Dual Box Healer?

Discussion in 'Berserker' started by ARCHIVED-Gillous, Jun 22, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-Gillous Guest

I'm soon going to have access to a 2nd computer that can (sort of) run EQ2! Won't really be pretty, but I think I can use it to run a healer box on. My main is a Berserker, only level 14 right now.

So question, what healer class would be a good combo to dual-box with? I like the Defiler and Inquisitor the most over Fury/Warden, so I'm mostly trying to decide between these two. I like the Plate armor on the Inquisitor, would look sweet on a Ratonga I think, but the Defiler's wards sound like they will work more effectively for a duo and will be easier to manage while playing the Zerker. Also, that purple mist form for Defilers is bad [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn].

Major bonus if the healer is easy enough that I could use the dual-box set up to start groups and still be able to heal and tank effectively (tho I know doing both very well will require a lot of practice), but I'm not looking for an easy way to 70, just want to have a bit more fun tanking solo basically.

Thanks for any input.
  2. ARCHIVED-Stath Guest

the problem with 2boxing a defiler is that they require alot of concentration to play due to having to debuff the mobs all the time. it can be done tho. i 2box a defiler and brigand and it works really well. When im not using the brig/defiler i use zerker and warden and it works really well too.
  3. ARCHIVED-TheBohbo Guest

Nice thing about 2 boxing and inquisitor at higher levels you won't have to worry about mana at all. I partnered with an inquisitor 1-60 and boxed a fury 60-70 + my inquisitor friend and others to make up the full group if we wanted. Inquisitors are amazing and the mana proc is unquestionable one of their best traits.
  4. ARCHIVED-Lexani- Guest

I have a defiler and i wouldnt change him out for anything its a perfect duo. The thing about the debuffs is silly you get 33% debuff to attack speed with just a dmg sheild. Spiritual circle is sick. The aa line gets you basically more free warding. Zerker and defiler team is perfect.
  5. ARCHIVED-Oldlore Guest

I dual box a zerker and a warden and it works out fairly well. I can handle up to yellow heroics and sometimes named, depending on what they can do. Wardens do a good job healing since most heals have HoT componenets and aren't hard to box. They also have decent healer dps for dropping stuff faster which can save time. Of course other healers may be better but I don't have as much experience with them. I sometimes miss a fury's offensive buffs but oh well...
  6. ARCHIVED-Besual Guest

My main is a defiler and sometimes dual box with my pockettank (halfling berserker). It works quite well.

One thing you might to consider too: defilers wear chain armor. If a nice piece of plate armor drops you can put it on your beserker, if chain armor drops you can give it to the defiler. I know, inqui can wear chain too and I know that SOE added plate armor designed for healers. It's up to you to decide if this is important or not.
  7. ARCHIVED-Gillous Guest

Furys seem nice, but there are a lot of them. That's not a good reason not to play one, but it's enough to slide it out of the running and put Warden ahead. I hear Warden's HoTs are good, but how is mana efficiency compared to a Defiler or Inquisitor? Which class can handle spike damage better? I know it's not as big a problem on a Mit tank, but I've been told wardens don't have a single good DH like BitF or anything. The reactives seem a little more apt to handle spikes, and I assume as more of the stereotypical "Cleric" the defiler/inq both have better DH than the "Druid" healer?

Ok, I'm asking way too many questions. I've got a Ratonga Inquisitor and Half-Elf Defiler that I am leveling. Both are off the island now, but neither has started to stand out over the other. The chain/plate is a good point that I hadn't thought of, but I can't say it makes the decision much easier. haha

For dual-boxing, things like the Inq's DPS buffs seem nice. The defiler's debuffs may be better, but I am able to see how keeping them up and tanking could give me carpel tunnel real quick. Seems like buffs are def better than debuffs for boxing.

I dunno... I think I like the Defiler a little more, but for running with my Zerker I may be leaning towards the Inquisitor... Again, I also think that the plate looks sweet on a rat.

Thanks for the help. It seems a bit easier to get flame-free answers about classes (eg. healers, tanks, scouts) on boards other than the ones belonging to them.
  8. ARCHIVED-Malicorp Guest

Have a 70 Warden and a 57 Defiler on a PvE server, but I think I can address your questions at least party. As far as mana-efficiency, Wardens are amongst the best, if not the best, at HP per mana used on their heals. Further, next to Furies, they have one of the fastest casting spell sets around. However, they have a low ability to respond to spike damage, becuase they do not have an enormous direct heal (largest is like 950 + ticks) at 70. This means that although you can get some healing on a tank faster than anyone but the Fury (assuming you are jumped and had nothing up prior to attack), the heals take time to reach their maximum effect.
    Defiler casts are much longer, but also the biggest DHs in the game. Also, they are extremely mana-efficient given that part of their heal costs comes at the expense of personal health which is replenished quickly via the Countenance line (self in-combat health regen). Further, at higher levels (46 I think), they get an insta cast group ward and single target ward that requiore no mana and are not attached to the normal ward lines. These are 15min recast spells, however. If both of these spells are up upon being jumped, they allow sufficient time to land your larger, but longer cast group ward and single target ward. At this point, you can heal damage, debuff, fear and DoT your opponent into submission. Frankly, the inst-casts are almost over-powering from a PvP perspective.
    To this end, I'd likely choose a defiler. Although your direct damage is not as nice, DoTs are deceptive. A lot of EQ2 PvP is chasing and DoTs are a great way to erode health as you chase. Further, wards are incredible demoralizing (as mentioned earlier) to an opponent.
  9. ARCHIVED-Gillous Guest

One more question, sorry.

How much aggro is gained through the Defier's debuffs and wards vs the Inquisitors reactives? I was thinking, the inquisitors buffs would helf the Berserker hold aggro even better, while the defiler's debuffs would actually help the tank to possiblly lose aggro. Is this a valid line of thought?
  10. ARCHIVED-Khalad Guest

There is no bad healer combo, but I like Inq or shaman over the rest.

No debuffs will affect your agro. Inq DPS mod will help it though
  11. ARCHIVED-DarkMirrax Guest

INQ + Zerk .. DPS Buff + Retractives = easy time