Emperor Vekin's current residency

Discussion in 'History and Lore' started by ARCHIVED-Gasheron, Jun 30, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-Gasheron Guest

Now, this question has been plaguing me for a while now, but about two months after RoK came out, I decided to give up on it, along with several other pieces of lore I felt were missing from the expansion. And then, last week, while in a group in CoA, I voiced this question to my group as an offhand remark, and was given a very startling, at least for me, and frustrating reply.
    The question is: Why is the spirit of Emperor Vekin, the ruler of the Cabilisian Empire, the Iksar from EQ1, who spent his time in a grand palace dedicated to torture, not in the ruins of Cabilis, but rather in a dungeon in Sebilis?
    My groupmate's reply was that there was a quest that explained it, but they didn't remember any details. I've tried, but cannot seem to locate this quest, or the specifics of this bit of lore.
    I searched here, and although there is a good topic on who he is, it doesn't explain what happened to him during the 500 year break, and why he is currently in Sebilis. So, I'm posing the question here.
    Just why is Emperor Vekin's spirit in the Crypt of Agony? Did Venril drag him there by force after Cabilis was destroyed? Is the Crypt of Agony a place Venril sticks the souls of those he dislikes to torture them even in death? Or is it something more natural, like a "holy" burial ground for Iksar that they all return to upon death?
    If anyone can help, I'd be very appreciative.
  2. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

There are other famous iksar Guildmasters from Cabilis also located in Crypt of Agony. I don't know if it's explained how they ended up there.
    My guess: The Iksar decided to move the remains of the important dead people to Sebilis after Sathir took over to show more respect to them, and to prevent thier final resting place from being destroyed by the Cataclysms.
  3. ARCHIVED-Zabjade Guest

Besides the "Ruins of Cabilis" are only the out-buildings closest to the Field of Bone not the actual city itself.
  4. ARCHIVED-Dreyco Guest

Actually, the guildmasters that are in the Crypt of Agony aren't from Cabilis from what i'm seeing, at least, not the ones that we remember from the Age of Turmoil. Their names are completely unfamiliar.

Is it possible that Vekin's body was moved? Dunno. I don't think it's explained. If there is a quest? I'd love to see the dialogue.
  5. ARCHIVED-shadowscale Guest

the guild masters in CoA are the same ones from 500 years ago in the crypt of sebilis. only one missing from the crypts in chotol who is now in outer sebilis. it was never really explained who the guild masters were even then.
  6. ARCHIVED-Dreyco Guest

Strange how Vekin ended up with them then. Huh.
  7. ARCHIVED-Gannor Guest

Emperor Vekin was not a powerful or imposing Iksar. Being outide of the traditional ruling Sathir bloodline, he found some trouble beginning his 'New Empire' out of Cabilis. But, lo and behold, he managed to establish a thriving haven from which the Iksar could dream of retaking their lands. A dream that, while safely protected in his care, was never given chance to flourish.

When Venril Sathir reclaimed his empire, he naturally returned and purged his own captiol to serve once more. Sebilis was, and is again, the very heart of the Iksar nation. Those who had fallen in Sebilis when the Dragons backstabbed my people, those heros and leaders from the end of the Sathir Bloodline's days, were moved with honors into the Crypt of Agony, to leave the greater city safe for its new, living residence. While I do believe Emperor Vekin met with a rather fatal end when Venril came to town, placing him among the fallen of Sebilis seems to me a way of paying tribute where tribute is due. Venril had to kill him - Venril was retaking the throne, and it was only in good form that the improper Emperor be put to death in haste. But, Venril must also give credit to Vekin for keeping he dream alive. For keeping the Iksar alive. So while form dictates he must die, honor dictates he must be respected.

And on a side note, just adding for clarification, Chottal was moved to Outer Sebilis because he's been revived as one of Venrils unliving Anscestor-Generals, the Domini of his new legion. Which personally insults me, having worked hard all my young life to have become a recognized Warlord of the Legion - a rank his new Domini conveniently discarded. The Warlords of old were every bit as famous and feared as the Emperors they served. Kurn Muchata still ruffles scales and raises hairs among those who've heard of him and his delight in the science of Torture. And among those in the know, the mere name of Warlord Chosooth Teraaz can still inspire awe.
  8. ARCHIVED-RoninSenshi Guest

You know, I have always wondered who this guy was, not sure if you are playing anymore, but if you are thanks for the info.
  9. ARCHIVED-Rainy Guest

here's the actual post from Vhalen about Vekin:

I see that a few of you are curious about the mighty ruler of the last iksar empire, sometimes referred to as the Cabilisian Empire. This great warlord was none other than Emperor Vekin, an iksar that was both feared and revered. His tale may be discovered soon enough, but for those that cannot wait, here is a bit of lore.

Who is he?
    VH: Emperor Vekin was the first ruler of the Cabilisian Empire. He resurrected the iksar nation after the End Days.
    What caste does he belong to?
    VH: Emperor Vekin was a born warrior. He used his superior martial skills to unite the small bands of iksar that were scattered around Kunark during the Age of Turmoil.
    Where did he come from?
    VH: He hailed from a warrior tribe. It is rumored that this tribe descended from the elite soldiers of the Army of Ik. The particular military unit that his tribe spawned from was said to be very sadistic and they were known for gruesome acts of torture.
    Was he the one to retake Cabilis and found New Sebilis, or has the new Empire had more than one Emperor so far?
    VH: Cabilis, a former iksar city, was captured by Emperor Vekin's legion and declared the capital of the Cabilisian Empire. He resided within Vekin Palace, a grand structure within Cabilis. This palace was like no other. Inside one could not only find the opulent chambers of the Emperor, but also a vast underground dungeon. Vekin enjoyed the art of torture and made it a part of his everyday life.
    Is he at all connected to the Sathir line, of which the last one we knew was Chottal?
    VH: Vekin has no Sathir blood flowing in his veins.
    What is his attitude towards the world outside Cabilis, and what are his plans for Kunark?
    VH: Emperor Vekin wanted the iksar to return to glory. Building his legions and claiming Cabilis were his first big steps. What came after that has yet to be discovered.
    How does he regard Venril Sathir?
    VH: Emperor Vekin does not look favorably upon the resurrected Venril Sathir. He and many other iksar saw Venril's return as a threat to the rise of a new empire. The new armies being formed by Venril were not merely iksar soldiers, but also of a supernatural and often undead nature. The Cabilisian Empire and Venril Sathir would be destined to come in direct conflict. What came after that conflict cannot be known until you set foot upon the rediscovered continent of Kunark in the Age of Destiny.

So yeah, the crypt of agony is probably NOT a place of reverance, but imprisonment or punishment. ( I beleive punishment) for those that dared stand against Venril when he was ressurected.
  10. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Yeah, I doubt they called it the Crypt of Agony to play up the irony. Those people's bodies (and spirits with it) were probably moved there when they died.
  11. ARCHIVED-Meirril Guest

Cusashorn wrote:
    Well, Veniril went around and rezed every family member he could find. Being a necromancer he's probably worried about a new enemy trying to dig up supporters amongst his old enemies.
  12. ARCHIVED-kelvmor Guest

Hrm. Vekin is still one of my favorite individuals from Iksar history.