Eq2 Client Has Stopped Working

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Trasor, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Trasor Active Member

Hi EQ2 community,

So I am getting this error the application will start prior to getting to the character select.

I have done the following:
    • Installed the Microsoft DirectX (June 2010 version I believe)
    • Re-configured and updated all drivers
    • Did a full clean install and scan of the Beta folder
    Which log should I look at to isolate the issue? Any further suggestions? I am running Win10.
    Thanks!
  2. Hartay Keeper of the Server Hamsters

Look for a file called alertlog.txt, or debug.txt.

How far after you hit play does it crash?
  3. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

Check your version of DirectX - EQ2 requires DirectX 9c specifically to run properly. It can sit quite happily in the same file as a current version of DirectX, but you MUST have 9c.
    Breanna and Sigrdrifa like this.
  4. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

EQ2 is picky. It wants specifically DirectX 9,0c, which you can download directly from Microsoft. This will coexist peacefully with any other DirectX versions you may have installed already.

Ypu probably need to be more specific about the problem being with the PVP Beta install... I'm guessing that's the issue from your mention of "Beta" in your post.
  5. Trasor Active Member

So I tried that link, when I went to download it - it threw me an error that I can only download on an old version of Windows.

This is the alertlog text, nothing in the other one:

build="DGCBuild=14506L" version="DGCVersionString=2019/1/30 11:33:07" build_type="USER OPTIMIZED" ls_address="none" zone="<None>" loc=" 0.00 0.00 0.00" performance="3" alert="G:\live\eq2\framework\vdl\VdlErr.cpp(85): (VDL Parser) runtimevdl/cbaseclasses.vdl(21) : Error, File not found, runtimevdl/services.vdl.
    "

I get to the intros (epilepsy, sponsors, etc.) then it crashes when it looks to initialize.
  6. Trasor Active Member

Further update: I have gotten the notification that I have the version of DirectX, I tried re-installing and it didn't let me - so that was the error there.

Took the files that Feldon said I needed and pasted them in the Beta folder...also I installed the full version of the game.
  7. Trasor Active Member

Resolved: I had to unplug my external monitor from my laptop, I believe the drivers from my monitor were interfering with what I had on my laptop.

Surprisingly, an easy fix!
    Rhodris and Cyrrena like this.
  8. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Glad that your issue was resolved, even if you had to figure it out yourself.

Welcome to Norrath, enjoy your journey.
    Breanna likes this.
  9. Taligia New Member

I am having the failure to launch issue since forced to upgrade to Windows 10 1903. Nothing nothing nothing anyone has tried fixed it. Still crashes a few seconds after the window opens either by hitting play on launcher or double clicking EQ2.exe. I don't play on a laptop so that's not the fix. ANY suggestions would be most welcome.