Dual-Wield vs 1 hand sword & Shield ... Preference?

Discussion in 'Berserker' started by ARCHIVED-Kiddycop, Jan 29, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-Kiddycop Guest

Looking for some advice on which to use.

I'm a lvl 24 bezerker.

1220 Health
    817 Power
    1176 AC
    86 STR
    54 AGI
    51 STA

Currently, I'm dual wielding two Giant Pick-Axes:

Giant Pick-Axe X2
    +2 AGI, +7 STR, +15 Health, +17 Power
    8-25 Damage, 1.5 sec. delay

I've just finished the Sword of Thunder Quest.

Sword of Thunder
    +2 INT, +2 AGI, +5 STR, +4 WIS, +15 Health, +25 Power
    16-49 damage, 1.7 sec. delay
    Thunderstrike

Which do you prefer? The dual-wield or the Sword of Thunder and a good shield? Does losing 9 strength matter? I've never used a shield. Does using one help enough to offset the dps of dual wielding?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time!

Muradin
    24 Bezerker
    Kithicor
  2. ARCHIVED-Darkdog Guest

Would have loved to have this sword as a younger zerker. I am a 2hd guy, less riposte and seems blood rage procs more often with a 2hder.
  3. ARCHIVED-Cozumel Guest

Personally, I've NEVER seen my shield do squat as a zerker, so even as the MT, I use either my DW's or my bad-**** 2hander...

Looking at the stats on those weapons, the DPS looks "similar" (speed vs. damage), however the stat bufs you get from wielding bother DW's is better, by FAR... 4 agi and 14 str versus 2agi 5str.

Stick with the DW's (and/or use a parse and see for yourself)-- I think you'll see you take less damage with the higher AGI and probably do more damage with the extra strength.

-- Cozumel
  4. ARCHIVED-Tychus Guest

Giant Pick Ax: ((8+25)/2)/1.5 = 11 DPS Dual wielding gives you 22 DPS
    Sword of Thunder: ((16+49)/2)/1.7 = 19.1 DPS

In your case, use the Sword of Thunder, probably even if you're not the main tank. It's a very good weapon. Get a tower shield to boost your AC by another 240 or so, and make up the difference in stat buffs.

My anecdotal evidence on the effectiveness of shields... Several weeks ago, at level 23 or 24 I was working on the Lightstone quest, killing a bunch of named orcs. One of them was a general, level 20^^ group encounter (green to me), which I attempted to solo. In two attempts wielding my Steel Maul (2 hander) I reduced him to a sliver of life, but he killed me. I tried again with a one hander + shield and beat him with a comfortable cushion of HP remaining.

Still, I normally use a 2-hander, except against very tough opponents.
  5. ARCHIVED-Tooth Guest

I switch back and forth from using shield and duelwielding.

I would say 90% of the time I duel wield Yak and PGT(love the power proc).

The other 10% I use a shield - Usually only for boss mob encounters or if my group is overloaded with DPS and short on healing.
  6. ARCHIVED-Diaboliq Guest

I won't DW as MT, only when I can fight from flank/rear. As MT its either my SBH or 1h/shield depending on the mobs.. possibly at yellow, definitely if over, I get out the shield, things go much more smoothly. In RE it can be the difference between needing a 2nd healer or not.
  7. ARCHIVED-CherobylJoe Guest

You'd be crazy to not use a sword/shield while MT as you get into your mid-late 20s. There is a dramatic difference when tanking 2up arrow group mobs.
  8. ARCHIVED-Diaboliq Guest

Being the berserker forum... 'crazy' might not hold the contrast you were striving for there. ;)
  9. ARCHIVED-CherobylJoe Guest

mwahaha so true! we are all a little "crazy" here :smileyvery-happy:
  10. ARCHIVED-pen'cillian Guest

I am mid 20s (24) and in my group of 3 (meself, SK, and Inq) I always dual wield and am the MT. So far in Nek forest we have had lil problems. Granted we are slow and cautious, soly cause they don't let me charge in. But I dual wield and don't even own a shield and hold agro the entire time. Even when we drag our wizard with us. I don't look at damage so can't tell you what my dps is. My job as MT is to hold agro so that is what I do. Preference goes to what you like. Maybe I am not the best person to post as I can't give stats as I play as a RPr. So it is my preferce to dual wield.
  11. ARCHIVED-PacOto Guest

Why choose one over the other?
    Carry multiple weapon: 1 2h and 2 DW for DPS and 1h and shield for being a MT.
    When I'm grouped with an tank that has better AC than I, I normally go DPS mode. If I'm with a chanter, I use different set of power (no AE) or without one. When I have the most AC in the group, often teh case even with same lvl guardian, I go 1H and Shield.

Greatest strength of being a zerker is diversity and being able to adapt to the make up of your group.
  12. ARCHIVED-Davish_Darkwolf Guest

The beauty of the Berserker is its versatility, i use 1handed and shield when MT (casters will thank ya), 2h when not tanking and switch between both when im soloing.

Dual Wield are nice, but 2h is my personal choice when im not using a shield (believe me, there isnt that much difference between the two).
  13. ARCHIVED-Kiddycop Guest

Thanks for the info, all!
    Message Edited by Kiddycop on 02-01-2005 05:35 PM
  14. ARCHIVED-Jyster' Guest

i prefer to use dual wield. could't kill green^^ with 2h but can kill them no trouble with a dual wield.
    lvl 20 beserker at the mo
  15. ARCHIVED-Renzai Guest

I find that DW has a slightly better damage output than 2handers, but I guess it's all relative to the type of weapons you use.
  16. ARCHIVED-Toxaur Guest

i used to say "2-handed is the best no matter what" til i realized recently how much a shield DRASTICALLY improves tanking ability. And, with a good 1-hander, i do about 90% of the damage i do with a 2-hander.... WELL worth the 10% less damage to tank like 75% better.

It is so good, in fact, that i am level 34, and i have pre-bought 1-handed weapons for up to level 48. And i am looking to see which shields are best, to pre-buy those for up to level 48-50.
  17. ARCHIVED-Super Du Guest

Is there any doubt that a better weapon produces better dps?
    didn't think so... then why do you compare dps from a good weapon to dps with a crappy one?

That's like saying i tank better in medium tier 5 armor then heavy tier 1.
    There for I shell only wear medium armor.

You go buddy ;) have your funs.

Message Edited by Super Du on 02-03-2005 07:57 AM
  18. ARCHIVED-Thinman Guest

I prefer dual wield or 2h weapon. I'm a berserker, not a guardian wanna-be.

I'll take the more ripostes from DW, that just means I'll go berserk more.
  19. ARCHIVED-Toxaur Guest

But you will tank far better with a shield and get about 90% of normal DPS with a 1-hander. dont know about you, but i tank 99% of the time.
  20. ARCHIVED-eqaddixx Guest

I prefer 2h weapons as a zerker, which reminds me, my Treebane is blue to me so could anyone suggest a decent upgrade?

Anyways, when I use a 1h and shield my aggro sux ****. I have trouble holding aggro due to my decreased damage, when this happens a healer ends up healing another party member or themselves, personally in a single group situation the difference in damage taken vs the aggro loss isn't worth it. But that is just in my experience.