Domino Please Help: TLE Level 40 writs are a net loss

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Reynalda, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Reynalda New Member

Domino, I heard you were coming back and I know I can count on your help. TLE writs are hard enough with the difficulty of getting materials but now at level 40 I find I am losing 2 gold 8 silver per writ. I started the writ (carpenter) with 5 gold 89 silver in my pocket, and 82 luminous sandpaper. The writ took 36 sandpapers and paid some coin for six combines. After finishing, I replaced the sandpaper. Then I had 3 gold 8 silver in my pocket. I am too poor to keep on doing writs, sadly. I could get a tin cup and stand out in front of Execution Plaza but I don't think I would get very much, lol.

I looked at the forums and a fix was promised but this is still broken. Can you help?
    Rhodris likes this.
  2. Filly67 Well-Known Member

Can we at least find out if this is "working as intended" or if there is a plan to fix this? TIA.
    Rhodris likes this.
  3. Mermut Well-Known Member

At least as a stop-gap, keep doing lvl 39 rush orders (which leads to OTHER issues as EL and Zek are usually strip-mined... or all wood and bushes).
    Currently if you have 3 or more combines of the same lvl 40-49 item in a rush order, you lose money on that portion of the writ. Each combine takes 92s and change in fuel costs... because of the adventure quests, they've capped repeatable rewards at 2gp. As a consequence, each combine over 2 per item for a writ costs the crafter ~1g. In the TLE economy that is real money (at least for most players.)

Note: The cash reward for turning in rush orders is always less the the fuel cost of the part.. it is negligible, which is fine, when fuel costs are covered.

This is not a case of crafters saying 'we don't make enough on rush orders'. It's a case of we shouldn't be LOSING money on rush orders.
    Pixistik, Filly67, Rhodris and 2 others like this.
  4. Adevil Well-Known Member

The limit of 2g for a reward on repeatable quests is the problem here, and it's only going to get worse as the cost of fuel rises. Simplest fix would be to lower the cost of fuel, but honestly they're going to have to figure out something different than a hard cap on the gold reward before too many expansions get unlocked.
  5. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

This is something that you should report on the DBG Issue Tracker. Grab some screenshots of the quest, the fuel merchant's window showing your fuel costs, and the reward pop up window(s) to attach.

Domino was always really good about paying attention to the forums, but in general, when you got bugs, getting them into the tool that is used by the dev team to triage and prioritize bug fixes is the fastest path to a fix. Posting here, it's a crapshoot whether a dev will see the issue or not. Plus, the Issue Tracker has places that ask you to give a step-by-step "how to re-create this problem", which is essential for the folks trying to fix the bug, and check the bug fix.
  6. Kelvani Well-Known Member

Not trying to be a downer.. but I have already brought this issue to their attention here:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...ward-working-as-intended.562445/#post-6244248

Caith's response was that NO repeatable writ on the TLE server (this includes tradeskill writs) would reward more than 2 gold.

The only way to avoid this is to do the level 39 rush order until you hit 44, then do the lvl 44 rush order to 50.

They structured the lvl 40 writ to have one item combined 6 times.. so unless they restructure it, which I seriously doubt they will, there is no way to avoid Caith's 2g cap. :(
  7. Adevil Well-Known Member

Except this issue is not a bug. It is an intentional limit placed on the maximum gold that a repeatable quest can award. The target was some of the adventure quests (one in Lavastorm was awarding something like 30g for 10 minutes work) that were giving out way more gold than DBG wants the TLE economy to have right now. Crafting writs just got caught in the back-blast, so to speak.
  8. Azian Well-Known Member

If they don't want to change the reward then the quantity of fuel used can be adjusted or even easier would be to reduce the cost of the fuel itself.
    Filly67 likes this.
  9. Adevil Well-Known Member

As I said earlier in the thread the best solution is to reduce the fuel cost. However, they're going to have to do something every time an expansion is released because the cost of fuel just keeps going up. 2g can't be the cap for repeatable quests in higher tiers, so this blanket limit....maybe they'll just keep inching it up or something.
  10. Mermut Well-Known Member

Unfortunately it isn't even that good. For tailors, at least, lvl 44 rush orders still have one item made 3 times.. so they're still money pits :confused:
  11. Mermut Well-Known Member

For future reward caps as the level cap rises with expansions, it will be very easy for them to avoid this problem in the future, if they're interested in avoiding it. Simply check what the fuel cost of a handcrafted item at the max tier, multiply it by three, and make sure the gold cap is at least that much.

Now that they're aware of the problem, they can avoid it in the future if they take the time (and if it matters to them).
  12. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

I won't do the writs on TLE because of this. I do the FFS quest line to 20, then make what I need for my characters, and grind the rest of the levels. This way I at least get the item back and can sell it to the fuel vendor for the same cost of the fuels.
  13. Mermut Well-Known Member

You don't lose money until you get to 40. Until then fuel cost is always covered, well it is if you do rush orders. Work orders take too many materials for me to do them on TLE were resources are more scarce.
    Adevil likes this.
  14. Krastis Member

So what they are saying is the hell with the crafters if you want to craft you will have to grind from 40 to 44 or pay. Thats a good response or they can raise the reward money for actual completion of quest since that is only 72 silver.
  15. Alenna Well-Known Member

I thought you got the fuel cost with the mini upgrades during the crafting process and then got the extra gold when you turned the writ in has that changed? on live I always get my fuel costs back in the mini update during the crafting portion of the writ and get the extra gold when I turn in the writ quest if that has been intentionally changed just for TLE they need to rethink that the adventureres do not have to buy fuel to do their adventure writs.
  16. Mermut Well-Known Member

On the TLE servers, they changed it so (currently) the max reward from any repeatable quest is 2g. The writs (and the intermediate steps that return fuel costs) are repeatable quests, so they're capped at 2g. Each handcrafted combine in the 40-49 range, costs 92s and change in fuel. If you have a step to make 3, that's over 2g in fuel cost, but the reward for that cap is capped at 2g, so you lose money.
    Adevil likes this.
  17. Alenna Well-Known Member

then they need to let us sell the items we make back for at least fuel cost if htey are not going to fix the tradeskill writs so we don't lose money. the intermediate steps and return of the fuel cost with them were given because they no longer let us keep the item we make. this needs to be addressed the tradeskillers using the writs to level are not the exploiters you are trying to stop fix this.
  18. Mermut Well-Known Member

It's pretty much been stated that they're not changing it for this stage of the TLE expansion set. That's why I gave a suggestion that seems more equitable for moving forward. Easy to implement, if it's something they care to do.
  19. Reynalda New Member

I want to thank each person who entered a post here. The quality and helpfulness of your posts speak for themselves. I have played a number of games, and I think the thing that gives this particular game its vitality is the crafting community. Where else do you turn when things look really bleak except to the crafting channel? I think crafters are the backbone of this game.

I am amazed at the lengths most of you will go to get around a tough problem, such as this business of making crafters "pay to do writs" as one person noted. Sadly, these answers are stop-gap measures. This is a problem that needs to be addressed by the devs--only they can fix it. Some players have suggested that this matter "is working as intended." If that is so, then it means that the devs intended to punish a group of crafters working on the TLE servers. I don't believe that....unlike devs in other games best not mentioned, our devs have always been responsive to our problems. Therefore, I am waiting to hear some word from them as to when this is going to be fixed because as a crafter that is lucky to make 2 gold a day selling things on the broker after fuel costs, I can't afford to proceed with writs that cost me 2 gold 8 silver each. I don't want to be forced to choose between grinding and just giving it up, so I am waiting patiently for a developer's response and thanking all of you trying to help out this situation.
    HaphazardAllure likes this.
  20. Cloudrat Well-Known Member

There is no excuse or good reason for this fubar to have continued for this long. Doing 39 writs until 44 is not a good work around for anyone and it's a horror for anyone using hard metal. Some of us came to TLE for the sense of community we remember, but contested nodes and jacked mat prices have taken a lot of that away. Now the game wants to take away the pittance we earn now in our efforts to level and provide the goods people want.
    Faeonara and Filly67 like this.