Double XP for new toons

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by AshianaDragon, Sep 17, 2020.

1. AshianaDragon Member

I was thinking about why this game has a hard time attracting and keeping new players, perhaps it's the level, xp/platinum gap. As newer players try out the game they find themselves as such a disadvantage regarding being able to buy things on the marketplace and leveling up enough to participate in group content.

Perhaps there could be double xp permanently up until level 100 or something like that. This might help the frustration for lower levels who are trying to get up to group content, which only seems to be happening in the last 2 expansions. In BDO, granted you can move from server to server every 15 minutes (or at least used to be able to do so), they have a dedicated server for lower level toons that has double experience up until a certain high level - making it easier to play with others sooner.

I know some people will say they can buy cash shop stuff, but that isn't how you attract or keep new players right off the starting line. You have to lure them in in the first place with small advantages - and let's face it giving new toons double xp wouldn't hurt higher level players, and it would get them to group content earlier. Most guilds won't accept people until they are a certain level either. As it is now, most new people give up after a month or 3 because of the disheartening disparity, and loneliness.

I do have one other comment, welcome or not, but EQ2 really is buy to play if you want to play with people (hardly anyone in low level zones, has a monthly subscription to make a lot of the game more enjoyable and able to group easily, AND is now P2W. What gives? It used to be one or possibly 2 of the 3 to enjoy a game, but now all 3 - much sadness as I think this economic model kills it for many potential new players.

Give newbies a hand up - and I don't mean power leveling by another player - no one learns or enjoys anything that way.
  2. Louly Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Although I am All Access if I start a new toon I play as if I am not as far as plat goes. Some low level shinies sell for a really good price. Also, mats sell well. I have found that the low level quest gear is good at least until level 20. And if you follow a quest line you get a mount. You didn't say if the new player was free to play or All Access. I don't know much about free to play but I think they need tokens to sell on the broker.

Double XP would help in the short term but not the long term. If they level to fast they won't learn how to play.

I've checked the guild recruitment and there are a lot of guilds that take people at level one.

The one thing I see as a big problem is broker prices for low level armor, weapons, jewelry and such.
    The only fix I think would be of benefit is to cap how much low level armor can sell for. Say up to level 40
    When I wanted to do "A strange black rock HQ" the price for a palladium bangle was way to much.

Anyway, those are just some thoughts I have :)
  3. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I've noticed over the past decade that sometimes we get a plethora of assistance to level up, and other times none exists. That's mostly EQ. But I have noticed that here as well.

I think more double XP weekends, and some during the weeks so folks who work on the weekend can get some extra xp, would be helpful.

The starting xp potion of 50% and later at 70%... well, I think those should be 75% and 90%. I know there are two 100% potions for starting characters... I think you get them in the welcome to Norrath after 24 hours. If I remember correctly. There could be 4 of those. And 6 of the repair gear items.

I agree on broker prices. Lots of low level gear at platinum prices these days. Way too much. Until I had toons who could email platinum to new characters, a gold piece was lots of cash. Broker prices for gear under level 41 need to drop back into the silver and gold piece range.

Saw items on the broker selling for hundreds, and in a few cases thousands, of plat. I get them as easy drops. And sell them cheap to.

16 plat for a 46 slot backpack is weird. They used to be cheaper. One of my characters made 20 of them yesterday. Took not much time, probably around 10 minutes. Mailed them to various of my characters that didn't have 46 slot backpacks.
    AshianaDragon likes this.
  4. Elskidorr Active Member

I don't think level increases help intimidation levels and the early game becomes more and more a pointless hurdle for many. No clue how to fix this but it's a problem with the model of these older games. A level crutch back to 60 cap and entire game revamp of everything might work or could have a irreversible terrible effect.
  5. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

Level 100-120 takes a couple of hours max, even for new players. Level 20-96 can be done in an afternoon running agnostic dungeons. The only bottleneck is 96-100, but it's also doable in a short period of time if you ask around for advice and help. I don't think the levelling in EQ2 is what makes it intimidating for new/returning players. There are far more difficult obstacles than that to overcome, but the devs have been making changes recently which are potentially good in this regard.

Without regular level increases, the game would stagnate for existing players. There's a solid 2 years between level increases, and that's plenty of time to level up, get to know people, learn the game and be ready to hit the ground running in the next tier if you choose to play at the high end.

My solemn advice to any new player would be to not rush anyway. There's so much to learn and so many useful quests to run, so much really good quality old content to play through and just so much you'd miss if you skip straight to the high level. By all means skip ahead with alts, but your first character you should try to take in as much of Norrath as you possibly can on the way up. Join a casual guild, ask questions, group when the opportunity comes up and play through quest lines on the wiki.
  6. Svenone Well-Known Member

96-100: pygmy/dino isle writs. Rally banner helps a lot. Guild hall amenities are required. Doing the TS/PS quest lines may be required, first, I do not recall.
    Pixistik likes this.
  7. AshianaDragon Member

Actually, it's just lonely and boring to play by yourself, day after day. I think I meant that by giving new players double xp it's showing that they're valued - just a wee gift for encouragement. It's not about getting to the top level for me, but the market on my server is so crazy that new players feel they'll never be able to catch up in gear - that is unless you fork out real cash - P2W. I don't care now because I realize I'm never going to get there, and maybe others feel the same way.

And as for doing agnostics from 20/30 up to the dungeon cap - sorry not a grinder doing repetitive dungeons day after day. Found it tedious in BDO, although I made it to 61 when the highest player in the world was 62 (yep, awhile ago), nagas, nagas, nagas. I think it's good for people needing to destress after their work day though, so I do get it. It's just not for everyone.

I like the older content and have started new toons in addition to taking my 120 through those questlines. Just wish there was a way to do old PQ's to get the currency for housing items I want. As for guilds, well many start, then falter, leaving the elitist guilds who don't do any old content, but if they did for newbies they might get some awesome new members (I know long time players are sick of doing old stuff). Maybe it's different on other servers...

I want my EQ Next...I know it's cancelled, but I want it anyway XD Maybe Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen, Brad McQuaid's final game will have that groupy feel - if it ever comes out. You know, that energy that comes with a new game that everyone is just starting, but until then I plunk away in this game, grateful for good housing and a server that doesn't have that same feel as Barren's chat in WoW. Most of the people in type chat in HoF are really quite nice if you have questions. I hear AB is a good housing server that makes up their own events, maybe I'll give that a try.

This IS a very good time wasting game (I mean that in a positive light) - a million things to do in the intricate spider web of complexity that is known as EQ2. <3
  8. Dude Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what gear you're talking about. There's nothing really of value on the broker, other than spells. At 120, all gear and weapons is from doing quests, achievements, and heroic/raid zones. This expansion, more than any other in my memory is very easy to catch up in terms of gear. Spells are the big place where new or returning players will have trouble. Those are going to require some plat, some DBC, or a really helpful guild.

It's really not "day after day" unless you're talking about leveling multiple toons. 10-95 is easily achieved in a few hours. With a good PL you can go from 10-100 with no problem at all in a few hours. 100-110 will require you to go to PoM, but the free gear and a heal bot merc makes it much easier. Once you hit 110 you can skip right over CD, go get the free gear from the crate in the Blinding.
    Breanna likes this.
  9. WhysperWynde Well-Known Member

I have 20 Characters, 18 on Skyfire and 2 on Kaladim Servers, and I find your suggestion of double experience for characters up until Level 100 to be very excessive! Perhaps to Level 10 and then one quarter higher experience until Level 20. But what you suggest entails playing most of the game at double experience. Might as well just raise everyone's experience to double and then where would that get you?

Somebody else mentioned the Broker prices for lower level armor and here I must agree. Although of course the Broker prices are designated primarily by supply and demand and of course Crafters putting up their sales on the Broker are going to ask the highest prices that they can get; it might do well for Dark Paw to Cap prices on lowest level armor so people with not much experience and therefore not having accumulated much money yet to get started in decent armor suited to their low but highest level.
  10. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

wish to get double experience can occur if your toons are f2p, but if you have sub, your characters gets exp twice as fast. not surprisingly some members don't seem to be interested in increasing speed of their toons get quickly experience even more. since this wish, it seems to me, is determined by speed of opening next points of AA. if it were too fast it would not be interesting. this is twice as slow for f2p but this is fair. moreover, new conditions for new toons can't be much easier than for those who were before or been for long time. otherwise, it can cause annoyance from feeling unfair (if looking at new players) and even lead to reluctance to continue. perhaps this game exists largely because people want cozy game for themselves and and get something similar what want to it for their money, although i think that sterling feeling of comfort is prevented, unfortunately, by existence of f2p (well, you know, such very definite feeling when that guy in adjacent band - you seen? didn't pay for benzine, and for road. and he furthermore prevents you from keeping your pace). but you can't do anything about it.. though i think if they add button "hide f2p players from me", it will return somes gamer to game and not accelerated experience pumping will do it.. imagine, your contact points to someone, talks about actions of some player, and you are surprised - you answer him (her): i don't see anyone here! so that this doesn't happen, this option should turn on automatically when toons join and depend on leader and, accordingly, exclude possibility of joining for f2p if it's activated. accordingly, they will not be able to attack your targets
  11. WhysperWynde Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but what is f2p? I don't know what that stands for. Yes, EOA2 there is MUCH I don't know about EQ2 despite 20 toons!
  12. Nazy Well-Known Member

Free-to-play.
  13. WhysperWynde Well-Known Member

Oh, thanx again Nazy! No wonder I didn't know = doesn't interest me at all. However I will reread the posts including mention of it in light of now knowing that it means Free To Play. K-doke!
    Nazy likes this.
  14. Geroblue Well-Known Member

That is astounding. Only way I have found to quickly get up to 110 adv level is to get the leveling token.
    Breanna likes this.
  15. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

The leveling token is even quicker! :D