Epic 1.0

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Conifur, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Crazycatlady Member

Yes it did complete and the gem did disappear also. I double checked and it says Bloodmoon rising completed.
  2. Dude Well-Known Member

I'm really enjoying the Epic 1.0 quests. I've done 4 so far. I forgot how much I liked Kunark. It's been nice going back to places and re-discovering them.
  3. Widem Active Member

The epic quests are just boring AF.

Most of the reason is that there really is just no fighting. Most of the time is spent playing messenger person gating back and forth between cities then auto running while you play another game for a couple minutes then check back.

Oh I forget who said it, the idea that if you have never done a specific epic quest line before then its new content is pure BS.

Its all the same stuff in different orders.
    Laiina and DoomDrake like this.
  4. rutro Well-Known Member

Yeah...the game sure was awesome in real time back then...It was right before or around the time that Armageddon started for the game: Guild halls, fast travel, easy mode mobs that die from breathing on them. The cities and overland areas became more and more Barron after this expansion. I agree, this was probably the last awesome expansion.
  5. Moradinn New Member

I am having an issue just starting the Epic 1.0 timeline for my Necro. I go to Freeport and talk to Tosha in Mage temple basement and all I get is Dont interupt my studies whelp over and over. I have tried for days to get her to offer discussin or mention this teacher which means qurts spawns in crypt in commonlands. I have done the Epic Conversion line already for the mythical. Am I correct in assuming that I have to start from scratch to be able to to Epic 2.0 when it comes out in the xpac? Any help is appreciated. btw, I need to do it on Mystic, Guardian and Zerker as well ;O
  6. Dude Well-Known Member

After that did you talk to the quest giver?

http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/The_Bones_of_Insanity
  7. Widem Active Member

I didn't notice this until it was just quoted.

Saying things like this terrifies me. This is a video game and not a book series. If you are relying on something that is outside of your core competency you are way out of touch with the market.

As of now the quests on beta have responses designed to make you read the content. Fortunately, I am smarter than whoever designed this as anything that ends with a question mark advances dialogue and anything that ends with a period kills the progression. You just look at the end and click.

You guys aren't JK Rowling or George RRRRRR Martin. Don't try and pretend that reading through this story line is some type of hallmark that just keeps people engaged. The vast majority of the traffic on this site is over things like game mechanics and itemization. That is what people care about to the core and the rest is fluff.
  8. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

All in all even for BL Epic was not "horribly" bad - just boring as hell and by my count take may be 16 or so play hours to complete (longest part is doing pre-requisites). The only gated piece of crap was doing Rim: Spire Citadel because it DOES require 3 person to pull the switches in very same time (and even then it can take couple tries to sync pull over team speak :)). I vaguely remember that warlock epic was longer (more time consuming) but most because more leg work was involved but on the bright side it was more interesting story wise. Personally (retroactively after I done epics for both my mains) I not see any positive reason in doing Epic 1.0 as a pre-req for Epic 2.0 - ER should be enough or just introduce some pre-req quest for those who did not done Epic 1.0 (with desired duration for time sink because where is no other reason behind doing Epic 1.0 for anyone). I do admit thou that some mythical buff relevant in the end-game (while it was not so much for warlock for beastlord 20% boost for Primal chain well worth efforts it takes to get it)
  9. Lojaak Well-Known Member

Where did I mention anything about FPS? Nowhere. Running old content for some is rewarding - the break meant I didn't get to see some zones and now I have, it's fresh to me.
  10. Feldon Well-Known Member

One of the most offensive posts I've seen on these forums in recent history.

This is an MMORPG. There is a storyline. That you choose to ignore it is your own business, but posting here and telling the designers they are wasting their time and you think their writing is garbage is not going to win you any friends.
    Katz, HaphazardAllure and Malleria like this.
  11. Feldon Well-Known Member

The devs have put in a great deal of effort so that most storylines can be experienced solo.
  12. Mystfit Well-Known Member

I'd laugh at your silliness if what you said wasn't just....mean.
  13. Drusi_EQ2 Well-Known Member

I have to say I have really enjoyed the storyline, and the lore in Norrath from EQ1 and EQ2 just hasn't been surpassed for me in any other MMO to date. It's really helped my characters become a part of Norrath and the various cultures rather than just "toons". Sure, we've all clicked through some quests after we've seen them a bunch of times, but think of how bland the game would be if there was no story, no lore, no carefully crafted cultures, no nothing and that it was just a bunch of game mechanics thrown together.

Yes, I could go read a book and in fact I love books and I read MANY of them, but a MMO is a living world with quests that involve stories too, and yes they are text-based and thus involve reading. While we do have the *option* to ignore them, we don't always have the option to skip over most of the game in order to get the reward at the end as some people here are demanding we do.

The people posting here most likely are currently playing the game. There is plenty of time to do the quests and get your epic before the expansion comes out. I did it myself...fabled, mythic, and epic repercussions and 50K Reet faction, and that was days ago. It was interesting and fun and gave me a chance to go back and enjoy more of Kunark.

And if you self-mentor, you're not even killing grey things and so are getting some benefit whether it be XP, AA, deity, loot for alts, selling, or transmuting, and lots of shinies! Mmmm shinies!
    HaphazardAllure likes this.
  14. Widem Active Member

This is one big pivot.

I didn't say it was garbage, I said it wasn't a hallmark of this game. AND once again most of the gripes that happen on these boards have to do with itemization and game mechanics. This is what is valuable to people and pretending that the storyline makes up for that is insulting. This wasn't about the Developers, this was about the words you used in order to change the subject.

What someone hears from your original comment is "Don't look at the problems we are having with gating content, slow down and read the story." Just simply say that you don't want everything beat as fast as it was in ToT, your not sure how to fix it b/c of stat problems, so you are creating a critical mitigation mechanic and a dialy xp cap grind a way out.

If you find that hateful I can freely give a compliment to game design. Domino is simply amazing at her job, just saying. The most recent crafting quests and the ones on beta are concise, understandable, and just as soon as you think its about to get tedious a different kind of mission is required. Whether it is on accident or she runs through these things I can't say, but the result is good.
  15. Drusi_EQ2 Well-Known Member

So you're saying you're going to need to have all 50 of your characters ready to do epic 2.0 *immediately* the very moment the expansion is released? And they ALL already have max XP, AA, transmuting, all shinies completed, and full deity levels so that none get any benefit whatsoever from mentoring to do the 1.0 questline?

In that case, maybe you're the exception here and you're not really speaking for most of the EQ2 population.

Have you considered that most of your characters won't even need an epic weapon at all? No need to do any of the epic quests then. Problem solved.
    Feldon and Tohopka like this.
  16. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

its not fps :) its FACEROLL! :)
    Diveris likes this.
  17. Drusi_EQ2 Well-Known Member

Have you considered that most players haven't done every epic at least once and been through most stories at least 15 times, even if they've been playing since launch. Have you considered that many players don't play solely for what is quickest and most efficient, and that many do not even have a single maxed out character, much less 50 of them? And that most players don't regularly delete their level 100 characters just for fun?

DBG catering to what you're asking for would be like catering to the 1%. I'm not even really all that sure why you're complaining since it sounds like you've already done everything. A brand new player is completely opposite and hasn't even had the opportunity to experience anything, and you're here proposing they need to skip most of the game, including an expansion that may be the best one EQ2 has ever had.

Maybe DBG doesn't want to allow everyone to skip over all the content in EQ2 as it may not be what is best for players despite being the easiest and most efficient way. It would be even more efficient just to have NPCs standing on the docks when you start the game that boost you directly to max level in everything, give you all the best equipment, and complete all your quests for you, but that's not necessarily what's best for players either.

When people make alts, the majority aren't thinking, "If I make an alt, I'm going to have to do this epic quest that I hate." Instead they're just wanting to try out something new and more than likely won't even have reason to ever get an epic weapon in the first place or even get to max level.

You are an exceptional player and not the norm.
    rutro and Lojaak like this.
  18. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

I would say that there are many players, all who I know anyway, who when they roll an alt, boost it up/level it up quickly through agnostics or whatever, to be able to play the current content. Current content is where most people are active, so if you want to try out an alt, you get yourself to where the action is. Adding more requirements in old zones makes the jump from 'new player' to 'player who has fun with others' longer. I think this is actually more common of a situation than people who go the slow way and never reach level 100--at least on live.

And I say every time, 'ok, I am going to make an alt. Time to do ER... again..' and now it will become 'time to do ER and epic 1.0 and learn different languages and in some cases grind a couple of old factions' and that doesn't even factor in leveling your ascension class once that is an established mechanic. So for the future of the game in trying to pull in new blood who will be able to play where most people play... well it's sounding like those who defend this type of system don't really want the game to last much longer or can't see past their long history in the game to what is staring the rest of us in the face--and that is a population that will continue to decline.

I enjoyed doing the old epics on my 2 characters that I plan on taking into the expansion--aside from the faction for one of them. I missed kunark and a bunch of other things, because I wanted to play with my friends who were exploring AoM when I began my journey. And it was great to learn more about the older places in the game. But I feel it is something that should not be required, since I can see how it is yet another step that could potentially prevent people from wanting to play this game or roll more alts. Alts keep the game alive at lower levels (to a small extent) and at max level (to a large extent). The way this expansion is rolling out has already caused me to want to minimize my own handful of characters down to 2. So if you look at it one way, we just lost 4 potential heroic group partners. Depending on how ascension works, I might end up only playing one. Perhaps that's intended for some reason. But it is going to result in fewer active toons.
    DoomDrake, Ixian and Diveris like this.
  19. Drusi_EQ2 Well-Known Member

No one is being forced to do epic 1.0 because epic 2.0 is completely optional. Players can still enjoy the vast majority of the KA expansion, if not all of it, without ever touching an epic weapon. Epic 1.0 is only a requirement for those who choose to complete epic 2.0 and not for anything else.

Yes, people can choose to skip a lot of content with hero tokens and whatnot, but if they want (note, not need) the *optional* epic 2.0 weapon, then they might need to put in some extra effort to get it, which apparently includes some steps of older content.
    Feldon, rutro and Lojaak like this.
  20. Nkito Well-Known Member

Nothing is optional imo but if you're not min/maxing the statement made officially was:

As to the Epic 2.0 weapons. These will be best in slot weapons that will not see upgrades for at least 2 years. They are not required for any solo, heroic or raid content, except the highest end raid content [Tier 4 Raid Content
    Feldon likes this.
  21. Drusi_EQ2 Well-Known Member

That's what I was saying. The vast majority of KA content is available for players to enjoy without ever touching an epic weapon. While many of us may *want* to get it, we don't *need* it. It's optional in that sense. Not having our epic 2.0 weapon isn't going to prevent us from enjoying most of the expansion. We won't even have the option of getting 2.0 anyway until we've already played much of the expansion because for one, it won't be in the game when the expansion is released, and for two, we have to have maxed out at least one of our ascension classes before we could even choose to start the 2.0 questline, and we can only get a certain amount of ascension experience per day.

Still plenty of time to get that 1.0 done for numerous alts if we feel it is *personally* mandatory for us to do so. But DBG isn't forcing it on us.
  22. Drusi_EQ2 Well-Known Member

If you're a top tier raider, probably, but then you're not the majority of players, and it's been my experience that top tier raiders will put in whatever work is necessary to get their characters prepared ahead of time. I doubt most of them are here on the forum complaining about 1.0. They either have it done or are getting it done.

If you're talking about heroic groups, there will be plenty of options. You don't have to choose to group with people who make unnecessary equipment demands. You can start your own more casual group where people are equipped sufficiently for the content, but not composed of people like snobs. You can group with guild mates who don't care, etc.