Does EQ2 Support Dual-Core Processors?

Discussion in 'General Tech Support Questions' started by ARCHIVED-TheRegulator, Apr 2, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-TheRegulator Guest

It would seem EQ2 runs much worse than any other game on my system.
    Does EQ2 even support dual core processors, in the sense that it utilizes both cores to optimize performance?
  2. ARCHIVED-skinandbones Guest

No it dont. Their have been several post about this asking for it.
  3. ARCHIVED-Loolee Guest

Since EQ2 was created before dual-core systems came out, it does NOT support dual-core processors.

If you are having trouble getting your pc to run EQ2 smoothly, you should look here for tips on what you can do to optimize your gaming experience.
  4. ARCHIVED-ZThoth Guest

Loolee, that's kind of a BS answer (no offence intended)...World of Warcraft was released the same time and originally didn't support Dual Cores, but now does.
    Maybe WoW's engine is more flexible to alter than EQ2's, I don't know the answer.
  5. ARCHIVED-LordPazuzu Guest

Azag@Crushbone wrote:
    The EQ2 engine is rather infamous for being inflexible.
  6. ARCHIVED-Thunderthyze Guest

I don't have a problem with the framerates I get off my Athlon 64 single core processor. Thank goodness you don't need cutting edge equipment in order to run the game or SOE would lose half the player base overnight.
  7. ARCHIVED-Wingrider01 Guest

Azag@Crushbone wrote:
    No it doesn't, it was patched to offload some processes to the second core, same thing that eq2 does. It does not truely support multi-core processing, if it did then it would shomw some scaling to quad cores, which it does not. There is a major difference between offloading some processes and truely supporting parallel processing systems
  8. ARCHIVED-hdfxe78 Guest

Wingrider01 wrote:
    Really? My computer shows an almost 50/50 processor usage in WOW, RF Online, Anarchy Online, even EQ1 shows usage of both cores. It shows a 99/1 split in EQ2, ocassionally going to 90/10. I, like some others who have played EQ2 since beta, know that it did at one time utilize the multicore processors to a much better level than now, not really 50/50 but more like 70/30 ( which is much better than even 90/10).
    They made a patch, update 28 I believe it was, to stop an error that was caused by some multicore systems. The error gave some unintentional speed hacks due to the timing of the cores. Now, if they truely cared about not burning up one of the cores in multicore users systems, they would find an actual fix for this bug rather than penalizing those of us willing to embrace new technology.
    Not even going to go into an SLI rant. "The way it is meant to be played"???????????????
  9. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

Holymoly@Runnyeye wrote:
    In case you were unaware, supporting current hardware is a lot different than requiring cutting edge equipment. People complain about EQ2 because as you upgrade to newer hardware your performance generally decreases.
    Your statement would make more sense if you were talking about Crysis, but it had nothing to do with the OP's question at all.
  10. ARCHIVED-Kotomi Guest

hdfxe78 wrote:
    When you say 50/50 processor usage, do you mean each core being used at 50% or each core being used at 100%? I'm seeing roughly equal use of both cores in WoW and RF, but they're not being used 100%. Both cores being used does not equal multicore support, it is simply a scheduling thing where the operating system switches which processor runs the game. True multicore usage would be the game being able to use both cores at 100%.
  11. ARCHIVED-Wingrider01 Guest

hdfxe78 wrote:
    Run a quad core with a pair of 7950GX2's (soon to be replaced with 9800GX2's) on a 680I motherboard (the board has three PCI Express x16 slots), play WOW also , it does not access the 3rd and 4th processor core. If the application was written to truely support parallel processing it would balance across ALL cores available in a system. coding to offload some processes to the second core does not equate patrallel processing capable. In addition do a search here, the QA team has verified that eq2 does offload to the second core.
    Play fine even in a raid senario with full graphics on except for shadows, that is by preference I detest shadows, although I do also turn off particle effects simpley because I cannot see what is happening.
    Update 28 patch primarly was for the way AMD implemented the X2 processor builds, in conjunction the AMD Dual-Core Optimizer drivers needed to be loaded to correclty fix the issue.
  12. ARCHIVED-TSR-TrevorG Guest

Looks like a good conversation here.

No EQ2 does not support multi processors currently.
  13. ARCHIVED-Caipira Guest

TSR-TrevorG wrote:
    "Currently" Trevor? I know reading too much into the post is just asking for dissapointment, but are there plans to rehaul the software for multi-processors enhancements, or will it be EQ3 before its just "compatible"
  14. ARCHIVED-TSR-TrevorG Guest

I have not heard of any plans to make it multi processor, nor have I heard of EQ3. I will try and watch my verbage about this in the future.
  15. ARCHIVED-Kotomi Guest

Dismas@Najena wrote:
    Probably not, Rothgar believed (according to comments on his blog) they'd see a larger performance increase from moving work from the CPU to the GPU compared to dual core enhancements, so it seems more likely that's where we'll see future performance increases from.
  16. ARCHIVED-TSR-DanielH Guest

Just to be clear, Everquest 2 is already compatible with multi-core processors. They don't provide a tangible increase in performance, though, since the game was designed to use just the single core.
  17. ARCHIVED-TSR-TrevorG Guest

:-/ Thats what I meant..no really.
  18. ARCHIVED-Nadr Guest

so ..
    your saying that when i upgraded my computer from a 3.0.. to a duelcore 2.66 that for EQ2 I downgraded my ability to play EQ2?
    I currently run at about 100% on core 2 and 5% on Core 1. There is mininmal offloading to the 2nd core if any.
  19. ARCHIVED-Elorah Guest

They implemented a dual core support recently I thought. I know that my playing went up somewhat...Game Update #49
  20. ARCHIVED-Nadr Guest

MULTICORE SUPPORT
    * EQII now runs better with more than one CPU.
    * The game automatically detects if you have more than one CPU.
    * There is an option to control whether the game uses multicore mode in the Options Window under Display -> Performance.
    * If you're running multiple clients on the same computer you may want to disable multicore mode.
    * Game clients prefer running on CPUs other than the first CPU.
    * Setting the multicore option has no effect on machines with one CPU.

I will agree that it runs better on the 2nd core.. that one stays at 100% most of the time. The first core however never goes past 20%. I am pretty sure since my normal operations runs 10-20% spread out over both cores when EQ2 is not running ... and 10-20% on Core 1 and 100% on Core 2 when it is, that the game is using Core 2 and not even touching Core 1.