EQ2 on 12900

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Beee, Dec 27, 2021.

1. Beee Well-Known Member

After checking why EQ2 does not run fine on a new Intel 12900, I found out EQ2 is running on an efficency core.
    EQ2 runs on the hightest core, so only by disabling the efficency cores EQ2 runs on a performance core.

Seems there has to be an easy fix in EQ2 to support the different cores and not to use the highest core.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  2. Taled Well-Known Member

IIRC, there is no fix in the game itself as far as assigning cores/etc because multi-core/multi-threading were not really a consideration 20 years ago.

Maybe when we get a 64 bit client...

However, you *should* be able to assign the core affinity in Windows for the program, though I don't recall exactly how off the top of my head at the moment.
  3. Bludd Well-Known Member

try to change priority

or use windows 11
  4. Taled Well-Known Member

5. Treggar Active Member

I've found that setting affinity for eq2 only lasts until you zone. Some cores on my CPU overclock better than others so I was trying to pin it to one of those, but it never sticks. Also while I was using my wife's account as a HB on the same machine I tried to pin the processes to different cores and that didn't work too well either.
  6. Taled Well-Known Member

Ahh. I forgot about that, you're right.
  7. Bludd Well-Known Member

maybe Profile Lasso can be of use? dont know if free version is enough
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Beee like this.
  8. Beee Well-Known Member

Will try within the next days. However Everquest2 is implemented to use only the highest cores causes this problem. Disabling the effency cores helps, but out of the box EQ2 is much slower on a 12900 than on a 11900.
    The efficency cores really dont work well for EQ2
  9. Priority Well-Known Member

Is there any reason to do this if youre not particularly having issues? Im on a 10900 and havent noticed anything outside of the normal crash on zoning or closing a vendor.
  10. Beee Well-Known Member

12900 has efficency cores.. which have a much lower performance than the 8 performance cores. EQ2 is much faster on the 10900 than on the efficency core of a 12900
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Priority like this.
  11. Bludd Well-Known Member

not really, its as bee says the new intel cpus are hybrid design with performance cores and efficiency cores and

windows 10 supports but not 100%, windows 11 supports better
    windows 10 puts stuff on efficiency core if the process priority is set to below normal and lower

but eq2 devs may have to do something too for 100% support
  12. Bludd Well-Known Member

13. Hartsmith Well-Known Member

All this talk about multi core, efficiency core, performance core is giving me a headache. I am starting to understand why grampa couldn't figure out how to connect the vcr cables back in the 80s.

However, someone mentioned hybrid design. Makes me wonder if that is what my laptop is with both a dedicated and integrated graphics cards, and would this thread be about the reason why, when I play with two accounts at same time but log off one to focus on the other, the screen goes from bright vivid to dark and hard to see?
  14. Treggar Active Member

This is likely you playing with in-game modified gamma settings and one resetting it back to normal levels without any awareness of the other client running on the same pc. See if adjusting the gamma slider once the first client exits returns it to normal.
  15. Hartsmith Well-Known Member

I don't think I've ever adjusted the gamma, but I will give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion.
  16. Beee Well-Known Member

Lasso does not work well with EQ2 on a 12900: It produces very often spikes on changing the core. It seems EQ2 forces itself to run on the highest core.

The smoothes way seems to disable the efficency cores. Otherwise EQ2 get only 2/3 of the possible performance unless daybreak optimizes the foreced core handling.
  17. Beee Well-Known Member

It seems to be impossible to force EQ2 not to run on the highest core.

On the 12900 the preformance cores run with >5GHz, the efficency cores with 3.6 GHz The CPU ist designed as 2x8 performance cores + 8 efficeny cores. On the test system here EQ2 always runs on the highest core - even the programm should run on core 8 (7+15) in taskmanager or with lasso,
    The higest core is an efficency core. So i would guess EQ2 runs out of the box much faster on a 11900 than on a highend 12900.

This has to be changed by Daybreak ideep n the EQ2 core
  18. Akada Member

mmmh,

I am only find this utility. Maybe you give it a try:

Process Lasso

Some of the features:

CPU Affinities - Set persistent CPU affinities so that processes run on the desired set of CPUs every time they launch.
    CPU Sets - A ‘softer’ from of CPU Affinities that are more like preferred cores.
    Priority Classes - Set persistent CPU, I/O, and memory priorities so that processes run at the desired priorities every time they launch.

Let me know if this works ;-)
  19. Beee Well-Known Member

As I wrote: EQ2 cant be forced with Process Lasso to run on cores 0-15 and ignore cores 16-23.
    It seems the programm always runs on the highest core - however this is coded in EQ2.

On forcing EQ2 to run eg on core 3+4 it works for some seconds (~5 sec) and then it's swappes back to the highest core. It seems the core of EQ runs on the pointed cpu cores and the graphic rendering engine (which uses the most cpu) uses the highes core

btw: "start /affinity 3 everquest2.exe" does not help to force core#3 too .. so it's a thing which has to fixed internal in EQ2
  20. Laughing Owl Active Member

Cross fingers, that the planned for later this year 64-bit eq2 client will solve this (and alot of other possible issues
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Beee like this.