Drowning In Harvested Materials

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Glinda, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Glinda New Member

Why even have a harvesting system, given the auction-house is absolutely flooded with thousands and thousands of most every harvested material. Most of those harvested materials are being sold for 2 copper each. Where is the incentive for someone to go and harvest items anymore? This is also hurting the crafter as anyone can just dump a bunch of crafted items onto the market with no effort on their part. Everyone pretty much has the exact same recipes, the crafting in the game has become extremely dull and the in-game economy is in shambles.
  2. Thand Well-Known Member

For a while now the only Rare Trades skill stuff and Adorning have been any sort of money makers
    suka likes this.
  3. Mermut Well-Known Member

Regular crafted non-consumable items have never been good money makers.
    It has also always been easy to go out and get your own regular materials yourself if you wanted to, it just took time.
    Additionally, there ARE some regular materials that do sell well. Food and pelts just aren't among them.. because so few recipes use them.
    suka likes this.
  4. voodedoo Member

rare harvest sell well, just hard to get enough of them to make alot of plat
    suka likes this.
  5. Milliebii Well-Known Member

It would be nice if NPC's like "Fishmonger Usharaz" on the Butcherblock docks actually purchased "fish".
    Even if it was only a few silver for a stack of 200 "plump haddock".
  6. Deveryn Well-Known Member

Maybe the next 5 levels of provisioner recipes will be all fish-based. :)
    Afista, Feldon and suka like this.
  7. Finora Well-Known Member

Common harvests are just that, common. They aren't there to make you money. The only time they DID make money was very early in the game when people hadn't fully figured out what they were doing yet and how to go about it and the occasions where a specific item (usually roots) was used in dang near everything so we never seemed to have enough or items that were harder to get to than others (indium, berylium and nacre come to mind back before we had more t6 zones as well as certain t7 & t8 materials). Otherwise the money has never really been in common raw materials, it's always been about rares & products.

It's true anyone can dump a bunch of handcrafted gear on the market if they want without having to go harvest anything...but that doesn't mean they are going to actually be able to sell it. Not too many folks are interested in buying handcrafted. Those that do aren't going to be willing to pay much for it because handcrafted gear for the most part is worth only slightly more than the fuel costs. Better than being naked but not really worth a lot either.

I'm really not sure what you mean about 'crafting has become dull'. The actual crafting really hasn't changed much in the past 10 years. The economy isn't in shambles, it just doesn't revolve around crafted items. The majority of players are at or near 95 and there is very little crafted that is worthwhile at 95. Crafters periodically get an influx of desired items, usually on the apprentices these days but we do get them. I imagine the same will be happening when the next expansion rolls around.
    suka likes this.
  8. suka Well-Known Member

umm- who harvests anymore- oh wait- the lower level people without ponies and not much money.

on a more serious note- no one i know buys anything other than rares and then only if they run out in the middle of making armor and don't want to stop to go harvest more. personally, I have at least 10 ponies and the harvest goblins as well so i am literally drowning in harvests- so much so that i seldom check my ponies anymore except to harvest the holiday stuff and even then i have tons now. didn't take long to fill up several small boxes and a few large ones as well.

there are only 3 reasons i still harvest:
    1. rares
    2. to level harvesting skills,
    3 to do the pony quest on more alts - mainly because it gives a nice amount of status near the end so it benefits my guild.

Personally i love crafting. i don't find it dull at all. there are missions, hidden recipes in various zones, tons of quests to do and then all of the holidays. never a dull moment for the dedicated crafter- and there is even an epic that gives an earring that lets me see red shinies. awesome.

personally, although i might see where all of the harvest items being cheap on the market might hurt someone who is looking to make a profit off them, I found that most items i needed when i was skilling up were available in my guild hall. i never bought the items needed, but if i did decide to buy them, as a low level crafter i would have been thankful for the low prices.

if you think crafting is dull and the economy is in shambles, maybe you should just adventure and not deal with the broker. i for one see nothing here to complain about. there are plenty of problems in the game, but this isn't one of them.
    Livejazz, Moonpanther and Deveryn like this.
  9. Meirril Well-Known Member

And...what do you want? An apology? If your going to make a post like this ASK for something. Have a plan. An idea. Something that isn't just a vague complaint.

If you want to make money harvesting you sell rare harvests. Though that has got to be an undercutting festival. If your looking for plat there are easier ways to get it.

If your looking to sell crafted items then your going to have to do some work. Not the making items part. That doesn't take any real effort (especially after the introduction of Mass Production). What does take effort is researching what you can make, who wants that, and if anyone else is selling it on the broker. There are all sorts of nitch market items in the game. Anything that gets used for a quest is a good example of a nitch market. If your the only one producing it then you can make a good profit. As soon as two other people realize that it is a good market they will undercut it and ruin your profits. So you look for another nitch and you keep an eye on your old one.

It has never been easy to make a profit crafting, but every crafter *can*. Most crafters won't bother because it is hard and it requires a lot of time investment. That creates an opportunity for the few people that will. Are you one of those people?
  10. suka Well-Known Member

i so agree. If a thread is opened just to complain, it has a good chance of being shut down as non-constructive. and you also get a warning from the moderator that you are non-constructive. but really, i think the op has the wrong ideas about crafting. not sure what she expects.. crafting has been part of the game form the beginning and most people who have been here for a few years now has a ton of harvests. if harvests were so easy to get rid of using the market, most people would be on the bandwagon.

the only reason to buy harvests is if you are not out there harvesting yourself or if you are high enough in crafting to need harvests from an area you can't enter yet. it is good that common items are really cheap because if you are too low a level to go to the area with the harvests without being killed instantly, although most zones have some "safe" areas in them, then you probably don't have the plat to buy a bunch of harvests. however, most guilds have a harvest depot so if you join one that is into crafting you can pretty much find anything you want in them.

other than that, i don't understand her vague complaint about crafting being dull, everyone having the same recipes, etc. if every carpenter couldn't get all of the recipes in the game, if certain recipes were reserved for certain elite few, i promise you there would be a total revolt among the carpenters left out.

crafting is not about making money and if that is the only reason you are crafting, you are bound to be sorely disappointed. crafting is about:
    being self-sufficient
    being able to put decent armor and weapons on your lower toons without having to buy it or get a named to drop it.
    having stat food for your army and guild
    being able to decorate your house, guild hall, and possibly make money as a decorator- although i don't charge for that service. i don't mind giving a small chunk of my time away. and really, i wouldn't know what to charge but some people can make money that way

so really, if she entered crafting in a misguided notion that she could make money off harvests, crafting, etc , she will hoe some very long rows with nothing to show for it at the end. while it is true that items needed for quests are a good niche market, they won't make you thousands of plat. if you price your stuff too high, they will just go looking for people who can craft that might even do the combine for free if you have the mats.
    Livejazz likes this.
  11. Estal Well-Known Member

Drowning in harvested materials?

Funny enough on Splitpaw low level non rare roots always sell for several gold a piece because demand is way higher than supply...
    suka likes this.
  12. suka Well-Known Member

lol probably because not many people think to send the ponies to low levels
  13. Estal Well-Known Member

Nah, Pony / Goblin / Guild Amenity Harvesters return such a small quantity of resources compared to normal harvesting that they have close to zero impact on resource prices.

However roots are simply used in far more recipes than any other resource, even in t10 they usually cost 40 - 50 times as much as pelts / wood / stones / metal.
  14. suka Well-Known Member

if you were on my server and needed common harvests, i would gladly help you. we have tons of that stuff.

consider this - i have at east 10 goblins and at least that many ponies. I can send my ponies and goblins out about ever 2 to 4 hours. If i needed a particular resource, then they would all run out to get it (did that recently for some quest- don't remember which now) and within hours i would have way more of that stuff, including roots, than i need, I never bother to check the broker to see if the prices are high because i never buy the stuff,
  15. Meirril Well-Known Member

In our guild hall the only resource we run out of is Leaded Loam. New tinkerers go through a remarkably huge amount of the stuff, and hardly anybody wants to harvest T1.
  16. Acid Rain New Member

I like harvesting. v_v
  17. suka Well-Known Member

tell us the name of the guild and what server. i'm sure that if someone on your server is reading this and have extra they would be glad to make a deposit. just set your permissions so that anyone can deposit but only friends (guild members) can use. if you are on butcherblock i will be glad to send my ponies out for you
  18. Estal Well-Known Member

Just a current snap shot of non rare root pricing on splitpaw...

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

My point simply is: there is tons of plat to be made in harvesting.
  19. suka Well-Known Member

hmm, cheaper than butcherblock. if i ever decide to level a crafter on another server, i will need to find your server. but yeah, those "pennies" can add up if anyone is actually buying them, the question is, do they sell? is it worth taking up space in your sales crate? some of my higher end pelts once sold fairly decently when our guild depot got too full, but our excess fish turned out to be a waste of space.
  20. Mermut Well-Known Member

Food harvests aren't worth brokering.. and you need to watch the market. Some things sell really well for a bit, then bottom out. You need to shift around if you want to make cash selling harvests. Roots and low level loams usually sell well, but the metals and gems fluctuate.
    suka likes this.