End game unfriendly to returning player

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Randomeqplayer, Dec 21, 2021.

1. Randomeqplayer New Member

I stopped playing in 2010 and came back for the expansion. I leveled my character from scratch and have the best mount, familiar and mercenary. I have run heroic I dungeons and my resolves are ready for heroic II but have low potency and fervor since I need unlock bardings and level up mounts, familiar and. mercenary, which need pots from heritage overseer quests and shadow ethereal from weeklies.

As a returning player, in order to unlock all mount slots and level up mount, familiar and mercenary, it will take enormous amount of time since heritage quests and weeklies take time. Do developers intend that we returning players should start running end game dungeon in 6 months, 1 year? Or do they require us to level up multiple alts to run weeklies, thus make playing EQ2 a second job?
    chattie likes this.
  2. DENSER Well-Known Member

I stopped like u in 2010 and returned when ros come out.
    There's 2 solutions.
    U wait or you pay.
    That's simple, unfortunetly.
    Regarding mounts, familiar or merc

Don't forget to run actual season 3 overseers and old ones from etheir qeynos or fp npc to have a chance to grab some potions and speed the process
    chattie likes this.
  3. DENSER Well-Known Member

About ethereal, at least u still can earn them in vov. Hopefully
    I heard that those will b Put aside next summer. To be continued
  4. Jamzez Active Member

Who else can remember when Everquest was a bigger name then Final Fantasy sigh the direction you take your franchise can have dire consequences.
    Dambae Shadowfury and Aethos like this.
  5. Randomeqplayer New Member

Sigh, is EQ2 just going to cater to veteran players with those walls? I'm ok with expert ascension spells, but potency and fervor from old contents need be addressed since they are basically time sink.
  6. Randomeqplayer New Member

I kind of regret that I spent so much money on premium edition, thinking that I might be able to catch up with the best mount and familiar. If the developers think that we returning players should wait for 6 months to gather ethereal and pots in order to be able to run end game contents, well I guess the money was wasted.
    ConcealFate likes this.
  7. Priority Well-Known Member

So, as returning players, you expected to be caught up with folks that have been playing for the last decade because you bought an expansion? You can absolutely run the heroics without all that fanciness. You're not going to be as effective as a veteran player, nor should you. Why do you think you should be?

There was a complete gear reset, you were handed 2/3 of the blue challenge vex 2 runes and a slightly downgraded version that's only 3500 Pot lower than the one we got for flawlessing the entire zone. The mount gear and merc levels are small potatos.

You're getting a catch up event for ethereals that we all did real time so you get it faster.

You were basically handed 95% effectiveness.
  8. Kenn Well-Known Member

I was able to easily get through the signature line and crafting lines with my main toon, a paladin. But then I tried to create a new toon and used the auto level to 120. I died like 20 times just doing the first couple quests, and that wasn't in a dungeon. Maybe it is was my class, courser, that I didn't know how to play. I could take on one mob, but a second one always got me.
  9. Taled Well-Known Member

The heroic 2 dungeons are supposed to be difficult - plenty of players who have been actively plauing dont have the stats to run them yet. I'm not sure why you're complaining that three weeks in you're not ready to have finished all available content?

I get that it is frustrating, but - yes, you have to put in some more effort for progression if you didn't spend the time before hand stocking up on things to make it faster. Or you can spend money to speed it up, yes. (Which is a mixed bag, but..)

Your mount, familiar, and mercenary leveling will go at the same speed as anyone else who didn'y have a stockpile of levelers from doing overseers or buying crates. You aren't 'slowed down' or 'behind' or 'held back' because you just returned - as a matter of fact, as Priority said above, this expansion basically *gives* you 90-95% of what you need to 'catch up' to people who played last expansion. The only thing you really dont have is the ethereal trackers or the levelers, both of which aren't terribly hard to get - as you already mentioned, you can run alts to get the ethereals quickly if you want (100 per solo dungeon weekly which is easy and fairly quick with a decent toon) and doing your overseers every day will get you levelers and barding unlockers.
    Miauler and Dambae Shadowfury like this.
  10. Randomeqplayer New Member

If you think returning/new players should be hampered in a new expansion, so be it, but few people will return if they have to play catchup for a whole new expansion, which is supposed to be treated like a new game. There are no efforts involved for leveling mount, ethereal and familiar, just time sink that returning players cannot time-travel to fill out.
    madmocasin3 and ConcealFate like this.
  11. Priority Well-Known Member

Whole new game for you. We've been here. You don't "deserve" to have everything I or others have. Like Taled said, we stockpiled the reducers to level them quickly. If you'd been here, you'd potentially have them too. Not particularly concerned if the experience isn't to your liking. I prefer knowing that my time and effort aren't wasted because some carebear feels entitled.
  12. Randomeqplayer New Member

Carebears? lol You played longer than me, that's it. but I'm playing as hard as anyone else right now. As I said, if the developers think the game should award veteran players, so be it.

In fact, you were stockpiling reducers from old contents, and actually are trivializing the current contents, not so hardcore to me.
  13. Priority Well-Known Member

look at my character and tell me the only thing that separates us is how long i've played. I'll wait.
  14. dorotea Well-Known Member

A new player can fairly quickly get through the signature line and do heroic dungeons. Noy instantly and not without effort but it takes a lot less than 6 months. But "endgame" is something intended not to be available until you get through heroics quite a few times and gear up yourself, your mount and your mercenary. If it could be done a few weeks after starting the game or returning it wouldn't be called endgame it would be called begingame.

Doing overseer missions as much as you can whenever you are on helps to get training time items. Having alts lets you do a lot more missions. If you get boxes of agents you can /claim note that every character can have every agent in any box - create alts, put the agents in shared storage - delete alt.
  15. Randomeqplayer New Member

It is extremely hard for the developers to balance the game if they allow players to stockpile pots ect from old contents but still effective in new contents, thus trivialize the game for them, while new toons will be struggling even for quests.

Within a week, few people were actually questing in all those beautiful zones, because they breezed through them like nothing. I don't understand what's the purpose of the new zones or the whole new expansion.
  16. Priority Well-Known Member

If you think that it was mount/merc unlocks trivializing content, you've got an entirely wrong idea of how things worked the first week. Even with a fully unlocked CE/PE mount, new familiar, new merc; the t2 zones were taking a crazy amount of time to kill anything.

Then a bunch of people cried about how hard they were and they were nerfed into the ground. That's why people are flying through heroics now. Not because most players in this game are just that good. They're not.
  17. Enjine Member

The elitism is strong in this thread.

"I've played longer than you so you don't deserve to be as good as me".

That's a great tagline for returning players to read,
  18. Melt Actually plays the game

To be fair, my opinion as the second group to clear all the heroic IIs is that they were stupid before. The combat mit was a bit too high for where they were, but the fights were all sound. Then it got nerfed by 100k combat mit and then scripts themselves started getting nerfed... idk.

Speaking to the "returning player" thing, while I am not technically a returning player, I am on a brand new account. I purchased only the base edition of the expac, and I now have a toon with all the crate buffs (gotten from ingame plat grinding) that was boosted a few weeks ago. I've got a second toon that's raid ready, also made a few days ago. This account had no overseers, no crates, etc, before this point. I guess I don't see the problem.
  19. Beyoncia Well-Known Member

This is a complete nonsence.

The box gear is weaker then the last expansion items in general. One only gets a handful of good runes; to get more he needs to do 5 years of Panda and pray to Bristlebane for 3-set runes from instances. Etherial AA enhancements and buffs give huge advantage, Merc batalion (even BoL one) gives a incredible amount of fervor and other stats. And so on and so forth.

One more thing, a new/returning player can hardly get into/do any heroic: there are almost no pick up groups in general, and in any case a new player is useless (around 400-420 k potency in solo gear, missing a lot of fervor etc) and unwelcome in groups. One's only chance is to find a guild who will gear him up in heroics.
    madmocasin3 likes this.
  20. DENSER Well-Known Member

And then it's a mmo, if there is one game that still respects the mechanics of this type of game a little, it's eq2.
    If people know this game, have played it, know the mmo, this kind of topic shouldn't even go through their heads.

I understand about those merc, fam, mounts, its the kind of pay to win stuff in eq now, you re new, u pay crates, u stock potions via overseer or u wait.
    I waited a year to stock those and be able to be rdy at the start of vov.

Potency, u missed last xpac so u miss void red runes, u miss all heroics ros achiev reward, a nice 60 fervor rune.
    U missed ethereal.

Just sweat a lil more, be patient and it will come.
    Money is not everything, and fortunately otherwise Much would have already left. A bonus, huge even but which does not replace the in-depth work