Dusting off the Necro

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Stammel Desperado, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Stammel Desperado Active Member

Hello everyone! It's been a while since I've posted here, so I'm taking the time to do so now.

I've played a wide variety of classes out there, and I've always like the Necromancer the best, and I retired from playing him a few years ago, due to family issues, and now that I'm back, and at 110, I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on an AA line that is good for soloing and grouping. I don't plan to raid, unless it's truly needed. Also, if someone could help me out with pointers on a rotation for spells, I would greatly appreciate it.

P.S. My Necro is a sage, and I'm in the midst of making all of my spells Expert or higher. I've gotten a few as Grandmaster as well, and I'm able to make Celestials. I would greatly appreciate the help.
    Soara2 likes this.
  2. Bhayar Well-Known Member

You don't indicate what you've done since coming back or how long you have been back, or gone, so it's difficult to know where to start. If some advice is redundant, then that can't be helped. First of all, if you've been gone longer than 3 years, keep reading. A lot has changed, and I do mean a lot--so it's about more than just AA specs. First, read Roxxy's (Community Manager) post that gives a nice overview in the EQ2 forums. You'll get a perspective on all that's changed. You can train your mount and mercs, introduction of Ascension spells--ignore those at your peril. Your Epic 2.0 pet spells, for a necro are MUST HAVE and should be raised to as high as you can get them as soon as you're eligible to do so. Getting the planar fragments to raise those are a whole 'nother story. I have a necro that I like playing, although he is not my main, and that reaper pet is awesome. Also, if you haven't done two past summer events: The Travels of Zun Yi and the New Travels of Zun Yi, start there. Wiki has a great write up on them. They're easy to do and the rewards (especially the cyan adorns) are excellent.

SPECS: AA specs can be problematic if you're not paying attention to whose spec you're looking at and understanding the limitations inherent in that. It used to be popular to grab a high level raider's spec and adopt it. That works well if you're already raiding; it doesn't work all that well if you're a returning player that's been gone for years. AA specs are heavily influenced by the level of the player's gear and where they are at in game currently. There are raiding guilds and there are active guilds who don't raid. I use EQ2U heavily; it's a great resource for finding guilds and players that fit my criteria when I'm researching other player's specs and getting a feel for "is this person's equipment, gear, and spell level about where I'm at?" I look, not just at level, but their status as well. I want an active player's spec, so I look at how much status they have. Status tells me how active a player is/or was on that toon, and their gear tells me where they're actually playing or not--or they have a great main that's giving them equipment. It's not foolproof, but if helps to filter possible specs I want to see.
    Looking at different specs for similar players gives me a very good idea of what they are focusing on and how they have their toon set up.
    Be aware that players seldom have one spec and the tabs under AA spec can give you some insight into their thinking. I've used some AA specs as is, and others I have tweaked to fit my gearing, etc. For a reference, you can look at my necro's spec: Nekkrocis as a comparison. I don't raid on him and I group occasionally as the need arises. His might be a good starting point. By contrast, Darksavan is a raider and and I have a lot of respect for his skill. There are others I could name, but some have their specs hidden, so they're not available.

CASTING ORDER: used to be some casting order guides around and I'd search for them. Look at the fundamentals and then adapt them to your play style. As a disease casting class, Thaumaturge was a "natural" choice for my toon. I'd suspect others feel the same way. Others may have chosen something else.

Most of all, have fun. Necros are a fun class to play. I love their versatility.
    Soara2 likes this.
  3. Stammel Desperado Active Member

Thank you. I've only been gone about a year. Most of the stuff I've read coming back. I have an OLD raider AA spec, and it seems to work for a bit, but I just need a better casting order. I'll look into one. I do thank you!
    Soara2 likes this.