Does block = parry?

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by 68strat, Mar 12, 2018.

1. 68strat New Member

I use a two hander and there are many aa's and abilities that say "increase chance to block". Yet none say "shield required"

so do I get the benefits of block if I use a 2 hander? or is block and parry different?
  2. Mermut Well-Known Member

Block is with shield, parry is with weapon. Non-brawlers require a shield to block.
  3. Armageddoux Active Member

and above all after a parry you can have opportunity of a riposte (impossible with block)
  4. Mermut Well-Known Member

Riposte (possible after a successful parry) never did much damage. With auto-attack values so low, riposte damage is not going to supply even 1% of a tank's damage
  5. Armageddoux Active Member

size doesn't matter! This is above all just the major concept of block vs parry which is discussed here
  6. Mermut Well-Known Member

I was providing additional information...
    1) A riposte can only happen after a successful parry (not guaranteed)
    and
    2) Damage from a riposte hit is small.

Both are relevant pieces of information.
  7. Airvh Active Member

If they ever need to upgrade a Tank's damage this might be the way to do it. Make riposte actually do damage. Make those old runes that gave extra points to riposte somewhat useful. Of course this would make Monks and Bruisers total masters of DPS since they always block a lot. Get a monk's block up to 150% or so and hes gonna have 70% block chance and 70% uncontested block chance.
  8. Mermut Well-Known Member

Riposte damage is just an auto-attack hit.. that is why the damage from it is so low.. auto-attack damage is tiny.
  9. Earar Well-Known Member

unless bruiser, you have a proc damage on succesful riposte