dps mod

Discussion in 'Mages' started by captainbeatty451, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Arieva Well-Known Member

Scouts early on this xpac found that a lot of mobs appear to be brawler mobs that can avoid even from the back, hence why most scouts run 100% strikethrough. Scouts did it however to incease proc frequency not for melee damage.

As you go up the tiers in raid names melee seems to be drastically reduced. Speccing some mod is fun in heroics, kinda cool on t1 raid names, fair on t2, and has me asking myself why the heck I bothered on t3. What I'd like to know is if this is way they intend it to be.
  2. Pitta Active Member

Weapon Skills made the difference in hit rates. Maintain 2k+ and you will be at 95%+ hit rates on all raid mobs.
  3. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

Honestly, as a mage, it is ridiculous to even need to worry about things like weapon skills.

I did notice yesterday that after about 10 tests with 5 being in ability mod 380k with 500dps and 5 being in ability mod 360k with 800dps, the 800dps build did more damage, consistently.

Now, it was a very slight difference, but there was a difference. Once my raidforce starts hitting t3 mobs, I'll have to look more closely at what else might make a difference. but honestly, where are these stats going to come from? I'm already reforged about as much as I can be in order to get to a doublecast cap, recovery cap, ability mod reasonable, now dps higher number, etc. I guess I'll be able to reforge out of dps into strikethrough, since the difference was minimal. but good lord.

Again, 1 step forward, 2 steps back expansion. In many ways the progression has been extremely satisfying. In others, it has been frustrating. Luckily, I play a class that feels the progression very nicely when we do get it.
  4. Entropy Well-Known Member

It's ridiculous that mages need to worry about weapon skills? How about all classes now having to worry about doublecast because of Ascension? Mages get a nice pre-existing advantage there. I'm not complaining about that.

Also, the reason you aren't losing much by trading off your AMOD has a whole lot to do with the class shown in your signature... but I'm sure you knew that already.
  5. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

I just get grumpy about constantly feeling the need to reforge. Please never take my grumpiness as feeling that my class is worse off than others. Believe me, I picked a summoner because it is 1. easy to play 2. in a good spot 3. feels the progression of stats very nicely.

The concept of doublecast for scouts is also ridiculous--as is the concept of one size fits all dps ascension in place of archetype or class ascension that could have been so much cooler.

And honestly, I'm a new necromancer and am certainly no expert, though I practice and group enough to know that I'm in a good spot. But perhaps you mean because my skills all do damage over time or perhaps you mean because my pet does 1/3 of my damage that I don't need ability mod as much as other classes. I don't know. But I do know that when I look up people who are better than I am, they usually also have more ability mod. Point is, I don't know why ab mod would affect me more than other classes, but I'm always willing to learn.

All I know for sure is that when I tested, the dps mod was better. And I wanted to share that information so that other pet classes could test for themselves or take my word for it and potentially improve.
  6. Entropy Well-Known Member

Yes, because of the DOTs. Your pet should inherit your AMOD.
    captainbeatty451 likes this.
  7. VGScastaway Member

Aren't these changes doing against all their initial nerfs to anything considered "passive damage"? Autos, hemo... anything that wasn't push button-receive damage? Looking at a lot of heroic and raid parses since these changes, I'm seeing a lot of classes doing massive amounts of damage with their pets. This seems to go against all the late tot changes, and seem way overboard in practice now imo.
  8. Jrox Well-Known Member

You just did complain... And what advantage do you speak of? I don't have innate doublecast built into my toon, or do I? WTF?
  9. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

yeah you do lol - all mages do :D you gear have DC on more pieces that scouts gear
  10. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

I must be wearing the wrong gear then...cuz none of my mage specific gear, including my weapon and jewelry from the epic questline has dbc
    Jrox and Scrappyz like this.
  11. Jrox Well-Known Member

tisk... tisk... tisk... I see a whole lota flurry though rofl... My cloak has double-cast. Think my belt that is really only my resolve belt with double cast. the belt when i'm not pushing resolve is the 16 fervor belt for more deeps. The majority of my double-cast comes from reforging. You can click on my signature below to see my gear and see I'm not making this pew-pew up lol. Sorry Doom, but your wrong on this one buddy.
    DoomDrake and captainbeatty451 like this.
  12. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

You might be right in the current content thou :D back in ToT time I do remember my warlock was running full of **** err full of double cast without lifting a finger in terms of efforts of getting that gear
    Jrox likes this.
  13. Melt Actually plays the game

The ONLY advantage is with wizards having 10% DBC from ER. Warlocks may, I don't know. We get 5% extra for 10 AA points. This seems like a fairly tiny advantage, especially when the only current viable belt has doublecast on it.
    Jrox likes this.