Enitire sections of zone are black

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Firstof3, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Firstof3 New Member

certain zones like the Ruins of Kaesora raid zone have entire areas that are black. I can make out an outline of my character, and other characters, but nothing else. Character names are normal. then I will cross that magic line or the camera angle will change and the zone will seem fine. Any ideas how to fix this?
  2. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

No idea how to fix it, but it sounds like the same thing that causes some areas to be totally white or green until the camera angle changes or the character moves slightly. I have hunted and hunted for a solution to no avail.

Cyrrena
  3. Amythyste New Member

I am having the same issue--for several months now. Anyone have a solution or explanation?
  4. Alarra Well-Known Member

This is due to your video card. I experienced it with my previous computer.
    Sometimes you can fix it with a driver update, but from my experience it never fixed it and I just had to put up with it until I bought a new computer.
    I at one point talked to my video card maker and they send me back to the OEM. They both refused to test it.
    I had an Intel HD 3000.
    I tried talking to SOE (as it was SOE at the time), and they said it was up to the video card maker. So I got spun in circles until I just gave up.

When I talked about it in Discord, I found about 2-3 people with the same issue and they all had Intel onboard cards.

My current card which has no issues with it is an NVidia 1070X.

I have heard that some AMD cards also experience this issue.

I couldn't give you something concrete, but it seems to be linked to mist effects and possibly using a OpenGL feature that is not supported by your card.

Places that I have experienced the phenomenon:
    - Wailing Caves in the water area
    - Timoros Depths house where the window is white
    - Throne os storms area in Kael Drakkal (I think, one of the Kael Zones anyway)
    - Ruins of Calbiss (round the waterfall)
    - Kaesora: Ancient Xalgozian Temple (Raid) (Entire bottom area)

Here is a link to the post I made on it with Screenshots
    Evguenil62 likes this.
  5. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Sometimes the problem is that temporarily the game has lost its hiney and isn't loading textures. If you see this, try logging out of the game, reboot your computer, then log back in.

If that doesn't fix it, then I'm going to suspect your graphics card and/or driver. There's some discussion of dealing with old drivers and updating drivers in the Guide to Optimizing Display Performance, Rebooted.

It's also possible that one or more texture files have gotten borked. If so:
    1. Close the game.
    2. Start the Launchpad.
    3. Look for the "Advanced Tools" button (it has an image of a crossed hammer and wrench). Click that button.
    4. Click "Validate Game Assets" on the left then click the green Validate button. This forces a scan of all your installed game files. The Launchpad will tell you if any are broken, and will download good copies to replace them.

Meanwhile, it would help us diagnose if we had a little more info about your graphics card and its drivers.

(1) Click the Windows Start button, Run, then in the box type dxdiag and hit Enter. That opens the DirectX diagnostic tool, which gathers a lot of useful info about your machine.

(2) When it's done assembling data, click the Save All Information button, and tell it to put the file somewhere you can find it. I usually save mine as C:\dxdiag_yyyymmdd.txt

(3) Once that's done, you can close the dxdiag window.

(4) Now, open that file you just saved. Notepad.exe works just fine for this. We want to see just a little bit of that data, mainly the card name, manufacturer, driver file version, and the driver date/size, so grab the chunk describing your display driver and edit out the lines we don't need. It should look something like this:
    ---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: AMD Radeon HD 5670
    Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    Driver File Version: 8.17.0010.1404 (English)
    Driver Date/Size: 11/4/2015 12:00:00 AM, 1479808 bytes

This will give you enough information to be able to intelligently select a possible new display driver.
    If you have an old driver, I'd first try updating to the most current driver to see if that helps. If you have the most current, I'd try backing up one version at a time to see if that's better.

Generally, the advice is to completely uninstall current drivers before installing new. FIRST check the device manufacturer's website and see if your driver is out of date. If so, before you start installing new drivers, check and see if the manufacturer has instructions on doing this safely. Otherwise, Google "System Restore and Driver Rollback Instructions" and make sure you can undo a driver change that proves problematic.

I generally use a tool called DriverAgent to help me identify where I have out of date drivers, and guide me to the correct downloads for new drivers. All the cautions about understanding "System Restore and Driver Rollback Instructions" STILL APPLY.
  6. Borracho New Member

I fixed this by going into windows updates and installing all non essential updates.