English names?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Smallcorners, Jun 21, 2021.

1. Smallcorners Well-Known Member

What exactly is an "English name"?

This is a fantasy world and as such I doubt there are many toons with "English names" to be found on the servers. Or did you mean forcing the use of the western alphabet over the scripts of Cyrillic or Japanese for examples? Are you also going to disallow all those alternate letters that use alt-codes?

If it is special characters that you wish to curtail, then say that because otherwise you just sound like another ******* American company.
  2. Amalar The combined salt from all of SOE/DBGs fallen MMOs

Please can I have the 30 seconds I spent reading this back
  3. Jamen Member

Yet another prime example of someone complaining about something they don't even understand
  4. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

No you guys , it has nothing to do with good old English names , all this means is that you should only use letters that are available on a English language keyboard , no Chinese pictograms or Russian letters .
    It is a pain to send people like that mail , if you can at all , or complain about their conduct .
    So you can call yourself Blumentopferde and your be fine . hmm I think I use that name on my next toon , it means
    Potting soil .

Poor Japanese guys on AB ( that's where their sever went )
    But I never saw anybody complaining there , I have seen them there and they seam to what to fit in .

On Thurgadin you can still use those special characters
  5. Noctew Active Member

To be fair, there have always been issues with non-ASCII characters, like not being able to /camp <name> to a character - but that's what I get for giving my Beastlord and her pets names from the IKEA catalogue.

But one has to wonder if anything happened lately that broke the camels back.
  6. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

7. Smallcorners Well-Known Member

I was not complaining, I was asking for clarification. Schmetterling understood what I meant, the message they posted was unclear and should have pointed out that certain letter characters and symbols were no longer going to be allowed.
  8. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

I forget where it was but there was a more clear definition somewhere .
    So far I only met one guy who's name was changed without his knowledge , but in his case somebody thought it's affective , and it was changed in to one of those auto picks , the vast majority of those are not a proper English name , so it could not be what they mean by English names .
  9. DENSER Well-Known Member

If they could already take into account the different suggestions from players about the gameplay, the game itself, that would be good. So your question about letters .... You can always wait
    WhysperWynde likes this.
  10. WhysperWynde Well-Known Member

So a standard alphabet is required is what they are saying? Sounds like rules from every game in existence to me! Why is this even a thread? ... yes I'd like my time spent here reading this returned to me also = in game minutes if you don't mind!!
    Jamen likes this.
  11. Jamen Member

Okay

Fixed
  12. Robynous Well-Known Member

I reserve the right to complain about something I don't understand.
    Geroblue and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  13. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Here's this...

They did it again...they eliminated any "special characters" for our house/hall names, AGAIN. I know this is recent-ish because last year, I could Publish a house with a tilde as the first character of its name on a non-Thurgadin server (Noctew, I envy you! ;->), and this year, nope, no way, no how. It was on the Leaderboards, and then it was gone while I was looking for it last week...while I was standing IN THE PUBLISHED HOUSE. Went back out, looked for it again. Nope; and yes, it was Published still. Went back in; nope, didn't exist, apparently. Unpublished, footled about doing stuff in there (putting in a new item), re-published, kept the name, went back out. Nothing. X-P Finally had to eliminate my li'l tildes (sigh) and white-bread the name; that worked immediately.

And now I can't even put ONE DASH in the title (just now, Halls of Fate), so there goes acknowledging anyone who decorated a place of mine. What the heck?? >:-/

If they decide, AGAIN, that an apostrophe is a "special character," then kiss your Dark Elves goodbye, 'cause you won't be able to have your cultural names again. >:-/

Uwk
    Breanna and Geroblue like this.
  14. Zartil Active Member

Hands Uwkete a big bowl of catnip.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  15. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

/goes for a good roll in it

Doooood... X-D

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.