Dungeon Finder?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by David396, Mar 16, 2023.

1. David396 New Member

Is there a dungeon finder in the game, and If so do people use it? Does it scale you down?
    Cassta likes this.
  2. Benj Well-Known Member

There is a dungeon finder, but almost nobody uses it. There are some "level agnostic" dungeons that anybody can participate in, but beyond that, it doesn't affect your level.
    Cassta likes this.
  3. David396 New Member

Thank you for the response. So do people usually only use chat to find groups?
    Cassta likes this.
  4. Dude Well-Known Member

Your best bet is to join an active guild. Pick up groups are few and far between.
    Cassta likes this.
  5. FuRiouSOne Well-Known Member

We try to use chat but it can take hours to form/fill a group most times :(
  6. Tridav Member

I wish they could make this. Have it filter with resolve, cross server.leader can choose how to fill the group
  7. gambitak Well-Known Member

This is a long post, but I encourage you to read it; I consider myself a new player, the highest character I have is 94, and, although the EQ2 account is 3 years old, I have not played that much.

I think you may not be understanding the current state of the game.

The absolute best bet is to find an ACTIVE guild, with a lot of players.

I'm in two guilds with almost no players and none that are low-level. I consider myself a fairly loyal person and haven't left either guild (it was a guild split, I have 1 character in one and another in the 2nd guild). I wouldn't even know which guild on a given server has a larger player base, since the guild search window is almost useless; neither do I know how to find out which guild has a lot of newer or lower-level characters, outside of the forums.

I've played for about 3 years and have not found a single group. I'm not max level (highest is 94) and for the first 2 years I actively asked to join groups or for people to join mine; however, not a single person did so and I never found a group.

I was told the following:
    1. From 1 - 120+ you'll be pretty much solo
    2. From 1 - 120+ you'll not know your character; everything you learn between those levels will be useless if you intend to raid or do high-end content and you will have to re-learn your class after leveling 120
    3. Run agnostics; I did this and regret it - you get gear that is way overpowered and invalidates any quests you may be running since the gear you receive as quest rewards is tremendously underpowered compared to agnostic rewards
    This game is extremely top heavy and the end development seems to focus on raiding and/or daily quests. Outside of that, there are no PUGs, dungeon run groups or anything else that would indicate that this is a social MMO. My GF loves the game and has hit 120+, solo, and completed many trade skill signature quests.

My advice for people who offer to "mentor down" is not to accept that offer. When a 120+ character mentors down, they become an all-powerful god. The character who mentors down can face-roll through any content because their gear does not adjust accordingly; their stats may adjust correctly, but everything else is as if they were still whatever higher level they are. I've accepted an offer twice, at two different levels, to see if it made a difference (it did not), and regretted it. I couldn't loot fast enough to keep up with them.

If you think about leveling using a token, I would strongly advise against it. I did a level 110 character boost and had absolutely no clue about how to play that character. I ended up deleting it because it was never used and took a character slot. This game is complicated. I can't think of a comparison to something ridiculous because it is that ridiculously complicated. I've asked questions on the forum that nobody really knew or had to guess; I've not found a lot of answers by asking in guild or in [General].

I also found out that several dungeons have gateways, or entry quests. IF you would like to solo dungeons (or molo as the case may be), I would suggest going to the wiki for the Dungeon Timeline. It lists the dungeons according to level, and, I can tell you that if you are using a merc that you will not have a problem, at all, with completing any dungeon. It's almost trivial and certainly does not present a challenge, at level-appropriate dungeons, at least.

It takes an act of supreme will not to take advantage of all the shortcuts, cheats and/or using Pay-to-Win (P2W) items to advance your character. If you use ANY of them (such as experience potions, et al.), you will miss major portions of the game. The game experience gain is structured to take a level 1 character to level 120+ as fast as possible. This means that you will out level quest content; sadly, I found out that I needed to set the AA experience to 75% for that to be false. Which brings up the fact that there are ways to slow down your leveling, but they're artificial and no new player could be expected to ever know these settings.

You will most likely end up spending real money for in-game items. Since this game is almost 20 years old and top heavy, most everybody has millions, if not billions, of platinum. Also, not too long ago, many a**hats found an exploit, or several, to duplicate platinum and ruined the economy. What this means for new players is that the much needed spell upgrades to Expert or Master are ridiculously expensive, on average. I tried selling shinies on the broker, but barely made enough to keep up with the Adept-level spells/abilities. I ended up buying and selling 2 Krono pieces (1-1/2 years apart) and splitting with my GF so that she could buy her spell upgrades or materials to make the rare spell upgrades (she likes doing trade skills).

Trade skill system: You either love it or hate it. I hate it. I had players tell me that it is a "game-within-the-game"; that's an apt description, except it doesn't take skill and it requires 100% attention/focus and that RNG can completely destroy what you're trying to do.

Let me explain, at least in my experience: You have keys 1 through 3 that will speed up your trade skill combines. Keys 4 through 6 are directly tied to the previous keys (1 to 4, 2 to 5, 3 to 6); pressing either one will trigger the other. This is important because errors are randomly introduced. These errors are countered by the keys 4-6, which means that if you push 1-3 and an error comes up on a key you've just pushed, you will not be able to counteract the error by pushing the greyed out key on numbers 4-6! If you choose to not push keys 1-3 you will still need to pay attention to the random errors (random in time and effect, meaning that you could get an error that requires you to push key #4 and immediately receive another error that requires key #4).

Yeah, I hate trade skills.

Also, by the way, if nobody has told you: You will need to level your mercenary, mount and familiar to experience the latest expac content. That bears repeating: You must absolutely level your mercenary, mount AND familiar to not die from one hit by the latest level monsters. Here's the kicker: there is absolutely no place that will walk you through how to do that - not official DBG documentation or the user-created wiki. You have to either ask in the forums and get lucky that somebody answers you without just linking to the wiki or ask in your guild and hope somebody there knows.

I just read this post to my GF and, although she laughed, she thought it was accurate.