental, but since it's based on same proton and latest wine - shouldn't be any difference between wine-vanilla/staging/proton-GE since they all have same result
    Yep, 24 core 48 threads. Great CPU :)
    The issue in the thread is with Big-Little archiotecture of latest Intel CPUs. It's not the case for Threadripper.
    No, currently I'm trying to play in clean Ubuntu installation.
    For sure I have firewall on my router and I'm sitting after providers NAT.
    I use 1Gbit connection with 400Mbit uplink.
    Nothing inside any of wine containers. Actually once it freezes I kill it with comman like this:
    Code:
    for a in `ps -eo pid,command | grep \\\.exe | cut -f3 -d' '`; do kill -9 $a; done;

So nothing can be alive between runs :)
    Hm. No, I don't think changing OS because of a game is a good way :) It's then easyer to just use Windows in dual-boot.
    Avtually I tryed Arch, but I don't like it and it's even more buggy for me that Ubuntu :(
    X
    Anyway - thank you for your attempts to help. Will try more and keep updated:)

UPDATE:
    Tried Proton 3.16-9 with no luck
    Even tried to use taskset to limit CPU count for all Everquest2.exe processes - no luck
    A
  8. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Yeah, until I personally understand a LOT more than I do re: all this jazz, I definitely think a dual-boot will be the way to go for me, At least until I can feel comfortable completely weaning myself off Windows.

Uwk
  9. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Hail Uwk, sure thing, always follow your gut instinct. Ha, in retrospec, maybe it would have been better to help Kv via pm in order to not confuse anyone here, but then again, I believe in transparency when it comes to pc gaming. It's good to show that things can go wrong or that they can ultimately be a bit more complicated than originally estimated, depending on so, so many factors ofc. Taking that into account, I must say though, what you see above, the dialogue between Kv and I, is highly technical and "advanced" talk. Messing with Wine prefixes like that, swapping out kernels (the very underlying foundation of the entire OS), using Qemo / KVM passthrough, messing with development branches of DXVK, Wine-Staging and more isn't something a "normal" user would want to do under "normal" circumstances. In the case of EQ2, following our guide should be enough to get you up and running, which was showcased beautifully by At.

All in all, a dual-boot isn't a bad idea either, and I'm here for you, if you need a bit of guidance. Getting used to a completely new environment might take time, that's for sure, so patience is key here. Trial and error and learning by doing will take place one way or the other. Whatever the case, you are not alone. In fact, you could do what At did, instead of dual-booting, use one drive per OS; one for Windows and one for Linux that you can just swap out if necessary. That way each system will have a single drive exclusively and you won't be able to mess with other partitions.

I updated our guide and added a little bit more info, some of which is still wip ofc, adding more contact channels for other stuff related to Proton and Linux gaming, just in case anyone needs it. I also might be adding more pics to the entire setup routine, bc a picture says more than a thousand words. Btw, seeing how we managed to update At's Optiplex and bring it back up to speed, feel free to send me a short pm with more details on your computer, if you wanna upgrade it instead, and I'll help you pick out compatible hardware parts that you might be able to use for an upgrade. I also updated our guide again and posted a few low profile and energy saving gpus for old computers that can't handle higher spec graphic cards due to space, mainboard or power constraints.

Hail Kv, sure, yw :) I wish I could do more, really tickles the nerdy part in me -> trying to find out what's happening on your end, but sadly, I can barely find the time to play rn, so it really might be best to get in touch with some of the devs of said projects. The links I posted further above will take you where you have to go in order to further diagnose the issue, but I recommend asking around on WineHQ forum first. A lot of knowledgeable ppl around there. Who knows, maybe you're on to something with that Threadripper of yours, and your feedback might indeed help diagnose and fix whatever is causing problems for yourself and potentially for other ppl too. One of the nice things about the Linux and the foss community is that you often have direct contact with the ppl "in charge" (= the devs developing, maintaining and fixing stuff for us), allowing us to speak with the powers that be, the engineers of whatever we might be actively using.

That being said, just to clarify, I don't want to push you away from Ubuntu, love and use it myself heh, but sometimes it does help to try out other Linux distros that might be doing something a bit different for higher spec hardware. If it does, you might get an insight at where to look for issues on Ubuntu. Arch is way, way too advanced for normal users btw - not recommended at all if you're a Linux newbie. In your case, PopOS, Fedora or openSUSE TW might be "better" / easier for testing and analytical purposes (the latter being a more user friendly and very stable rolling release distro).

Cheers
  10. Kvalme New Member

:)) Actually sometime ago (about 10-15 years) I use LFS project as desktop distro :)
    Just as usual - we grow and we have less time to fight with OS and want it to just work.

I think best is to try it with my OS configuration on different HW, possibly will have a chance for it in the future.
    And will try to contact Wine/Proton mainteiners.
  11. Occam Well-Known Member

Great post Sturmlocke. I play on a MacBook Pro and have for years. While Crossover is your best bet as far as virtual machines go, if you really want to play on Mac you should be using a Window Bootcamp partition. Here's something I posted a few years ago on another thread:
  12. Aterskia Active Member

me'es no be's sure,
    but me's tinks better awl EverQuest files be's downloaded in/through Steam'ies onna 'Buntu,...
    heard it's be's said dat sum kinna change be mades so kin play in 'Buntu,... inna dat RITE? Sturmlocke
    (him's be way way experts in 'Buntu an Steam'ies)
  13. Aterskia Active Member

okie,.. here be's lots pictures!! (tahwee'ies if slo loadin')
    Bof be's fum identical hardwares!
    OptiPlex 790, i7 CPU, 12GB(win7) or 16GB(Kubuntu) ram,
    and Radeon RX 6400;
    both EQII graphics set to High Quality, max in-game FPS(240), no vsync.
    first set be fum winnows 7, second set Kubuntu 2204:

Plane of Magic:
    [IMG]

Plane of Knowledge:
    [IMG]

Plane of Fire:
    [IMG]
    ==================================================================================================

Plane of Magic:
    [IMG]

Plane of Knowledge:
    [IMG]

Plane of Fire:
    [IMG]

me's be tink'in dat KUBUNTU+Steam blo's winnow 7 OTTA DA ~~~WAWA~~~!!!!!\
    /e drops microphone on floor.
  14. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Holy crap, was just talking to At about this, and I'm honestly brutally impressed by the numbers. Kubuntu is more than twice as fast versus Windows (and Windows even has compositing turned off). Okay, a round of applaus for At, because he actually went the extra-extra mile for us by:
    1. Installing Kubuntu on his Alienware 18 and providing screenshots and numbers that are higher than what he had on Windows
    2. And to make things even better, he literally purchased more hardware for TWO Optiplex 790 SFF systems, making them nearly identical on paper
    3. He actually reinstalled and restored both OS's on both machines and then updated them
    4. He tested both side by side: Kubuntu vs Windows
    5. He redownloaded EQ2 a couple of times (25 GB per download)
    6. And he pretty much used up all of his available cellular data and bandwidth to test all of this
    7. In other words, he invested time and money to do this
    This just goes to show: a) Vulkan rocks and b) the tiny RX 6400 low profile and single slot gpu (50 Watts) packs a serious punch under Linux - even though the Optiplex 790 SFF only uses PCIE 2.1, which actually lowers the overall performance of this gpu. Using PCIE 4.0 should push performance even higher in certain apps and games. In other words, AT f*cking nailed it. Thanks @At for showcasing all the above! Btw, he performed all of the necessary steps with Linux on his Optiplex machines all by himself, after doing it once or twice on his Alienware. If he can do it, so can you.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Aterskia like this.
  15. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Oh yeah, wait till you have kids, then stuff like this gets pushed back even more, haha :D That being said, children are the most beautiful blessing and treasure one can have. Love them with all my heart, teaching them how to use the computer already. My son likes to watch me play EQ2 from time to time, which is very relaxing for both of us. And yeah, do contact the maintainers and let's see how it goes. That's what the community is all about after all. Since Linux is my daily driver, we don't have a single Windows machine in our household. If something doesn't work ootb on Linux, I either make it work or let it be. If I decide to make it work, I take my time, even if that means putting it on ice for the time being. Patience is a key factor nowadays, not always easy though, not always easy.

Don't take this video too seriously, hehe, just poking fun

Thank you for your kind words and thanks for the feedback. I fully agree, having options is good - makes it more difficult to force something upon users. And yeah, believe it or not, before I decided to go full time on Linux, I did have a few Mac systems in our household and one of them was a stunning Macbook Pro. Macs are beautifully crafted, high quality and do have their benefits, for sure, even though I don't like their closed and highly controlled / surveilled environment nowadays, I still like the fact that we, as users, get to choose. Back then, when I was much younger (teenager), I played around with Bootcamp, Parallels, Crossover and many more. My verdict back then is nearly identical to my verdict today: I decided not to install Windows on my "expensive" Mac, because that completely defeats the purpose of purchasing such a well crafted device with Mac OS preinstalled (hard- and software both coming from the same hand does have it's benefits after all). So putting Windows on such a device really felt like a huge downgrade to me, since I was trying to get away from it. That and the fact that I then had to maintain two separate OS's and make sure that Windows didn't get sick when browsing the interwebs ultimately made me ditch Bootcamp in favor of Crossover for the longest time.

I actually had a nice discussion with Khayos and Miauler about this subject some time ago: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/64-bit-beta-client-news.603954/#post-6686581

The reason that EQ2 is lagging behind on Crossover is because Apple decided to ditch 32-bit support, which is something that both EQ2 and Crossover require to function properly. That and the fact that Crossover is actually translating an x86 app to the M1 ARM chipset also takes its toll on performance, but fear not, according to Khayos, and many other ppl I have asked so far, the switch to the new 64-bit client might actually help improve performance for ppl playing EQ2 on Crossover, finally bringing Crossover + Mac + EQ2 64b back up to respectable performance. Under normal 64b circumstances, Crossover does make use of DXVK / Vulkan, also increasing performance for Mac users in certain apps and games. Ofc the jump in power isn't as big as what you would expect to see from something like Linux, but it's good nonetheless. It's basically the same idea, using DXVK / Vulkan for old games that are running the outdated DirectX9 Api = boost in performance under Vulkan and similar apis.

See here for example:

Crossover + DXVK + 64b versus a full blown Virtual Machine = no need for Windows on that shiny and beautiful Mac.

32-bit apps, on the other hand, don't do so well on Catalina and above:

Btw, the very same discussion was held for Ubuntu, where Canonical seemingly wanted to remove some of its 32-bit support from the OS, but the community backlash made them reconsider their decision, and now they not only still support 32-bit, but they're also reinvesting in gaming and going the extra mile with the new Steam snap, which should make the entire process easier and more secure for Ubuntu users:
    Cheers
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Aterskia like this.
  16. Frid Member

Hey guys I apologise if this question has already been answered but I would like to know more about the steam deck.

The thing is I want a steam deck and I also need a new PC to be able to run EQ2 on high settings but I CANNOT afford both things. Now, can a steam deck run Everquest 2 at max settings at 60+ FPS with the 64 bit client or with a comparable performance to a 600 bucks PC? If the answer is yes, is it too difficult to set it up? Thank you guys keep it up
  17. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Hi there Frid, no need to apologise, questions are welcome! :) Now that's a very, very good question and a tricky one at that. Not sure I can give you the answer that you seek rn, but I can put some of the numbers into perspective. Take all of this with a huge grain of salt though, merely pointing you into the right direction. Btw, I updated the guide the other day and added a bit of Steam Deck info right below the Google Stadia stuff. Huge image of the Steam Deck too, so it's easily distinguishable from the rest of the information.

I'll just copy and paste what you see on page one first:
    So, as you can see, the Deck is able to surpass Windows in a number of games when using the same hardware, it's also able to surpass last-gen consoles (PS4, XBO) when it comes to graphical fidelity / fps and it's even capable of rising up to the challenge and equally compete with the next-gen Series S. In addition, as you can see in one of the videos further above, the most recent SD firmware raised performance even higher than before, and fixed a ton of other stuff too. In other words, still lots of untapped potential slumbering deep within its core just waiting to be released.

In addition, it seems that the SD is able to utilize the hardware a bit better in GameMode:

See here for more info.

Things to keep in mind though: a) it's a mobile device, thermal and battery life are a priority here, which is going to hold back its per-chip peak performance / potential and b) it's still fairly new on the market, performance enhancing optimizations are coming in step by step.

Now, it's not going to be easy to compare the numbers without seeing the detailed specs of that 600 dollars PC that you mentioned earlier. Considering how GPU prices have been skyrocketing over the last two or three years (doubling and even tripling in prices), it really depends what you're getting for 600 bucks. Post some specs and let us compare a bit. All in all, I can see the SD being able to run EQ2 in high quality settings just fine, not sure about the solid and locked 60 fps though. Personally, if I were given the same decision to make, and if I'd have to choose right here and right now, I would totally go for the Steam Deck and just switch between mobile and desktop mode when needed. I had a Nintendo Switch Lite once and let me tell you, spontaneously playing games with that device on my couch, garden or balcony was so much fun and much more relaxing than sitting in front of the PC monitor.
  18. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

19. Frid Member

Wow, thank you so much for the research. Actually I had not seen that Youtube video of the steam deck running EQ2. To be honest it is kind of dissapointing. He is playing solo at sinking sands and still his FPS drop below 60 FPS. Now imagine that with high settings and on raid situations, that would perform quite poorly I would imagine. It makes me wonder if I should not just buy a PC for EQ2 first as it is my gaming priority. Thank you again for your effort.
  20. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Sure, np, yw.

Fps drop? You mean when it dropped to 55fps for a second? Yeah, that can also happen on higher specced machines tbh, but in order to make sure, I asked him to retest again at SD's maximum performance settings, without vsync, with EQ2 set to high graphics and if possible with FSR activated (the latter just testwise).

SD has a system-wide FSR option that you can enable in order to boost performance even further. Amd FSR:

[IMG]

Strangely enough though, other more demanding titles seem to be running better than EQ2 on the Deck, not sure though as we need more info from that YouTuber. But yeah, if raiding at maximum peak performance / settings @60fps is what you want, you're most likely going to need a mid- to high-end gaming rig for that. What specs does your 600 dollar PC have? Gotta keep in mind though, the SD's soc is rated at max. 15 Watts TDP = a single slot and Low Profile desktop GPU like the RX 6400 already uses nearly 3-4 times more power and a gaming GPU is going to be at 120 / 150+ Watts for the GPU alone. The Deck really is a portable device first and foremost and a "decent" stationary PC second (= not a high-end gaming rig).

Cheers