Does anyone use Dispel Magic??

Discussion in 'Warlock' started by ARCHIVED-Diapause, May 11, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-Diapause Guest

Seriously, I want to use this just to have something else to throw at the mob since I can't cast all my DPS spells so as to avoid aggro :) Has anyone seen anything beneficial when cast this in PvE?

Quattra - Lvl 70 Warlock
  2. ARCHIVED-nighthawk1675 Guest

i don't think i have ever used it
  3. ARCHIVED-Barobrain Guest

Good question. I have used it on alot of raids when the mob was mental immune since I had nothing else better to do really once I used all of my utility spells. And to be honest I never really saw anything get dispelled. So I dunno.

I would like to hear from someone that actually has seen this work somewhere somehow.....
  4. ARCHIVED-CoLD MeTaL Guest

You are suppose to use this to cast on a group friend to remove the affects of mob spells, not actually on the mob right. Kind of an equivalent of 'Cure Arcane' that the healers get.

Or am I misreading the spell completely.

I have never had occasion to use it, but I believe it is for removing 'magic DoTs' from people in group that the mob has applied.
  5. ARCHIVED-Dajuuk Guest

I think in the low levels we get both a cure arcane and a dispell magic spell. Both are non upgradeable spells, or at least we used to get them. I don't think I have thought about what might have happened to them during the 1-20 revamp so one or the other could be gone now. At the time not very many npc's ran around with buffs on. Especially at the low levels, and I have found that in a lot of cases loosing the DPS to attempt to cure arcane is worse then just letting the healers deal with it. So I don't really use either.
  6. ARCHIVED-Araxes Guest

Dispel magic is an offensive spell that is useful against priest and mage NPC's. It generally removes beneficial buffs up to 2 levels higher than your own level.
  7. ARCHIVED-hoosierdaddy Guest

Keeper of Alacrity (final mob of 4th awakening trial) casts a nasty mental Ae that'll drop you, if not cured, in two rounds. If you're out of range of your priest, this spell will dispell the Ae before it can kill you.
    This is the only ready example I can think of where I've actually used it though. We've been doing 4th trial about once/week for guildies and I've used this spell more lately than ever before, although I'm sure other mobs use mental attacks. Probably more useless than not though.
    -Kai
  8. ARCHIVED-Pinski Guest

Dispel Magic will not save you from that DoT. Cure Arcane casted on yourself will.
  9. ARCHIVED-masseman Guest

Yes thats what the description says -but does it really work ? :smileyhappy:
  10. ARCHIVED-hoosierdaddy Guest

Dispel Magic will not save you from that DoT. Cure Arcane casted on yourself will.

Err, yep. I stand corrected (knew it was one of them). I don't have either dispel on my hotbar tbh, but instead press whatever icon lights up on my status effects and it selects which spell is necessary to cure the DoT.

-Kai
    Message Edited by hoosierdaddy on 05-12-2006 07:10 AM
  11. ARCHIVED-pharacyde Guest

Dispell magic is to debuff benefical buffs on a mob. Example are damamge shields or poison/desease buffs. Most mobs don't have those buffs up anyway. So using the spell doesn't do much. The doomwing npc in Halls of fate have soem damamge shield that can be debuffed with a divine dispell. Our healer does it quite often, so we dont get the damage shield hitting us. It's something you use rarely for sure.
  12. ARCHIVED-Delameko Stone Guest

Heh, I got the two spells mixed up as well when I started reading this thread.

I use Cure Arcane whenever AoE is a problem (Sirens in SS I recall being a problem). Don't think I've ever used Dispel Magic tho...
  13. ARCHIVED-hylozoist Guest

Dispel magic is only really useful in duels and against other players, and even then it's not useful enough to actually use. Mobs rarely have dispellable buffs.
  14. ARCHIVED-Maelwys1 Guest

unfortunately, the mobs it would be crucial to HAVE it work on, it's ineffective on...such as Corsolander...
    for solo and group heroics, its not even worth casting...
  15. ARCHIVED-Tuna99 Guest

There are group mobs in Nizara that have insane buffs on them. Was hoping that they could be dispelled. We tried it, but it didn't seem to work... was coming here to see if there was some other way to pull that off.
  16. ARCHIVED-TheStateFish Guest

Easiest way to remove the buff is kill the mob :)
    Jokes aside, dispell magic is all but useless.
    For the DoT buffs some have you could use the attack speed debuff hexdolls, less melee attacks mean less chance for them to proc.
    Otherwise I'd suggest resist gear against the damage type of the various mobs buffs.
    Only been in the zone twice and didn't read the descriptions of the buffs on the mobs there myself, but a poison dot with 10% melee hit proc is common.
    Goodluck
  17. ARCHIVED-Soul_Dreamer Guest

I use this spell quite alot while raiding if the mob is a caster or healer type. I decided it was worth a shot after testing it.
    How I tested it.....
    The girlfriend (Inquisitor) and I (Warlock) both play EQ2 but in different rooms of the house. one day the guild decided to have a bit of a play in the arena with our actual chars rather than the pets.
    The girlfriend decided to pick the opposite team to me so I shouted down that she was going to pay for that and she was my prime target, needless to say I got lots of giggleing and a "yeah right" from her.
    During a quite patch of fighting I was sat behind a pillar watching her buff up, it took about a minute to do all buffs as soon as she had finished I cast this spell on her witought her seeing me and it stripped off every single buff :). Another buff cycle ensued and I dd the same again, I can now hear searing coming from downstairs and I am LMFAO. on about the 5th cycle she figured out what was happening, she saw me in the corner of her screen, and came upstairs and gave me a kickin :(.
    I also tested it on the named Ravasect (Fury) in the caves on Ravasect isle and it takes off the thorns buff that fries have.
    So I know it takes off buffs (Beneficial Spells) and I use it alot :).
  18. ARCHIVED-Crono1321 Guest

Yeah you can't dispel anything with dispel magic...I've been trying to test it out on reactives/wards if I can remember in time, but no you can not dispel Damage shields/maintained buffs at all...I have tried this countless times on druid/chanter mobs with damage shield/ spell shields.