Drop The Elitist Clique - Pick Up RP Instead.

Discussion in 'Roleplaying' started by GeekyGothy, Nov 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeekyGothy Active Member

I feel very strongly that this topic needed to be addressed. There are a certain 'veteran' players who I will be polite enough to leave unnamed who are doing unspeakable damage to the RP community on Antonia Bayle. It's been made quite clear over the past year that these folks hide away in their little private channels and voice chat bad-talking, blacklisting and spreading lies & smear propaganda against those players they just don't happen to like.

This in turn damages the EQII RP community more than most people would think. Lies are spread about a player, people stop RP'ing with that player for no good reason other than 'Miss Jane Doe Awesomepants' told them not to play with that 'silly' person. Then people stop RP'ing with people from that person's guild just because 'Miss Jane Doe Awesomepants' says the whole guild must be bad.

Now anyone who follows and listens to 'Miss Jane Doe Awesomepants' can get RP with that inner circle while other people are shunned out of it. Worst of all is that new RP'ers to AB get to see 'Miss Jane Doe Awesomepants' mistells to the RP channel degrading our fellow RP'ers in a public forum. It doesn't matter if it was a Mistell or not - It's only proof that 'Miss Jane Doe Awesomepants' degrades people in their little 'inner circle of elitist jerks'.

STOP listening to people who tell you what to think, what to feel and what to do. To take a quote from the greatest speech of all time The Great Dictator: "You are not machine men with machine minds and machine hearts!" You're NOT robots. You are NOT programmed to follow like sheep along with some 'veteran' player just because they 'run this' or 'run that' or are backed by 'whoever' 'officially.' - the truth of the matter is that SOME of those people are quite mean!

Don't take my word for it though - do your research, open your eyes and see it for yourself. The next time someone tells you to 'blacklist' so and so - don't just follow blindly. Make decisions for yourself. Drop the elitist clique and pick up some RP instead.
  2. Taysa Well-Known Member

How right you are. And people ask me all the time why I no longer open the venue I helped run, participate in any "server" RP (what server RP? It's more like a handful of people spamming RPLFG to get attention), or attend any other taverns except one on the rare occassion.

It's because of "Miss Jane Doe Awesomepants" and her little clique of friends who all have the maturity of freshman high school children. The rumors, backstabbing, trash talking and various other activities they participate in has made the roleplaying community on AB a vile and toxic environment. It's cult mentality, plain and simple.
    Zhadowsee likes this.
  3. Cynara Well-Known Member

Honestly, as a long time RPer, though seldom in EQ2, I have no idea who this is about, and don't really care. There are people like this, in real life and in MMO's, and the best solution is to remove their power by not participating in their reindeer games, or acknowledging the games even exist.

Miss Jane Doe Awesomepants is probably brimming with pride, because a post (any post) about her is feeding her pet, Ego Awesomepants. It also gives her more fuel for her fire to ostracize you and others.

"See they just hate me."

"They always try to tear me down."

"Come closer, children, and drink my kool-aid. It's grrrrrrrrrreat."

That said, why does no one ever tell me who to play with and not to play with? Am I doing something wrong??
    Avahlynn likes this.
  4. Mocha New Member

I've been playing this game for a little over two years now, and I am so disappointed in the RP community. Everyone hides in player housing, and Prexus forbid if you are a new face going to one of the advertised "open" RP taverns.

Facts based on my interactions with people in the last two years:

You are a new face, and no matter how friendly and outgoing you are if you aren't in someone's clique or guild you most likely will be ignored.

Everyone seems to know exactly what your first and last name is, what fighting style you have, and you are wearing plain clothes, are disarmed, and without any battle pets before you even say anything to them in character.

People will bash you in tells or publicly (mostly the latter) if your character doesn't conform to speaking common, not taking into consideration that your character either doesn't speak it or it would be out of character for them to speak anything other than their language of choice.

I could care less what Miss Jane Doe Awesomepants and the crew think of my character or who my character speaks to. I prefer public RP not hide in a corner RP. People say they don't do it because of griefing that was rampant years ago. Get over it. You want character growth? RP with people you don't know, nurture the community and stop acting like you are in elementary school. It's a game, grow up people. Also, don't wear your RP flag in public if you aren't going to RP unless it is in some hidden house, and don't get emo on someone because OMG they walked up to you in character on an RP server and wanted to /gasp RP with you randomly!
  5. Tarnorili Member

Well, getting people to think for themselves these days is probably the single most difficult thing to do in MMOs, across a multitude of levels be it RP, character builds, or other play-styles. But rest assured there are free-thinkers still out there.

Sure, there's a lot less people around than there use to be when the game was in it's earlier life. I've never been in a public channel on AB since I came back a couple of years ago. As a result all the characters my character has met have been through random RP interactions whilst adventuring/playing (an IC 100% of the time player). I must admit that it can take some time to meet other that way, but there are still wonderful and welcoming RPers out there to be found! The trick is not to rush/force it. Let it happen.

I say this a lot; but if you truly try to be the RPer you yourself are looking for (Which is often akin to your own RP style), over time you'll find other RPers in the community similarly like you, however obtuse your niche. Chin up all.
    ConcealFate, Cynara and Avahlynn like this.
  6. Raff Well-Known Member

RP'ers have been driven to the "personal home" venues to be able to have some sort of control over the RP trolls who so delight in screwing up any attempt at "open world' RP. I haven't RP'd in a couple of years, but I remember the time we were RP'ing in New Halas square and had to put up with some snot nosed kid hurling snowballs and fruitcake. Who needs that?

I play on AB now. But I don't RP here, so I can't speak for the community here. But if so many of you folks here seem to agree that there is an issue? What is stopping you from forming your own RP guild or group? Start advertising the new guild/ group / forum and make your own fun?
    Hevnoraak and Cynara like this.
  7. Mellody Member

I got a taste of this recently. Not sure if this is the same "Miss Awesomepants" you are referring to, but this one certainly seems to think she runs the RP show on AB. Who gave her the right to deem whether or not an entire group's storyline is "sanctioned" or not. If people want to RP, last time I checked she's not paying for my subscription, so she can go on /ignore and my storyline will continue. It's a shame that most of the server seems to bow down to her and if she decides she doesn't like your SL, then she contacts guild authorities and has your character removed from the guild and blacklisted from all RP within her circle. Grow up, Miss Awesomepants. It's a game and some of us refuse to worship you and we will play the way we want to. By the way, she also godmode's and that's a no-no..so she's not that awesome anyway. :)
    Hevnoraak likes this.
  8. Zhadowsee New Member

This works to a point. If one person within this group inadvertently crosses Miss Awesomepants, then Miss AP may make an effort to grief the group. Anyone who RPs with said group can get out of Miss AP's own guild or circle of friends. While ignoring Miss AP and her circle of friends may be a viable option, it still makes the gaming experience a bit sour. Nothing says "@#$% you" like someone saying, "I'd love to RP with you, but my guild leader is on, and I don't want her seeing me in your house/guild hall. I just can't handle Miss AP's drama today, and I have such an important role in her guild. I can't risk losing it."

Now you have to strike another friend off your own list, and your circle gets a bit smaller while Miss AP gets away with murder.

Or...

You run your own group and you have some recognition in the RP community. Suddenly Miss AP contacts you with, "So and so in your guild didn't RP the way I liked. Your guild is blacklisted from our Reindeer Games until you deal with your guildie the way I see fit." Granted, you can have the satisfaction of stepping away, but now your guild runs the risk of being ostracized. You also run the risk of losing members in your guild.

It all settles out in the end, and one can even recover. It is a headache, however, that no guild leader wants to deal with.
    Hevnoraak likes this.
  9. Estred Well-Known Member

Actually, how many RPers do we have on the forums? It's pretty hard to find people to RP with on Permafrost. I'm always up for it usually after some brief setting placement and can RP a variety of characters and at least according to others, somewhat competently RP both genders.

Also, good message from this Thread. Ostracizing people is a terrible practice, as one of my characters knows all to well.
  10. Taysa Well-Known Member

Not many, as far as I can tell. The RP community (on AB at least) has pretty much blacklisted any public channels where players of the OOC community can "grief" them. So that includes any Sony controlled channel like General and the forums here. (And to be honest, 9 out of 10 cries of griefing is just one person pissy they didn't get their way and the player in question didn't RP exactly to their specifications and then they are labeled as a "troll," blasted publicly in public channels and the "guild leaders" talk trash about them in the leaders channel)

They are even taking an OOC event originated on another server and turning it into a roleplay exclusive event, which pretty much kills the entire spirit of the event in the first place.

It's completely insular and not at all what roleplay was about.

As for your reply, Raff, been there, done that. Was blacklisted by the "clique" because of a falling out with one of the diva queens who loves nothing more than to drag everyone in the middle and force them to choose between which group to roleplay with. She can't just "live and let live." I even have screenshots of her bullying another fellow RPer for no other reason except she's an immature bully who can't let crap go.

Why do I want to be a part of that? Screw that. The RP ship has sailed for me on this game. Hopefully all those dregs of society will stay in EQ2 and not touch EQN or any other game I plan on playing.
  11. Estred Well-Known Member

Well that leaves me quite sad to hear that is how RP has gone in EQ2. Guess i'll just enjoy my Raiding/Grouping and just writing stories for characters with the occasional DnD Sessions to actually have some fun RPing.
    Hevnoraak likes this.
  12. Raff Well-Known Member

Why would you even want to have a darn thing to do with a bunch people like that? Run your own storylines in your own guild with people who want to RP the way you do. To hell with the RP channels and the people you don't like. Its like you are trying to cross paths with them. Ignore them and thier input.

There is plenty of room in this game for more than one group of RP'ers. Start your own bar in your own house and if those folks show up, then boot em out...this is why so much EQ2 RP has gone to the house scenario...because it gives you control.

Screw the clique....start your own. You really don't need them. Looks like there is plenty of interest here.
  13. Fuzion New Member

Less than two years ago I transferred my account to AB after SWG shut down and tried to get heavily involved in the RP community here. In all the years of RPing, I can't say I've ever had such a hard time trying to merge into a community before. I volunteered to help on events and never made lasting connections, went to tavern nights and usually sat there emoting to myself, unable to get others around me involved with my character, and as a last resort put my character in a date auction in an attempt to meet people and was stood up on the date. I decided at that point it was too much work and too frustrating to get involved in the RP community here.

I often come back to play EQ2 and do enjoy the game OOCly, but without RP I tend to come and go when I finish content and the game itself becomes repetitive. When I'm immersed in RP, I'll stay in a game for years, regardless of content. If by chance I do run into someone RPing openly, I'll toss out an IC hello since I'm back playing EQ2 again. :)
  14. Leaf85 New Member

Sorry to hear the state of RP on A-B is a bit lackluster. I just re-subbed to enjoy the game again-- (I've played off and on since beta) and have to say the RP around Kelethin is awfully quiet...likely gone into hiding within guild halls/tavern settings. The old ' Wishing Well' bardic-style evening seems to be gone as well. Anyway, I'll be around now for a few months and usually open RP a ton while I play (hence my highest level character being only 50 LOL :p ).

Kind regards,
    Meadowe (and a few alts...Leafsilver, Sparkleaf, Qillue et al.)
    <Silverfall>
  15. Tarnorili Member

Yep, I agree. It's basically the take home message that hold true to any facet: If you don't like something, don't do.
    It's a game, we should be doing what we like in-game, all the time. And there's great RP on AB still, just not as easy to come across as it once was. But's it's still there, out in the open. Keep your eyes and ears on the prize, you'll find it.
  16. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

AB has fun rp still on it. For instance, my BFF and I did some rp recently. Someone got stabbed. In a bar. The bartender yelled "helpful" suggestions and instead of helping the injured party, the healer that was there gave me beer.

God I love Freeport.

........way more than I should.

...............but I still love it. A lot. Stabbing=jokes. Blood on floor=we should all drink more.

How can you not get behind that level of nonchalance?

I love rp. I happily rp with any and all, and rp that goes sideways or in kooky directions is the best. Over thinking and over judging rp is awful, feeling judged or ostracized for a story is a big flashing hint to avoid the person doing the blame casting. Just let them go. Move on with your life, and trust that people that are nasty will eventually learn their lesson.
    Cynara likes this.
  17. GeekyGothy Active Member

AB -does- have a lot of good RP on it. This thread wasn't trying to say that it doesn't, it does. It could just do with more -open- RP and open world RP. People coming together and making RP happen instead of being crass, crude, rude or shunning people because Miss Jane Doe Awesomepants got angry at someone.

There are a lot of guilds that are starting to promote open RP and have been reaching out to other guilds and to the solitary player since this thread was started - which, I am glad to see. :)
  18. ConcealFate Well-Known Member

Im interested in learning more about the RP community..but after reading this post and replies, im scared! :eek: j/k

Where to start out?
  19. Ucala Well-Known Member

I wonder what you mean by "spreading lies about players" I have never talked about another player other than saying they are bad at playing their class or good at playing their class, what else is there to mention?
  20. GIndotto Well-Known Member

I used to co-lead a big guild on AB, was the worst experience of my life. As far as open RP in the world environment, I can count on one hand how many times I've encountered random RP and that is kind of sad. I can't say it's all the RPers fault though, the game promotes being insular and staying away from the actual public environment.

Venues are just another LOL scenario.

Let me be clear that I'm not knocking the effort venue leaders put into creating and opening the venues,but:

I once made an alt and came in to a venue and tried to demand a ransom from the owner by slipping them a note across the bar, saying I would be back in 7 days time (the next time the venue opened) and wanted the money or else. My intention was to be discrete, no one wants a hooligan causing chaos on a nice event night. The response was something like "You are a bad troll and know very little of how to properly RP in this game, I'm removing your access on the house get out!". I laughed because this same person was actually one of my understudies on Gindotto during my leading of the guild back in 2012, and her quick jump to assume I was trolling made me laugh. I had no intention of killing anyone, I didn't even mention what I planned to do if the money wasn't forked over, (the character was actually a bad con artist with no fighting skills, I planned to let him be hanged in the Freeport square, how fun would that have been?), but instead of seeing an opportunity for a fun little "uh oh, trouble brewing" moment, it was instant drama for no reason.

I wish anyone who still participates in RP on AB or other servers the best of luck, it's a strange, sad scenario for those of us who are used to using our imaginations and not "getting clearance two weeks ahead of time" and being told "how you're allowed to RP". Completely laughable.
    Kraeref and Cynara like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.