Does Resolution help with FPS???

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Forestchild, Jul 15, 2022.

1. Forestchild Well-Known Member

Good day to you all. Here's a silly question. Does higher resolutions vs. lower resolutions do help with Higher framerate numbers?

I currently run eq2 on a 48" Sony Tv with resolution of 4096 x 2160, and get anywhere between 35-60, depending on zone.

Was thinking of changing back to a smaller resolution of the standard one for 1920 x 1080. Would I get higher FPS if I did that?
  2. Carynn Well-Known Member

This does not answer your question, but provides some info that I know. If you press F11, you can see your FPS and could do a variety of tests yourself. I do know that if you decrease your quality of graphics within the game (Options>Performance), it does make for smoother gameplay, especially in raids, but you lose the ability to see sparkle effects and other random things on the ground. Resolution wise, I've never tested it, as I tend to play on a half screen so I can watch TV on the other half.
    Forestchild likes this.
  3. Arclite Well-Known Member

Given the way eq2 engine is coded, playing at a higher resolution would actually help the fps as you are taking the load off the cpu and putting it on the gpu. At 1080p, your CPU will be pressed more to dish out frames as is the case with majority of games, so lowering it will not really benefit your fps unless you are running a very modern cpu at a very high clock frequency - then you may see an increase in fps at 1080p. As it stands, 4k would be better provided you have a good gpu that can take the load.

That said, just forget about getting a good stable frame rate with today's hardware. EQ2 was designed for 2004 and it never saw any hardware optimisations to make use of modern hardware even though the original DVD box came with "built with future hardware in mind". I mean just ask Kander on discord and he would say run it on balance...
    Forestchild likes this.
  4. Forestchild Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input. Yes, I know lowering the graphics settings will give more FPS, but if I do that, I am better of not playing. We play games to look at the graphics.

I figured also like you said Archlite, that higher resolutions would be better, just was wondering how much of a difference.

Thanks again for the comments. Was just something i was thinking of, cuz I built this one about 2 years ago, and built an "almost" exact copy with for my dad, and another one for mom and niece. and on all the computer we get different FPS numbers. I know Internet is a major issues. like ping and conection locations and such.
  5. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

There are a number of graphics settings that can be lowered that will improve performance without really downgrading your visual experience. It's a little old, but the Guide to Optimizing Display Options has a lot of info about the various settings, what they do, and which ones can be lowered.
    Breanna, Siren, Twyla and 1 other person like this.
  6. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Hey Forest, just found this thread of yours while browsing the forums.

To answer your question: Yes, reducing the resolution will most likely increase your fps numbers. By how much really depends on your hardware. On weaker hardware lowering your resolution in EQ2 can more than double your fps. Only one way to find out, try it :)

That might be true on Windows, but on Linux you're actually able to get a very nice fps boost by using Vulkan and the overall more powerful underlying and more efficient system core. It's also not entirely true that EQ2 never saw any hardware optimisations to make use of modern hardware, because the game did in fact get several multicore optimisations along the way (among other things). EQ2 does indeed make use of multiple cpu cores in your system, even if it's not ideal, and it also makes better use of your gpu under Vulkan.

Check this out @Forest: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/eq2-on-linux-and-mac-guide.604032/

As you already know, I am recording a number of videos for my EQ2 Relaxation series, which I am recording at 1080p, maximum settings, vsync, 4xAA, godrays, ambient occlusion, shadows set to high and everything else on. I'm getting 60+ fps while recording - even in Qeynos. Playback my videos and set it to fullscreen @1080p / 60 fps and you'll see how buttery smooth everything is animation wise. That said, the system I am using to record these videos is far from highend and more on the lowend side of things by todays standards. Check out the link above (Mac and Linux guide) and take a look at the hardware specs of my Optiplex 3040 machine. It's a Small Form Factor (SFF) computer with a 40 Watts gpu and I'm running elementary OS on it right now (moved my OpenSUSE OS to another machine).

[IMG]

Elementary OS: https://elementary.io/

Elementary OS = a beautiful Linux distro that rivals and even surpasses Mac OS in many ways.

Anyway, what also further enhances the framerate is AMD FSR or Nvidia DLSS and NIS. On Linux, we have been using AMD FSR with Wine and Proton for some time now, which is also what the Steam Deck is using for pushing higher fps numbers on their mobile hardware. Both features should be available on Windows by now, if what I read is correct:
    All of the technology mentioned above is actually open source and that's really what makes it so great in the first place.

Breanna and Forestchild like this.