Dropbox to sync copies?

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by PsiberDaemon, Aug 29, 2018.

1. PsiberDaemon Active Member

Ho. Norrath!
    I'm trying to find a way that I can have EQ2 installed on a shared folder so it is updated across multiple machines.
    NOTE: I am not asking about multi-boxing. What I am looking at is a way that I can install EQ2 on both my laptop and my desktop (both have the same resolution, etc) so that when I launch it on one any updates are "mirrored" to the other. I was thinking about using Dropbox, which I already use to have a single point for my log files (via the "mklink /j" command) ...
    I was looking into Dropbox since it's really a local folder. I use the full version, not the streaming client, so the files only update through the Launcher.
    Any thoughts?
  2. Beee Well-Known Member

EQ2/ACT works fine running from a big USB 3.0 stick. Only problem carrying it around are different resolutions of the Computers.
    PsiberDaemon likes this.
  3. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

You just copy over the settings files, which are in the format {Server}_{CharacterName}_eq2_uisettings.xml Those files have all your specific windows locations, resolution, etc.

If you're trying to avoid having to download via the Launchpad on both machines, I dunno how that would work with Dropbox. When I'm doing a new install, I use a thumbdrive and copy over the music and paks manually, then let the Launchpad do the rest (those are the humungeous files).
    Momo, PsiberDaemon and Rosyposy like this.
  4. Dude Well-Known Member

I haven't had to download the game for a while now. I just save the whole Daybreak Games folder on an external drive, copy that onto my new computer, and then just hit the .exe file on the new computer. It starts right up. Too easy.
  5. PsiberDaemon Active Member

Thanks for the help and insight guys! The USB stick is definitely something I hadn't thought of, since it's basically a local installation... As for the rest, I think Dropbox WILL work. If I use the Launchpad on one machine, it will update any game files that need to be updated. Those files will then be updated on Dropbox so when I run it from the other machine, the launchpad already has those files and won't need to download again. Plus, bonus, I've got access to EQ2 via "the Cloud" ... thanks again!
    Dude and Rosyposy like this.