Emergency Server Downtime May 14th, 2014 for Hotfix

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Luperza, May 14, 2014.

1. Martith New Member

I would like to add, sometimes it is harder to implement a fix than we assume due to the coding that is in place. Sometimes it is easier to set something aside when the 'fixes' could require a complete overhaul of the coding that is already in place. Sometimes it is easier to wait a little longer in hopes of a different fix to present itself. For anyone who has done any in-depth coding this is common knowledge. For those who have not done any real coding, perhaps you should show us how it is done perfectly the first time then apply for a job with SoE. Or any gaming company actually. Make the world its first complex game with no bugs, flaws, glitches or exploits.

What kind of compensation do you expect for 2 cents an hour? Not to mention the ELUA does state that they have the right to pull down the servers for maintenance at any time. People seem to always expect free days for several hours of server downtime, perhaps not yourself but too many others.

Let us not forget that the code used on the test server is different than live. Even if they did fix the patches/fixes on test extensively (which could take a very long time) a bug or two is still bound to come up when it is patched into the active servers.
  2. Feara Well-Known Member

I'm thinking they need more than one.

Unbelievable.
    Naramsin, Kittybock and Raff like this.
  3. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

There are a couple of simple steps to getting a bug fixed. Explain what it is in detail, then give a step-by-step way of making it happen. If it cannot be reproduced, then the coders can't fix it.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  4. Oberrill New Member

I agree with this. How would I join the test server?

Please disregard. I figured it out. Too bad I do no have enough room on my hd to use the test server. I did not think one would need another install of the game to use the test servers.
  5. Anjel Member

<3 this. Thanks for being witty. :)
  6. Alenna Well-Known Member

Test has a slightly different code then regular servers so yes you do need another install
  7. Sapryze Member

my respobse to that is, I dont PAY to test, I PAY to play ...
    Hushnoob likes this.
  8. suka Well-Known Member

you don't need more room i don't believe. just open launchpad, click on the little hammer and wrench button, then click on select game version. the downloading you see is not a new version but rather the updating of files for test- which is needed to run test. when you switch back to regular versions, you will see the same updating of files. i was really confused by all of it at first too.

if you are having room problems on your hard drive and can't really afford another one, there are a couple of options. first you can compress your files to save room.. this can take a long time but you will gain a large amount of space. it also helps to do regular maintenance and disk cleanup from the options when you open your computer folder and right-click on drive c.

another option would be to find used harddrive and make it a slave to the first one. a lot of people get rid of old hard drives because they upgraded and didn't want them. you might check around yard sales and second hand stores and any goodwill stores in your area.

if you can afford a larger one to make a slave though, i got my 1 tab ssd hybrid for only $135 at our local bestbuy. non-hybrids were only about $98. well worth it.
  9. suka Well-Known Member

from what i have seen over the last few days i would say getting it right is not really the problem. it is that so many people have so many different computers that some people's computers can't accept the fix as it is put out. Unfortunately, the devs seem to all use one type of computer instead of having a variety to experiment on. So when a problem happens, they often can't reproduce it on their own computers, which the fix was written for. this makes it not work on some computers and you would think by now they might realize that, but investing in several makes of computers including some older ones might not be a viable solution atm.
  10. suka Well-Known Member

i thought the test server was free? i read somewhere that it was and that some people liked playing there because of that. others just want to try out everything new before everyone else does and then you have that very low percentage that simply love troubleshooting and testing and helping make the game better. whatever the reasons for being on the test server, sometimes certain things like fixes can't be tested on it. that has to come from the devs testing and, as i stated earlier, that doesn't always work out as planned.
    Naramsin and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  11. Finora Well-Known Member

Test server is exactly like a regular server, except they (sometimes) get patches early to test the content in those patches.

The beta server opens up for bigger things usually, and people can copy over there to test things out before it's released.

However, to my knowledge all restrictions you have on your live account also are on the account on the Test and Beta servers. No free expansions or gold status for playing on test.
  12. Balkin Member

All changes to any program, and especially in games, can have unforeseen problems when pushed to live. This is hardly unique to SOE.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and suka like this.
  13. EvilHomer New Member

This really couldn't have waited until Tuesday? Really?

Just a few weeks ago, the stacking crit buff for the akeryans (or however you spell it) making their crit avoidance over 900% affected a heck of a lot more players, and their ability to do heroic zones (including dailies) and heritage quests. But that didn't get patched for nearly a week.

This update affects only a very small percentage of your player base and it's ZOMGFIXITNAO!!! o_O I'm sorry if I missed something here in regard to your priorities.........
  14. Nelie Well-Known Member

HMMM, lets think on this one a minute.....Monk's Heart weapon that you get that compares to t1 raid that you can still complete with a minor problem or fix the mobs that are broke drop the best loot in game right now? Yep, perfect problem comparison.
  15. EvilHomer New Member

As I said before, fix an issue that affects nearly every single player or wait nearly a week to fix it?
    Fix an issue that affects less than 10% of your playerbase for gear that 90% of the playerbase will never see? FIXITNAO!!!

Btw, it wasn't JUST the heritage quest that the stacked crit buffs were affecting, Einstein. It was every single player running multiple heroic zones (Halls of the Betrayer, Labs of Mutation, VD, etc). Nice try though.
  16. Nelie Well-Known Member

You missed my point though. Did that stacked buff stop people from completing the zone/quest? Nope...Did the bugs in ToV: Maw stop people from downing a mob that drops best gear in game? Yep

Your population argument is LOL. Yep, just because a small portion is high end raiders, let make them wait for an update that they cant work around. The double stack buff was a work around.
    suka likes this.
  17. suka Well-Known Member

why wait? what would procrastination gain anyone? did i miss a holiday festival or something that would have warranted waiting until Tuesday? i often tell my family members that eq - both one and two- don't run its stuff based on their schedules- including when those tiresome mobs we have to camp will pop.
  18. EvilHomer New Member

Actually, yes it did. I know of dozens of friends and acquaintences in the game that aren't god-like raiders in their best-gear-money-can-buy armor, who are just in content-appropriate Arcane gear, who could not complete the instances when the crit buff was f'ed up. Not only did they not have their raider one-shot-heroic-mobs DPS, but they did not have the time or the inclination to spend 30 minutes fighting one single mob just to kill it and move on to the 99 more like it in order to finish the zone. Some work around, I'll be sure to pass that on to them the next time it happens. "Just suck it up and spend half your day in that messed up zone inching toward the boss so you can get your 5 etyma! It's cool, because you're not worthy."

MY point is that sometimes SoE's priorities seem screwed up when it comes to when things will get patch-fixed and when they will wait until regularly scheduled downtime. YOUR pretentious "Raiders need insta-fixes because we want moar betterer gearz" is LOL. Wait until Tuesday then go back in and kill it. You raiders always scream like stuck pigs anyway that "there's nothing to doooooo! I'm soooooo bored!" because you blow through content in a week. Maybe it would do you/those people good to take some time off.
  19. Andesite Member

I've seen plenty of heroic/solo only players make threads complaining about not having enough content as well.
  20. Nelie Well-Known Member

Ok so now it is because a very very very low percent of casuals that cant do it because you blame gear now, I see. Not sure how I did it with my cryptic geared necro and non-gem'd cryptic bruiser. However you still fail to see the point. People were still able to complete because they put the time and effort into it, furthermore it was POSSIBLE TO COMPLETE. Now lets see about the Maw raid zone, even with skill, they are going to fix exploits (just like they did with the DM exploits and exchange merchant token exploit in ToV) and fix mobs that are un-killable.