Dual-Wield vs 1 hand sword & Shield ... Preference?

Discussion in 'Berserker' started by ARCHIVED-Kiddycop, Jan 29, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-Toxaur Guest

if you are losing aggro, as a berzerker, with a 1-hander, then something is seriously wrong. Your 1-handed weapon probably sucks.

what level are you? can't suggest a weapon if i dont know what level.
  2. ARCHIVED-eqaddixx Guest

Well i did mention that a Treebane is blue to me, but I am 43, sorry. I have a very decent 1-hander and I never have any problems with aggro except when i use 1h and shield.
  3. ARCHIVED-Toxaur Guest

i never have problems maintaining aggro, and i only taunt once per fight usually. And using a 1-hander + shield.

Swine Fiend Battle Axe is a very good 1-hand weapon, and just orange at 43. I don't know about 2-handers at that level.
  4. ARCHIVED-VonSteinan Guest

Question...

Has anyone parsed out Parrying and Riposte on dual weps???

Do they get some bonus???
  5. ARCHIVED-Toxaur Guest

no but i seriously doubt it.
  6. ARCHIVED-Wolfherz Guest

The stated intent during beta was that no weapons style has an adventage when it comes to Parry and Riposte and the likes. I think the same holds true for procs. Now I am not sure how well this is implemented tho.
  7. ARCHIVED-VonSteinan Guest

I was just wondering because I have a high agil Zerker... and when I dual I seem (anecdotaly) to parry more....

Now... based on the fact that you get less enemy Ripostes against you when using a 2Hand wep...
    and the sheilds give you a "block" not mitigation....

It would seem you should be able to parry more with 2 weapons.... just like in real life...

Just have no idea if this is actualy implemented or not.... was wondering if anyone had ever parsed it....
  8. ARCHIVED-Toxaur Guest

the shield factor is also defense... so a 455 shield factor = a huge defense bonus. extremely noticeable.
  9. ARCHIVED-VonSteinan Guest

Just ta let ya know....
    21 zerker
    21 Guard
    22 Bruiser
    22 SK
    22 Inquisitor.....

Sheilds do NOT add to mitigation, as stated by Moorgard.... but do give a "block".... which they factored into AC.... just as the rest of the defense factors are now....
    I was just wondering if anyone had parsed Parry block rates between 2Hand, Dual, and Sword and Board....
  10. ARCHIVED-Toxaur Guest

never said mitigation

said defense

equip a shield and watch your defense jump up

and that defense increase is extremely noticeable in how well i tank.
  11. ARCHIVED-VonSteinan Guest

Ok.... what "defense"??? Defense skill??? its NOT affected by a shield...
    My understanding of shield is that it uses your shield abils (kite and such) and type of shield to create "blocks"...
    It also artifically adds some number to your ac stat.... but this number is deceptive at best.... as it has nothing to do with mitigation..... but adds another type of avoidance.

Problem here, is that this "number" that is added to AC has nothing to do with reality, its some approximation of how much damage a shield is going to allow you to avoid....
    Hmmm... may try this.... take my shield off my guardian, and parse the damage... then add the shield back and take off armor of approx. the same AC number.... see which is more effective
    at protecting me.... bet its the shield...
  12. ARCHIVED-Toxaur Guest

not defense skill. i said nothing of skill.

AC = defense

i said i noticed a huge difference in tanking ability with the shield, and it's definitely not from blocking.

maybe it's not as big a difference on guardians, but then again, i said nothing about guardians. I am a berzerker, this is the berzerker board, and it makes a huge difference in tanking when i use a shield. and i don't even block as often as they miss or parry. their missing is also based on your total DEF anyways as i understand it. As well as damage reduction.
  13. ARCHIVED-VonSteinan Guest

I see... so your premise is that Guards are different from Zerks in the basics of the game...

and althouth we have played other classes, we should not bring what we see form them into this Zerker board.....

You need to get your verbage correct..... shields give you the abil to block..... without it you can't....

Defense is a SKILL!!!! listed on your skilll window....

Shields give you an Add to AC, which has nothing to do with armor..... but with the ability to block... ie....avooidance....

My origional question was....do multiple weps add to your ability to parry....
  14. ARCHIVED-Toxaur Guest

as you see in the persona window, it is defense, not AC
  15. ARCHIVED-Styker Guest

once again you are wrong , its AC not defence
  16. ARCHIVED-Toxaur Guest

my bad, it used to say def before patch. but there's no need to be rude about it.
    Message Edited by Toxaur on 02-05-2005 09:51 AM
  17. ARCHIVED-Ishnar Guest

shields do not give the ability to block; besides, block would mean mitigate in game mechanics. There is no new ability that you need a shield for. Armor blocks incomming hits. Shield ratings are added to your characters avoidance, not mitigation. according to moorgard, but both increase your AC.
    The new AC rating is supposed to combine mitigation and avoidance. Whether it is accurate or not is a matter of some debate.
    ishnar
  18. ARCHIVED-Styker Guest

Ishnar Von is correct shields do give the ability to block and yes its a different type of mitigation, that is why it is factored into the defense equation.... try and see if you can block without a shield :)
  19. ARCHIVED-pashtuk Guest

My 2cent 8)

I usualy carry 5-8 Weapons and a Tower shield with me, so Im able to switch whenever I want or I think its nessecary.

I use 1h+Shield if I have to tank one or more "hard" mobs, cause the tower shield I own atm adds me 455 AC.

AC is IMHO, no matter how its calculated I dont care about, the number that shows you how well you can tank. The higher AC you got, the better you can tank.

If there are no such mobs, I use DW or sometimes 2h for fun, thats mostly on blues and sometimes whites (even yellow or orange if I got a good setup), depends on the groupsetup.
    For me its always the situation that lets me choose what to use.

Greets
    Message Edited by pashtuk on 02-07-2005 04:06 AM
  20. ARCHIVED-eqaddixx Guest

I am at work right now and I don't spend too much time in the skills window while in game but I do recall NOT seeing a skill for block. I have also watched the text box while using a shield and see nothing that indicates that I blocked a hit. I see ripostes, dodges, and parrys though. I have used a shield with my wife as the healer to try and find this huge difference in healing damage while using a shield and she doesn't notice anything but the MOB staying alive for a lot longer so she actually has to heal more.

Does anyone have any hard data to prove you take less damage with a shield equipped? Logic would say that you would take less damage but I truly don't see a difference.