[DoV] Vethilot the Corpsemonger in Tower of Frozen Shadow: Shadowed Corrindor

Discussion in 'Zones and Population' started by ARCHIVED-MirageKnight, Feb 28, 2011.

1. ARCHIVED-Banditman Guest

Raz_wolf wrote:
    I think a better way to implement this mechanic would be to take a page from Ozyk in Munzok's Material Bastion.
    Instead of using a clickable verb, put something on the corpse that needs to be looted. Loot it, corpse disappears. Problem solved.
  2. ARCHIVED-Yimway Guest

Gninja wrote:
    It is not 5 seconds, not remotely.
    The mob dies, its death animation plays, then the named warps to him.
    You can not destroy the corpse until the death animation finishes and the named warps to him. By my best estimation the time to click that the corse is actually clickable is 1.5s.
    When the default verb was not destroy, it required a server poll to get the verb list, then click the appropriate one. The lag involved on a server poll could mean even if you began the click process with .25s, you may not actually get to click the destroy verb until he alread had the buff.
    Further observation is, he adds the buff before he finishes his 'eating' animation as well.
    So, I don't know how it was all intended to be scripted, but the end result is most assuredly not 5 seconds to perform this task on live.
  3. ARCHIVED-Falaris Guest

If you keep him moving, he does not seem to port to the corpses when they rise. We have killed him a number of times by kiting him around the big square formed by the hallways. A corpse spawns on the group member and they walk so slowly that we just move him down the hall each spawn while nuking him to death. It takes a while.. and eventually the adds will be moving through the walls to catch up, but it quite doable that way.

-Fal
  4. ARCHIVED-Yimway Guest

Yes, kiting him around the zone and never killing an add is the easiest sollution until the time to destroy the corpses when they die is addressed.
  5. ARCHIVED-Siebzhen Guest

wait you can destroy the corpses by right clicking them?
    Lol ive been running the boss in a giant loop on that floor to avoid haveing to kill the adds at all. it takes about 3 loops to burn him down this way just have to be on your toes to move away from fresh corpse spawns so they dont 1-2 shot healers.
  6. ARCHIVED-Banditman Guest

The first time we ran this zone, we actually did the script the way it was intended. It was a long, tedious, un fun fight for something so early in an "easy" zone. It was *definitely* not even *remotely* 5 seconds to take care of a corpse before he would eat it.
    Subsequent times in the zone, we simply keep moving, not killing any zombie adds, just burning the name.
    The problem with the intended mechanic here is that lag has too big a part to play. Like Atan pointed out, you can't actually "act" on the corpse until it's death animation plays. Then you have to "ask" the server what your options are, and THEN you have to choose the action. Good luck making that happen with the corpse, the mob and players all in a very close proximity like that.
    As I said, put something on each corpse that needs to be looted, after which the corpse disappears. The adding of a new verb to the action menu is getting in the way of a potentially entertaining encounter.
  7. ARCHIVED-Titigabe Guest

Bleuty@Everfrost wrote:
    This dungeon is the first dungeon players can access to and is supposed to be of difficulty one.
    If you need to be equiped with fabled/raid gear in order to clean an instance, what's the point?
    This fight is definetly too hard or too buged in order to be accompished by normal group.
    Adds are spawning too quickly, making too much damage and are too numerous.
    Tried the 2 strats last night and did not manage to do any.
  8. ARCHIVED-Titigabe Guest

Gninja,
    Could you please check this mob and confirm that the fight is buged?
    Any way to turn the add difficulty a bit down? This is a level 1 dungeon, the first we met in this x-pack.
    Also, we had another in the Shadowed Corridors, when we tried the tome of ages.
    The fight reset once the named add pop, though we were close to the center of the room.
  9. ARCHIVED-Gninja Guest

Both Vethilot and the Tome of Ages Past are not in the same difficulty as the rest of Shadowed Corridors. They are quest bosses and are only needed to unlock the zone set boss on the 8th floor so they are in difficulty in line with the 8th floor or slightly less. If they are too difficult then skip them gear up a little bit and engage them later on. They do not drop normal loot either because they are quest bosses and can be respawned.
  10. ARCHIVED-ffd700 Guest

After killing both Vethilot and the Tome, how do you spawn them again? There's no more potion to click on to start the quest to kill Vethilot and even though you can get the quest to spawn the Tome again none of the updates are clickable a second time.
    At least that's how it was for my group the last time we ran both zones.
  11. ARCHIVED-Ykiphia1 Guest

If there are supposed to be five seconds to destroy the corpse, then this encounter should be fairly easy. Unfortunately, as of last night, the time-frame to click the corpse is nowhere near that. If there were actually five seconds, I would be perfectly happy to have a roving destroy option, a herd of pets, a warden tree, and wild explosions of particle effects to maneuver around to click the corpse. As it stands, I have only killed this mob with an enchanter in the group.
  12. ARCHIVED-Banditman Guest

Gninja wrote:
    The "apparently" intended difficulty is frankly fine. The problem that I am seeing, and that most of the other replies are seeing, is that the mechanics of the encounter are getting in the way of entertainment.
    Lag absolutely has a part to play in this, and whenever you put in some sort of time sensitive component, I think it's fairly important to take that into consideration as part of the difficulty. I am not sure that lag is the ONLY thing going wrong here, but most definitely it is a significant factor.
    I think that 5 seconds after the corpse hits the floor is adequate, however, mechanically, that isn't what my experience has been with this encounter. I'd be surprised if it has been even half that.
    I still think looting something to destroy the corpse is the best solution to maintain the intended mechanic. However, in lieu of that, consider having the mob wait until the 5 seconds have expired before shadow stepping to the corpse. That would certainly help.
  13. ARCHIVED-Krazaak Guest

Gninja wrote:
    I don't really have a problem with the difficulty, but the script certainly is not working the way you state it should. The script is absolutely not giving us 5 seconds to destroy a corpse before Vethilot eats it.
    If it's not supposed to wait 5 seconds, then fine... it's just hard.
    If it is supposed to wait 5 seconds, then it's currently broken.
  14. ARCHIVED-Gninja Guest

Working on the encounter now and it was set to 2seconds. I am changing it to 5seconds and making the default verb for the corpses to be destroy this should allow you to double click them to get rid of them quickly. He will still add buffs from players dying immediately as you only get the 5 second buffer time if you kill an add. They are less meaty
  15. ARCHIVED-Drumstix Guest

Gninja wrote:
    How about the guy in the x2? :)
  16. ARCHIVED-Harzel Guest

Gninja wrote:
    So does that mean he will get a bigger buff when a BARBARIAN PC dies than when he slurps up a dead halfling?
    H.
  17. ARCHIVED-Gninja Guest

Harzel wrote:
    ROFL

These changes will be applied to both the heroic and X2 version.
  18. ARCHIVED-Lanar_Lifeline Guest

Griffinhart wrote:
    +1
    getting the right "Right Click" in the middle of players/mobs/etc is brutal. Make it light up, make it double-click-able..
  19. ARCHIVED-nekurareikon Guest

Blambil@Nagafen wrote:
    Didn't that already happen?
  20. ARCHIVED-Lanar_Lifeline Guest

Not as of Sunday night the 27th.. Still right-click-driven.